Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creature limit in Magic

Re: Creature limit in Magic

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Ehhh, that's more of a naming convention gripe than anything.

The attacker gets to decide on the blocking order of creatures that are blocking their attacking creatures. So in other words, if it were a game of Army Men or whatever, it would be like saying the defender could only declare which pieces were in a phalanx, but they didn't get to decide the actual order of the phalanx; the attacker somehow gets to pick which of the defender's pieces are at the head of the formation.

To call it "blocking order" places the emphasis on the act of blocking, which to me makes it clear that the defending player would strategically place their creatures in the order of their choosing, such that the attacker wouldn't get to just decide which creatures take the brunt of the damage. Since, as you know, damage can no longer be divided up as the attacker chooses - once upon a time, a 3/3 attacker could split its damage among 3 1/3 blockers as 1 to each, then cast a post-combat Pyroclasm to wipe the board - they have to try to maintain the functionality of the attacker deciding which creatures to beat up more in a multi-creature block situation, so this is the current implementation.

The gripe then, is "if it's called blocking order, why isn't it up to the defender? Why does the attacker decide in which order my creatures are blocking?"

It isn't that it doesn't work, it still kind of does - it just doesn't feel particularly good.
    I don't have a problem with this rule though. It's not like the attacker can make you block and if you choose to block it's not like your defenders would be able to stay out of the way reliably anyway. They're blocking after all. No way of knowing which path the attacker is going to take unless you are in a narrow pass or some such.

For all my nostalgia, Banding sucked big time. It left the non-banding player feeling confused and often rooked when a particularly neat combat trick let the Benalish Hero save the bigger ally he was blocking with.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    For all my nostalgia, Banding sucked big time. It left the non-banding player feeling confused and often rooked when a particularly neat combat trick let the Benalish Hero save the bigger ally he was blocking with.
    Speaking of nostalgia and such, there's something special about the old sets. I guess that the D&D inspiration was what resulted in cards like this:

Clearly meant for a really different gaming experience. I imagine a quartet of dudes playing this while drinking red wine and be like "Ok party, move on, lets shuffle the Villain's Deck. Get your fellowship ready: Josh, here's the Runesword you found the last night, Peter, take this powerful Ring of Ma'rûf, and Kenny, summon the Clay Statue. Now, are you prepared for the horrors that lurk in the Dungeon of Xantharthes, the Necromancer?"

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I don't see what the fuss is. There IS a limit... None negative Integer...
    Heh. I realize that we are all necessarily nerds to be having this discussion. But do you really have to wear the label with such big letters?

At any rate, I think that it is excellent that this game does not need an arbitrary limit. It is ugly to see those artificial caps. It tells me that the designers could not find a more elegant solution.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I don't think introducing an arbitrary creature limit would improve the game.

One of my most memorable games (albeit in playtesting) was against ESG when I had to figure out how to fend off like 40 Worm Harvest tokens with 5 dudes, a Jitte, and a SoFI.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Why are you picking on creatures? Just because you don't like crowded boards? Let's put a limit on lands in play, too. 4 lands max. And cards drawn per turn. 2 per turn beyond your first draw step. Also you can only untap 5 permanents per turn. Also, when you play something as a Morph it first enters the Phantom Zone and must battle General Zod and the other Kryptonian generals before entering the battlefield. Also tokens count as half a creature for these new rules. So you can have 10 tokens or 5 creatures. But since we always round down, you can actually have 11 tokens on the field. Also the battlefield is now called "The Field of Battle", capitalization required. And while playing on The Field of Battle, all stack interactions must be prefaced by "HALT, NECROMANCER. I shalt respond to thine unholy artifice with a magickal rune of mine own!"

Also you aren't allowed to play non-creature spells unless you are wearing a pointy wizard hat while rocking a full beard.

This game actually sounds way more fun than MTG.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I'd play the shit out of that game.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

I think a creature limit hatebear would be perfectly fine and maybe interesting, though.

WW
    2/2 (No sir, Golgari Charm)
    "When ~ enters play, choose a number X greater than 2. Each player chooses from the creatures they control up to X creatures and exiles the rest. When a creature would enter the battlefield, if it's controller controls X or more creatures, he/she exiles it instead."

/shrug

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    I think a creature limit hatebear would be perfectly fine and maybe interesting, though.

WW
    2/2 (No sir, Golgari Charm)
    "When ~ enters play, choose a number X greater than 2. Each player chooses from the creatures they control up to X creatures and exiles the rest. When a creature would enter the battlefield, if it's controller controls X or more creatures, he/she exiles it instead."

/shrug
    So Ward of Bones except fixed number and only for creatures?
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Sure, except that it also handles tokens and morphs and reanimated creatures and whatever else WotC comes up with in the future for putting creatures into play without "playing" them.

these machanics are already in the game. Limited Resources for example

Thread Information