4 Null Rod

3 Price of Progress

// Sideboard

SB: 3 Greater Gargadon

SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt

SB: 2 Shattering Spree

SB: 4 Smash to Smithereens

SB: 2 Ravenous Trap

According to my cockatrice experience, deck is quite competetive in current meta (winrate about 50%), but still not perfect, so any advise is welcomed:)
    Not sure about Gargadon in SB, I have never played against oath, maybe grafdigger's cage will be better in its slot and this exchange will free some space in SB, because is also good against dredge. I would like to include more red blasts of metal missteps maybe. What is your opinion about SB options?

Thanks.
    Last edited by datanaga; 01-21-2015 at 06:54 AM.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: Burn/Slight/Hate

I'd definitely switch Gargadon for Cage, you really want as many cards that work against both Dredge and Oath as possible. GGD does very little against the latter except for somehow weakening the BfB.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I'd definitely switch Gargadon for Cage, you really want as many cards that work against both Dredge and Oath as possible. GGD does very little against the latter except for somehow weakening the BfB.
    This is very true, even though they can just Show and Tell to get around it, at least you can REB/Pryroblast that.

I don't think I like Chalice in this deck. You can only really put it on 0 without collateral damage, which isn't all that great if you aren't on the play/have it first turn.

Since you are already running fetches, a light Green splash would allow you access to Ancient Grudge, which is really good.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2010
    Hearth of the Earth

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I already get rid of gorilla shamans from maindeck and Im playing 2x mental missteps in this slot.

Im not very happy with price of progress in wasteland deck, it is always pain draw it after wasted land. I would like to cut one copy, but Im not sure what could be played in its slot. What is your suggestion for card with fast and permanent damage? Sometimes Im not able to kill oponent (struggling on one land and several dead moxes for several turns) in time and he recovers.

Maybe rakdos cackler is worth considering, in my eyes it seems better than monastery swiftspear in this deck, but I did not testet it yet.

What do you think is best replacement for maindecked chalice? It is true, that on draw is almost dead card, but on play could be devastating. On play, first turn I need drop fast creature and chalice for 0, to be well positioned in game. Fist turn eidolon with misstep in hand or null rod is also good.

My SB is now:

3x smash to smihereens
    3x shattering spree
    4x grafdiggers cage
    2x pyroblast
    2x ravenous trap
    1x mental misstep

Im considering -1x smash to mishereens, -1x shattering spree, +2x ancient grudge and 1x taiga instead of 1x mountain

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think you can certainly get in some Chain Lightnings. If you are seeing a bunch of Workshops though, Goblin Vandal is a funny, yet surprisingly effective card. He just gets bad really fast if they are running Mishra's Factory.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by datanaga View Post
    What is your suggestion for card with fast and permanent damage?
    Goblin Vandal or Shrapnel Blast? The latter might be fed by unnecessary moxen, Cotv or even artifact lands if need be.
    Also, in case you want to really hate shops, play Goblin Tinkerer, right? It's super duper for dealing with THEIR Chalices.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I'd play Viashino Heretic before Goblin Tinkerer. It also prevents them from getting a Blightsteel because you would probably just kill them. Sure it costs more mana, but Heretic just beats Shops on it's own if they don't either Dismember it, or keep a Revoker on it. Either way, it's good, even if it costs a bunch of mana in the Vintage sense.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I'd play Viashino Heretic before Goblin Tinkerer. It also prevents them from getting a Blightsteel because you would probably just kill them. Sure it costs more mana, but Heretic just beats Shops on it's own if they don't either Dismember it, or keep a Revoker on it. Either way, it's good, even if it costs a bunch of mana in the Vintage sense.
    Yeah. That was the one I originally thought about, but for some reason I forgot that the card isn't Goblin but Viashino and ever since then I was on the wrong track.

Mar 2010
    Hearth of the Earth

Thanks for all your advice.

I tried to cut chalices from maindeck completely and did not miss them, because on draw or later in game they were awfull.

I also cut 1 price of progress.

I could not find any space for chain lightnings:(

Differences from my initial list is now:

-2 gorilla shaman
    -3 chalice of the void
    -1 price of progress
    -1 mountain

+3 mental misstep
    +3 rakdos cackler
    +1 taiga

My SB is now:

2x smash to smihereens
    2x shattering spree
    2x ancient grudge
    4x grafdiggers cage
    2x red elemental blast
    2x ravenous trap
    1x mental misstep

Regarding artifact hate)

Goblin Tinkerer is imho bit worse against moxes than gorilla shaman, he is better against chalice@1, but my sb artifact hate dont care about chalice@1.

Not sure if Viashino Heretic is playable against MUD/stax, they play a lot of artifacts which increases cost of our spells, 3CMC is a lot, because I want to waste their shops every time i can, his effect is really powerfull, maybe he is playable in combination with other cheaper artifact hate.

Thread Information