Thread: Vintage Super League - Legacy equivalent?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Vintage Super League - Legacy equivalent?

It's nice that Randy Buehler promotes Vintage and all, but why don't we have a Legacy equivalent?

We shouldn't take what we have for granted, after SCG cutting down the number of Legacy Opens and Lee Sharpe going full retard with the Legacy MODO schedule.

It would be nice to have Legacy equivalent with Legacy VIPs (which we kinda lack currently). We currently don't have spokesman Wizards really listens to (because they only react when the big people start bitching).

It would also be nice to have another source of Legacy streaming.

Question is: Who would make the commentators? And where to get price support? VSL has the P9, we could have a playset of Wastelands (which costs more than the entire P9 on MODO ) or something similiar. But how to sponsor it?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: Vintage Super League - Legacy equivalent?

I'm a firm believer that viewership, prize support and publicity follows quality production. I've been thinking about exactly what you mention but the thing that's the biggest "deterrent" is the time you need to put into logistics. That includes having someone create kind of like a CI for the entire project with a website, stream overlay and a schedule that people will rigorously adhere to. If done right, you produce your first week; for bonus points you try to get a big name/semi-big name commentator on board. I think a lot of the SCG "celebrities" would be up for it. I'm sure I could also easily organize a lot of the Europeans you have probably heard about for it. After producing your first week's epsiode, you go show it around looking for a sponsor. If the quality is good, you will pickup someone to provide prize support.

But the thing is: getting things started from the technical site. To be honest I've never had the time to watch a lot of the VSL but their production always seems good compared to just regular streaming. That's where I see the biggest challenge. Not for it being too difficult but for the time it takes.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Probably because Legacy is such a shit format.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Probably because Legacy is such a shit format.
    You 5 DeadFormat players are adorable.

I think a Legacy equivalent of the VSL would be really entertaining.

Some how getting MTGO streamers together would be fun (if only to hopefully get myself involved) but any group of Legacy players would be fun to watch and follow different decks through the weeks.

I think a legacy super league would be super cool. There are enough notable streamers that are typically on different decks to make it interesting if they got involved. It seems that the modo daily events schedules getting moved around might make it easier to get a scheduled time that could work for people.

Oct 2014
    Albany, NY

It'd be a great thing. I'd watch it.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

I'd be glad to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

What makes VSL so much more fun than regular legacy content, in my opinion, is the players participating in it. It's some of the best vintage only players (Smennen and Atog Lord) as well as some of the greatest ever (Budde, Buhler etc) as well as some of the absolut best current players (EFro and LSV) playing.

Besides, all the people participating in the VSL have, for a long time, been outspoken about their love of the Vintage format. This makes for interesting games, as well as the commentary (by being some of the greatest to play the game) makes it a remarkable fun thing to watch and follow.

I'd be glad if their could be a legacy equivalent to the VSL, but with legacy being as profiled (compared to vintage) I think it'll be really hard to make worthwhile, unfortunately.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    What makes VSL so much more fun than regular legacy content, in my opinion, is the players participating in it. It's some of the best vintage only players (Smennen and Atog Lord) as well as some of the greatest ever (Budde, Buhler etc) as well as some of the absolut best current players (EFro and LSV) playing.
    I agree. And also, I think the players are in it more for the fun and show factor rather than the prizes. Legacy players are such spikes. Immediately thinking about good prize support to organize this and that.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

I also agree, prize support obv. be 0, fame and glory should be enough... it might be hard to assamble high quality yet attractive legacy characters - how many are there after all? There are plenty of scg "stars" on the other hand I believe a lot of best european players are mostly unrecognized online outside of their archetype/country and probably the same goes for rest of the world, then come timezones, cardpool and other technical difficulties... but if anyone manages to run it I'll love to watch it

Thread Information