Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaner Deck

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Loaner Deck

It's time for me to put together a new loaner deck. My other loaner decks have gotten a little less relevant.

Criteria

The deck should be somewhat easy to play, the borrower would be an experienced player, but not necessarily familiar with the format.

The deck should be powerful, do enough cool things to draw the player into the format.

The deck should be able to recover from minor misplays.

Right now I'm thinking something like shardless bug would be a cool choice. The deck draws a lot of cards, attacks with creatures, runs a variety of card types. It also can reward a more creative player but can also play a simple linear game.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: Loaner Deck

MUD is a good one.

Doesn't needs duals. The only expensive land is Wasteland though it doesn't need it.

Most of the cards needed on the deck are EDH bombs, so its a 2 for 1 deal.

Lets see if the following is answered:

The deck should be somewhat easy to play, the borrower would be an experienced player, but not necessarily familiar with the format.
    All plays are straightforward. Play Chalice at 1 (this is actually the hardest since the number of counters on Chalice matters from deck to deck), resolve a Trinisphere, Resolve a threat, and nope to win the game. Sequencing matters too although its not that complicated.

The deck should be powerful, do enough cool things to draw the player into the format.
    Turn 2 Trinisphere followed by a turn 3 Wurmcoil seems powerful to me.

The deck should be able to recover from minor misplays.
    This is the only glaring issue with the deck. If you screw your manabase over by sequencing your City of Traitors wrong or activating Wasteland at the wrong time, you might lock yourself out of the game. There's also the issue of drawing blanks since you don't have card selection.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Team America would be good, imo. Stable and proactive but more able to rely on the quality of its cards than RUG is. Developing mana is a bit more straightforward than Shardless, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

U/G Infect or Food Chain Combo.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

_____ Delver, Miracles.

Maybe not easy to master, but easy to pickup and super forgiving. Not many super-lopsided matchups, and basically none where you just have no interaction.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Mar 2010
    geneva, the frozen waste

I don't know if it's well placed in the current meta but sneak & show fills the criteria.

Ease of play : check

Powerful : first turn flying spaghetti monster with force back up, check

forgiveness : well the sheer power makes it relatively nice even if you make some minor misplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    Magic would be a lot more interesting if more Punks played it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Wow, you're right!

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Really straight forward/simple decks like Shardless BUG, Jund or Show and tell would be nice. Delver decks, or decks where you are consistently the aggressor, are pretty easy to do well with if you are generally good at magic, but are not very forgiving to mistakes.

I would avoid control/prison decks like miracles, lands or D&T require a lot more knowledge of the meta and your decks construction. And alsoavoid decks that have a lot of complex interactions or toolbox effects like elves, maverick or storm.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

I'll echo SnS as the top "this is what Legacy is capable of" deck.

Next would be BUG Delver IMO.

To Richard Cheese: Miracles is one of the hardest decks to pilot in the format, so while flipping cards with Top/CB seems fun, it's not easy because sometimes you won't have a top and need to set up informed flips with BS and/or Ponder which wouldn't be possible if you aren't moderately familiar with the deck on the other side of the table.

BUG Delver (Team America), Shardlesz, Show & Tell, MUD, Miraclezzz.. you guys must be boring in bed

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    Miraclezzz.. you guys must be boring in bed
    No, we just aren't in a rush to get it over with
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Infect has the upsides of being cheap, being Modern-playable (relevant if they have experience in that format), and being pretty straightforward. Kind of glass-cannon-y though, so maybe not so good as a loaner deck for people who you consider friends.

Delver decks of various stripes are pretty robust, but pretty boring to play. The upside here is that you don't have to have a ton of format knowledge to make correct counterspelling decisions since you're mostly just looking to stay ahead of your opponent, not control everything they do. The BUG/Team America versions are better here because the amount of disruption means you can just win some games by running your opponent out of usable cards without ever really having to figure out what he's doing.

X Stompy decks, especially Dragon Stompy, are fine loaner decks for small-scale events. They're pretty straightforward, cheap(ish) to build (by the standards of this format, anyway), and theoretically have game against everything. The problem is that the deck is very solidly Tier 2 if not Tier 2.5, so the chances your friend wins prize aren't hot at bigger events.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Probably Sneak Attack is best choice - you can train someone in minutes, deck is still powerful - not in all formats you have hasty 15/15 anihilator 6 turn 1-2 or Bergain with Legs.

Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, Tx

I highly recommend Punishing Jund. It's straight forward powerful cards. Easy to play with, lots of powerful cards to catch a persons interest into the format.
    Current Decks with List:
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_s...sult.asp?MDA=1
    My Dream: The Dojo Comics and Games
    http://www.gofundme.com/g754rg

As long as it has brainstorm it should be easy to play with.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by aluisiocsantos View Post
    As long as it has brainstorm it should be easy to play with.
    Brace yourself, the "skill intensive" arguments are coming.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

Sneak and Show or Monored Sneak Attack.
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziveeman View Post
    Sneak and Show or Monored Sneak Attack.
    Ahh, I love Mono R sneak. I used to have a RW Sneak brew, which worked a bit with some MUD weapons such as trinisphere, bloodmoon and grim monolith, but also had white for enlightened tutor so you could get an EOT search for blightsteel colossus, or Sneak Attack. It also had a little more creatures since I had sol lands and monolith, I also ran at least 3 lodestone golems, added to griselbrand and emrakul. It was the nuts, i can get you the list of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Brace yourself, the "skill intensive" arguments are coming.
    The worst part is that it actually satisfy all 3 pre-requesites.

The Might Quinn! Only had someone borrow it once...but he prized at our local. It's also dirt cheap compared to everything else.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Monoblack Pox. Winning is fun, but your opponents losing is even more fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Another vote for BUG Delver and a vote for UWR Delver.

Bonus points for UG Infect, its an easy combo like Sneak and Show, but it gets bonus points since the deck strategy is comparable to it's Modern Counterpart.

Recommending Miracles seems like a bad idea and I would also not recommend RUG Delver as making mistakes with that deck is very unforgiving.

Thread Information