Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: [PRIMER] Oozing

Re: [PRIMER] Oozing

There was a prompt from Phil Gallagher on reddit asking for Ooze decklists and I noticed that Phyrexian Devourer is a construct

4 Necrotic Ooze
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Scrapyard Recombiner
    4 Emry, Lurker of the Loch
    4 Baleful Strix
    1 Thought Monitor
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Mindless Automaton

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Force of Will
    1 The Ozolith

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Urza's Saga
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Underground Sea

Looking back at this list I guess the blue count is a bit low, maybe trim ravager, recombiner, ooze for more thought monitor or something

Its cool that ooze takes the Emry ability as well

Sep 2011

Doesn't Ooze combo need something like Buried Alive to get the relevant abilities in the graveyard (Phyrexian Devourer, Walking Ballista)?

Is the plan to untap with Necrotic Ooze (no summoning sickness), tap to use Scrapyard Recombiner's ability to sacrifice another artifact and put Mindless Automaton in hand, cast it, then untap again with Ooze, use Recombiner's ability again sacrificing Automaton to put Devourer in hand, use Automaton's ability to discard it, then start going off?

Would Buried Alive or some other graveyard tutor be good here?

//Lands: 18
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Urza's Saga
    4 Vault of Whispers
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Swamp

//Artifacts: 16
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Retrofitter Foundry

//Spells: 4
    4 Buried Alive

//Planeswalkers: 4
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Creatures: 18
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Scrapyard Recombiner
    4 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Mindless Automaton
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Griselbrand

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Defense Grid
    1 Spellskite
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Nettlecyst
    2 Bloodchief's Thirst

Another option would be to use Artificer's Intuition to discard Devourer from hand while tutoring for Ballista.

I didn't want to put Buried Alive in the deck because if you don't have Ooze available it literally doesn't do anything and you don't have any cantrips or ooze tutors

Likewise why put Griselbrand in that list? The only way it's going to the graveyard is by buried alive, and the only way you can make use of it in the graveyard is by having ooze in play, in which case you also have ballista/devourer in the graveyard from the Buried Alive, so you just win on the spot anyway. The Griselbrand doesn't do anything

I like Karn (it gives you another way to search for devourer for example) but I couldn't find space to include it while also keeping the blue count up for FoW and having a manacurve that makes sense
    It's possible that a monoblack version of the deck is better

Doesn't Ooze combo need something like Buried Alive to get the relevant abilities in the graveyard (Phyrexian Devourer, Walking Ballista)?
    Ballista just goes to the graveyard by itself, maybe the deck needs a better way to discard the Devourer (Key to the city or Underworld Cookbook etc) I just wanted to explore options for Constructs that discard (I guess lore Broker and Bomat Courier are other possible options but they don't seem very good either)

Is the plan to untap with Necrotic Ooze (no summoning sickness), tap to use Scrapyard Recombiner's ability to sacrifice another artifact and put Mindless Automaton in hand, cast it, then untap again with Ooze, use Recombiner's ability again sacrificing Automaton to put Devourer in hand, use Automaton's ability to discard it, then start going off?
    Or you can use the in-play recombiner to sac itself to search for 1 thing then use the ability on ooze to sac something else and search for the other thing etc etc
    The point is that yes even if it's a bit clunky you don't have to do it in such a rush when you have the artifact stompy kind of shell around it which is hopefully a reasonable thing to be doing

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    I didn't want to put Buried Alive in the deck because if you don't have Ooze available it literally doesn't do anything and you don't have any cantrips or ooze tutors

Likewise why put Griselbrand in that list? The only way it's going to the graveyard is by buried alive, and the only way you can make use of it in the graveyard is by having ooze in play, in which case you also have ballista/devourer in the graveyard from the Buried Alive, so you just win on the spot anyway. The Griselbrand doesn't do anything
    Yeah, maybe it's bad. It's a holdover from mono B Buried Alive versions I ran ages ago.

You have to Buried Alive for 3 cards anyway. The tech is that if one of them is stuck in hand (especially Devourer), you can Buried Alive for Griselbrand + Ballista + anything, draw 7, end step discard, and then combo off. That made even more sense when the other combo piece was also uncastable Triskelion and either 1-of could be stranded in hand. I guess Mindless Automaton lets you discard too.

Key to the City is another way, and less clunky than Automaton.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I guess Mindless Automaton lets you discard too.

Key to the City is another way, and less clunky than Automaton.
    Yeah that's why I put automaton in the deck, to discard (But it's barely cheaper than just hardcasting devourer anyway, I agree it's not very good)
    Unfortunately Key to the City isn't a construct but it could be okay to put in the SB with Karn
    Underworld Cookbook seems ok as a discard outlet because you can find it with Urza's Saga

The more I think about it the more I like the blue version of the deck because using Scrapyard Recombiner to search for Thought Monitors seems pretty good
    Probably the deck also wants at least 1 Hangarback Walker and Emry with no baubles also seems a bit sus

4 Necrotic Ooze
    3 Walking Ballista
    3 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Scrapyard Recombiner
    4 Emry, Lurker of the Loch
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Thought Monitor
    1 Phyrexian Devourer

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Force of Will
    1 Retrofitter
    1 Cookbook

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Urza's Saga
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Underground Sea

Sep 2011

Blue count is too low for FoW. Why not run more disruption (Thorn of Amethyst) or card draw (Thoughtcast, Intuition).

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Blue count is too low for FoW. Why not run more disruption (Thorn of Amethyst) or card draw (Thoughtcast, Intuition).
    Thorn is not a maindeck card I don't think
    Thoughtcast is fine but what do you want to cut for it

Aug 2011
    Valencia !

New Pandaman list?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4619508#paper

We need the sideboard's deck.

Thread Information