Re: [PRIMER] Oozing

New tops!
    @DNSolver with Ponder and mentor :

http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=25374&iddeck=199181

And my Last top :

http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=25255&iddeck=198108

With green sb. I Will report it.

Yeah I got top 4 of the challenge on Sunday.

I like this version of Griselbrand combo because of its resiliency against Surgical and its transformative plan into Mentor.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

How do you assemble the Necrotic Ooze combo with that list?

Edit: congrats on the finish!
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    How do you assemble the Necrotic Ooze combo with that list?

Edit: congrats on the finish!
    Entomb? How do you assemble the combo? With a 3 mana sorcery that is an awful topdeck and bad in multiples? I said before that right after the last challenge, where I top 16'd, I cut 3 Buried Alive and a Brutality for 4 Ponder. This was an EXCELLENT choice.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

Chill, dude. I don't play this deck, but I agree that Buried Alive doesn't look great. I saw your list on the MTGO results and really was just wondering how you put the combo together. Entombing several times seems like a chore, but I guess it works.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    Chill, dude. I don't play this deck, but I agree that Buried Alive doesn't look great. I saw your list on the MTGO results and really was just wondering how you put the combo together. Entombing several times seems like a chore, but I guess it works.
    Entomb grissel, reanimate him (preferably with shallow grave) draw a bunch of cards (including Mana rocks / DR) either use extra entombs/brutality/Cabal Therapy to get them in the yard. Or pass the turn, discard your combo and combo off in their upkeep.

@DNSolver, do you board the entire 15 in? If so, what pieces are you removing?

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Usually after getting a hasty Griselbrand you have one or two pieces of the combo in hand and also one or two Entombs. Then all you have to do is bin it all and get the Ooze down. The upkeep win has to be one of the most stylish with this deck.

Me: move to discard, bin a bunch of cards.

Opponent: untap, upkeep, dra

Me: wait, I'm winning in your upkeep.

I'll run the list sans Buried Alive to see how it feels. Congrats DNSolver and pin on your results!

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Dammit, now I want to play Oozing again :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    @DNSolver, do you board the entire 15 in? If so, what pieces are you removing?
    I'm curious about this too. Some of the sideboard pieces are pretty match up dependent like Surgical, Flusterstorm, Swords. What's your SB strategy when you switch to the mentor plan, @DNSolver?

In case you guys missed it, I lost exactly one match of Legacy yesterday in the challenge, with the same decklist as last weekend.

@Prosner the sideboarding varies depending on matchup. It is extremely difficult and complex. Sideboarding is perhaps the single greatest opportunity to lose games with this deck, besides screwing up with Shallow Grave.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    In case you guys missed it, I lost exactly one match of Legacy yesterday in the challenge, with the same decklist as last weekend.

@Prosner the sideboarding varies depending on matchup. It is extremely difficult and complex. Sideboarding is perhaps the single greatest opportunity to lose games with this deck, besides screwing up with Shallow Grave.
    @DNSolver As a general rule, when you board in Mentors, do you board out the combo all together? Or do you do you keep some combo pieces in and use the Mentors as a plan b?
    I'm sure it depends on the match up, but my guess is that you generally don't abandon the Ooze combo all together even Mentors come in, is that right?

Congrats on another strong finish!

As a general rule, Mentor is plan A against 1) decks that can't deal with it, and 2) decks that are very good against the Griselbrand avenue. I rarely board out both Griselbrands, but usually the Ooze package is trimmed / cut entirely. I like Entomb post-board with Mentor because of Therapy. You can turn 2 Dark Ritual, Mentor, (play all probes and petals), entomb, flashback therapy.

Edit for clarity: Again, keep in mind that you can't mindlessly sideboard with the deck. You have to keep the opponent guessing and re-evaluate sideboarding decisions after G2 based on what you saw and what your opponent saw.

Ok, I'm working out a sideboardplan (with the mentor sideboard)

I know you can't mindlessly sideboard, but just some general directions for what to get out if switching.

If I look at Pin_Vlc's plan, he goes all in, boarding all in and removing:

-2 exhume
    -2 griselbrand
    -1 Entomb
    -1 triskelion
    -3 buried alive
    -2 reanimate
    -4 shallow grave

With the mentor side, I was thinking something like this:

-1 Necrotic Ooze
    -1 Griselbrand
    -1 Triskelion
    -4 Shallow Grave
    -2 Exhume
    -2 Reanimate

+4 Monastery Mentor
    +4 Swords to Plowshares
    +3 Echoing Truths
    +2 Flusterstorm (doesn't do any good against Eldrazi I think, maybe for All is Dust, although if they didn't see mentor, they normally don't board it in)

I was thinking to keep a triskelion in as removal, but it mostly takes another card (or 2) to get into play. The Devourer still is a win con, with Ooze. Ooze is still good with all kind of shenanigans. Also tempted to keep a griselbrand in like DNSolver, in the yard he is still good with ooze out :-) But with one Grisel, one should keep the couple of reanimates in (or exhume or Shallow grave against chalice decks)

And indeed, always keep the entombs in. They are too good for many things.

So the things to get out are:
    -1 Griselbrand
    -1 Ooze
    -1 Triskelion
    -4 Shallow Grave

and then:
    -2 Exhume against decks with their own good creatures in the yard or against reanimate decks
    or
    -2 Reanimate against chalice decks, and definitly keep it in against reanimate decks :-)
    (of course against reanimate decks, NOT boarding in the mentors is better)

Against chalice decks, the mentor plan should normally work. Played with my Bomberman list against Eldrazi too much, but still, if they get some sweeper online (Endbringer, Fiery Confluence, Deluge (not in a chalice deck normally :-))), it can spell game over for us. Although still the option of rebuilding.

Against combo decks, you still have the surgicals and the flusterstorms, sometimes the echoing truth.

Oozers rejoice! Silent Gravestone is here to replace Ground Seal.

Aug 2011
    Valencia !

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Oozers rejoice! Silent Gravestone is here to replace Ground Seal.
    Bye Bye ground seal!

What are your guys lists looking like? I haven't played much of Ooze in awhile - been preferring BR, TinFins, Depths, etc. Something I was trying out in Esper Tinfins (see my stream from this past week) was 4 Preordain over 4 Git Probe. It sounds awful, considering how good probe is in reducing deck size, providing information, etc. However, the digging was super strong for hands without Entomb. Perhaps you guys could consider something like that? I actually 5-0'd with Esper TinFins on Thursday but the list didn't get posted, then 4-1'd on Friday - Monastery Mentor transformation out of the board still wrecked people, and switching it up for G3 was tasty.

I don't think that Silent Gravestone or Ground Seal are very good, because restricting yourself to just Exhume and Shallow Grave (8 cards, all 2 mana) lowers your turn 1 rate - it means that you can't turn 1 without a dark ritual or *two* petals, while having Reanimate helps turn 1s. I especially don't think that Silent Gravestone would be nearly as good, as it doesn't cantrip immediately. The only benefits are a better manabase (though you might want green for Abrupt Decay / Reverent Silence anyway) and coming down cheaper to ignore Daze.

Is anyone playing a Burning Wish version? I know that idea was thrown around before. I'm not suggesting it for any competitive reason - I just have been really liking Burning Wish -> Empty the Warrens as a transformative sideboard plan and I'm curious if anyone has input on Grixis colors for Burning Wish.

Hey guys!
    Could anyone explain me the reason of playing triskelion over walking ballista?

Being able to Reanimate, Exhume, or Shallow Grave Triskelion when necessary.

Aug 2011
    Valencia !

New top and Deck list.

http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=27741&iddeck=223600

R1 grixis Delver 2-0
    R2 sneack and show 2-0
    R3 grixis Delver 0-2
    R4 br reanimator 2-0
    R5 id
    Top 8 Steel stompy 2-0