Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continuous Legacy Articles

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Continuous Legacy Articles

Hey guys,

I'm proud to announce to that I am now part of MTG Mint Card which enables me to write a bi-weekly Legacy column!

I already have a topic for my first article, but if you have any questions/ideas/requests - just let me know! :)

Thanks for your ongoing support, everybody!

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Re: Continuous Legacy Articles

Awesome news!

Since you probably don't want to write an article about Miracles so close to the GP, I'd love an article about the Grixis Landstill deck you mentioned in your last article.

Also, maybe you could answer why you prefer Grixis Landstill to UWR Landstill. You mentioned the lack of "good" threats in Grixis colors, aside from small blue creatures and man-lands. Since white now has access to Myth Realized as a powerful threat under a Standstill, shouldn't UWR Landstill be better? Are Innocent Blood and Toxic Deluge just better than StP / Supreme Verdict? Are Thoughtseize / Slaughter Games so powerful against combo/control that they justify the black splash?

May 2011
    Noricum

:)

I was already given the first topic, it's a Legacy primer for GP Lille, so it's more for newer players and less for veterans, but I'm very free to write about what I want after that. I'll most def. write about GP Lille once I am back, regardless of my result. But after that I'll try to expand my horizon as far as possible, and I'd love to write about Grixis!

And, those questions - are these ones you'd like to see answered in depth in an article or would you be prefer to hear my opinion before the GP? Let me know. :)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm proud to announce to that I am now part of MTG Mint Card which enables me to write a bi-weekly Legacy column!

I already have a topic for my first article, but if you have any questions/ideas/requests - just let me know! :)

Greetings
    Great news, congratulations! I look forward to reading all of your articles.
    Also, what's the best way to ensure I get notifications each time one of your articles is published?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I guess you'll have to visit MTG Mind Card's website every now and then
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Yes. I would like if you wrote an article about Death and Taxes aka the best deck in legacy if you have pro skillz at the magic.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro95 View Post
    Great news, congratulations! I look forward to reading all of your articles.
    Also, what's the best way to ensure I get notifications each time one of your articles is published?
    Thanks!

I'll link them on TheSource, tweet about it on Twitter and also put it up on Reddit. If you're into any of those, you won't miss them. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Yes. I would like if you wrote an article about Death and Taxes aka the best deck in legacy if you have pro skillz at the magic.

Marc, I think I'm not good enough to win with a deck like this, that's too much handicap! :(

Greetings

I would like to read some articles featuring the matchups that have arisen in the format since the existing Miracles primers and articles were published, namely these Grixis decks (both control and tempo). I believe a fairly recent post of yours (or perhaps it was an article) lists Grixis Delver in particular as an even harder tempo matchup than RUG. The matchup with the other tempo decks has been worked out in detail and not much update would seem to be necessary, but there's comparatively little for these newer ones. I feel that the hardest tempo matchup is the one most worthy of the Miracle Master's attention.

Case study articles of particular games available on video would be cool to read too, especially where your own evaluation differs from that presented by the commentators.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    I would like to read some articles featuring the matchups that have arisen in the format since the existing Miracles primers and articles were published, namely these Grixis decks (both control and tempo). I believe a fairly recent post of yours (or perhaps it was an article) lists Grixis Delver in particular as an even harder tempo matchup than RUG. The matchup with the other tempo decks has been worked out in detail and not much update would seem to be necessary, but there's comparatively little for these newer ones. I feel that the hardest tempo matchup is the one most worthy of the Miracle Master's attention.

Case study articles of particular games available on video would be cool to read too, especially where your own evaluation differs from that presented by the commentators.
    These are some interesting points! I'll make sure to include them at some point in time! :)

Greetings

Awesome news !

I bookmarked the site.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by CorwinB View Post
    Awesome news !

I bookmarked the site.
    Thank you very much!

Now you won't miss anything! Great! :)

Greetings

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

This probably wouldn't have much practical application, but I'd love to see an article about the types of effects Wizards would need to print for a higher CMC card to be viable in legacy in "normal decks"--or, effects costed efficiently enough to be worth building into a little bit. This has been something that's come up quite often when I've been considering lists for Modern, and would be curious also for Legacy, just from design perspective. For example, if you look at 4 cmc cards you basically have Jace and Natural Order for maindeck cards that you might expect to see (not even Sneak attack anymore...). (And some higher CMC stuff in like cloudpost or sol-land decks, which are a bit degenerate.) Of course, the tricky part is making something that make sense. Obviously if you put Emrakul at 4 cmc it would be beyond broken, but we know that that's just not something realistic for Wizards to print. Frankly, any higher cmc which is legacy viable is unlikely, but thinking about where that boundary is would be interesting to me.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    This probably wouldn't have much practical application, but I'd love to see an article about the types of effects wizards would need to print for a higher CMC card to be viable in legacy (even in one deck). For example, if you look at 4 cmc cards you basically have Jace and Natural Order for maindeck cards that you might expect to see.
    Yeah, I'm not that much into speculative stuff, but I can surely make a spotlight on the Wizard tribe in Legacy at some point, would need to get a bunch load of testing that deck in before writing that. Thanks for the idea! :)

Greetings

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

I meant Wizards the company, not the tribe :P But perhaps you're just being clever...

May 2011
    Noricum

I meant Wizards the company, not the tribe :P But perhaps you're just being clever...
    Reading is hard, isn't it?

I'm terribly sorry, lol.

Well, that makes much more sense now. Thanks for the idea, maybe I'll come back to this at one point. :)
    Btw, I'm still playing your Swords to Plowshares every single time I play Legacy. :D

Greetings

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Glad you like them. I haven't done any alters since then, although I keep thinking about it... Here's a swath of ideas for you:

• Rules/interactions worth knowing that might not be well known
    • Flexibility vs. consistency--think about 15 differenct cards in a sideboard vs. a configuraiton of 4/4/4/3. Can also apply to maindecks.
    • Ways to improve your play testing experience. Could be in efficiency, worth of data, anything.
    • How to appropriately evaluate the value of one card over another. For example, do you want 2 Jace/1 Dig Through Time in your deck or 3 Jace? How do you decide if that Dig is better than the Jace. Maybe not a great example, but I think this gives the idea...Fine tuning those last slots in lists can be incredibly difficult.
    • Playing to your outs. This is a fun topic I think,
    • How to most effectively use force of will. Force is such an ubiquitous card, but I think a lot of people misunderstand how/when it is appropriate to cast it. Do you force that T1 delver? Do you wait for something else? How does your decision change depending on your hand/deck? Etc.
    • Hell, you could do this for a whole lot of cards.
    • The role of wasteland--playing with and against it.
    • Overlooked/underrated/niche but super useful sideboard options.
    • Recursion in legacy--when is it viable? (If at all.) By recursion, I mean stuff like Punishing Fire/Grove and....Well, that's probably it. I just love recursion in all things and would love reading about it.
    • Splashing colors. Does your UR delver deck need some more tools, goyf myabe? Or how about when some Shardless BUG splashed white for Meddling Mage? Does your Omni-tell list need red or black or both? These are not minor decisions, but can have huge impacts on your deck and how it performs.

Anyway, this is just what I thought of off the top of my head and quality of suggestions may vary. I might come up with some more topics if I feel like thinking about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Hey guys,

Greetings
    First, congratz for this, it is always a pleasure to see a great player starting to write articles.

I have a rather strange topic suggestion, the development from the original Counter-Top list (aka the first one who had a notable tournament finish) to the current Miracles builds. For myself it is always interesting to see the development of a deck over a long period of time (especially when I find some goodies/strategies for other decks).

Greetings,
    Kathal

May 2011
    Noricum

Glad you like them. I haven't done any alters since then, although I keep thinking about it... Here's a swath of ideas for you:

• Rules/interactions worth knowing that might not be well known
    • Flexibility vs. consistency--think about 15 differenct cards in a sideboard vs. a configuraiton of 4/4/4/3. Can also apply to maindecks.
    • Ways to improve your play testing experience. Could be in efficiency, worth of data, anything.
    • How to appropriately evaluate the value of one card over another. For example, do you want 2 Jace/1 Dig Through Time in your deck or 3 Jace? How do you decide if that Dig is better than the Jace. Maybe not a great example, but I think this gives the idea...Fine tuning those last slots in lists can be incredibly difficult.
    • Playing to your outs. This is a fun topic I think,
    • How to most effectively use force of will. Force is such an ubiquitous card, but I think a lot of people misunderstand how/when it is appropriate to cast it. Do you force that T1 delver? Do you wait for something else? How does your decision change depending on your hand/deck? Etc.
    • Hell, you could do this for a whole lot of cards.
    • The role of wasteland--playing with and against it.
    • Overlooked/underrated/niche but super useful sideboard options.
    • Recursion in legacy--when is it viable? (If at all.) By recursion, I mean stuff like Punishing Fire/Grove and....Well, that's probably it. I just love recursion in all things and would love reading about it.

Anyway, this is just what I thought of off the top of my head and quality of suggestions may vary. I might come up with some more topics if I feel like thinking about them.

Wow, those are a lot of ideas! Thank you very much for them! I'll most certainly include a couple of them in the time to come! :)

I already have an article about the SB thing you adressed but i never published it because it's not good enough, maybe I should re-visit the topic. :)

Greetings

I'd also be very interested to hear your take on Legacy vs. other formats you have played at a high competitive level recently (i.e. when you played Jeskai Tokens on the Pro Tour in Brussels).

Just general comparisons about what skills it takes to succeed at Legacy vs. Standard and the like, and of course, the view of Standard from an established Legacy player's perspective.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    I'd also be very interested to hear your take on Legacy vs. other formats you have played at a high competitive level recently (i.e. when you played Jeskai Tokens on the Pro Tour in Brussels).

Just general comparisons about what skills it takes to succeed at Legacy vs. Standard and the like.
    That's a good one! I'll make sure incorporate that! :) Thanks.

Greetings

Thread Information