Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Tempo

Re: [DTB] Grixis Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Is anyone else playing in the "legacy festival championship" tomorrow?

I am still pretty high on JPAs list, however I have been losing to clyde the glide drexler and his eldrazi taxes deck, which is like DnT but with displacer and TKS. Matchup doesnt feel good.
    I'm playing tomorrow, not on JPAs but Noah's, it's the list I personally play the best and did most of my testing with. I have a small variation in it only (Main Deck TNN and not playing V.Clique)

I think it's going to be a tough meta for Grixis to be honest, the deck just feels to fair... we'll see how it goes.

went 1-2 Drop. Very disappointed, felt pretty prepared. 2-0 against mono R burn, 0-2 against RUG Delver (mull to 6 both games against very good hands), 0-2 against depths combo, G1 lost in turn 3, G2 made a very bad mistake, costed me the game. I have videos of some games if people are interested, but my perf was horrible anyway.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Yeah, I got paired round 1 against silviawataru, and though I won game 1, I was outclassed game 2 and 3.

I got paired against Ben Friedman in round 2, and I lost g1 handily. His list was very interesting, Delver, TNN, Baleful Strix, Snapcaster Mage. g2 I got him to 3, bolted him with a daze in hand, he brainstorms, forces it, I daze, he has to crack to 1 life. I think I am at 14 at this point, him at 1, what could go wrong? I'll tell you what. From 1 card in hand, he plays TNN, I play DRS. He plays Jitte, gets counters goes up to 5. I decay jitte, he decays DRS and keeps attacking with TNN. I end up losing after bricking while he topdecks more gas.

0-2 drop. I was thinking about going on, but I was so mad and tilted I had to quit, otherwise it was just going to get worse. I don't think anything is wrong with the deck, you guys know how Delver mirrors are. I feel as though I played well, but I played against two very good opponents and didn't get quite as lucky as I needed to. It seemed as though there were a lot of Delver/Grixis players, so it will be exciting to see the top decks.

This list is SO SLEEK and looks amazing.

Noah Walker puts up consistent results with Grixis Delver, but let's not forget that Dylan Donegan has done the same, as well. Dylan took this deck in a slightly different direction. Lots of 4-ofs.

Some highlights for discussion. Would love your guys' thoughts:

• NO Young Pyromancer. Instead, this deck uses 4x Gurmag Angler.
    • NO Cabal Therapy or Stifle. Instead, this deck uses 4x Spell Pierce.
    • NO Vendilion Clique or True-Name Nemesis (makes room for the fourth Spell Pierce).
    • 2x Painful Truths in the SB.

Is this a worthy direction with which to experiment? Thoughts on no CB/Stifle? Does Dylan ever post here? Would love his thoughts and his tweaks for the future.

Dylan Donegan - 15th place at StarCityGames.com Classic on 7/24/2016

Creatures (12)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Gurmag Angler

Spells (30)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    1 Dismember
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Thought Scour
    1 Forked Bolt
    4 Ponder

Lands (18)

2 Flooded Strand
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    1 Null Rod
    1 Winter Orb
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Darkblast
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Painful Truths
    2 Thoughtseize

Tried a list very similiar to this one for a bit, didn't like that Thought Scour didn't do anything exept cantripping. It speeds up the Angler, but I rather have a counter or Stifle or a peek at the opponent with Probe instead. The Angler will follow soon after anyway. I play 3 Anglers myself and have close to no problems dropping one quick and a second one when I grab/search for it.

Spell Pierce is nice, but not insane without Stifle.
    Gurmag on the other side is really nice against fair decks, but it we give up the therapy combo vs. combo, playing no discard in the sideboard.
    Gurmag also just dies to Swords to Plowshares, so it's propably a worse threat than YP in the miracles matchup.

So it's a better list vs. Bolt and Decay decks, but less awesome against combo and Miracles.

https://www.twitch.tv/brettwjayne

Brett over on twitch took this list to the Legacy Festival yesterday so if you like you can watch him playing the list for 6 hours there.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Grixis Delver won it all & 4c Delver in 2nd place, nice.
    I really like the Jitte trend currently, it's just bonkers in all fair MU'S (Besides Miracles).

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...mps-2016-07-25

Does anybody know who those 2 players are?
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

@Manipulato: Have you tried it out? I guess the perfect scenario is with YP tokens, but in general I'd be scared to be sitting on a sole Jitte.

I mean, against "fair" decks they bring in even more removal postboard (=more chance to draw a dead Jitte) and against something like Elves I'd figure Grim Lavamancer to be better tbh.
    Last edited by Agrippa91; 07-25-2016 at 06:37 PM.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Both of them are regulat mtgo grinders, and they are both really good. Silvia has been playing strange lists forever, usually hedging on the more midrangey side. I lost to them round 1.

Grats to them! I wonder how the match against hill giant went, he is my friend so i will ask him.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa91 View Post
    @Manipulato: Have you tried it out? I guess the perfect scenario is with YP tokens, but in general I'd be scared to be sitting on a sole Jitte.

I mean, against "fair" decks they bring in even more removal postboard (=more chance to draw a dead Jitte) and against something like Elves I'd figure Grim Lavamancer to be better tbh.
    Currently not but I play my locals this Saturday and am thinking about 1-2 in the SB. 14 creatures MD especially with the 4 YP + 2 strix from the side is enough to support Jitte. Even a connected YP token or shaman is enough to take over the game. If you can connect the Jitte early it´s straigt better than lavamancer because it kills 2 creatures a turn and not just one.

But I agree it´s mostly because of YP, without him I think I would not consider jitte because of the fear of running out of creatures to support.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Another Thought Scour deck performs well.

This is extremely close to the Dylan Donegan list I posted a week ago - Ben trimmed to fit 2x Snapcaster Mage. Again, no Young Pyromancer, Cabal Therapy, or Stifle.

The initial responses to the Donegan list mention that Thought Scour is not preferred over Stifle/Probe and that the additional Spell Pierces are less effective without Stifles. Perhaps those losses are acceptable for the consistency and velocity afforded by Thought Scour.

Even if the above inefficiencies are true - is prioritizing a fast Angler the superior direction?

Thoughts?

Would love Ben's opinions on how this deck ran, in which metas it's most superior, and what changes he would make to this list in the future!

Ben Friedman - 1st Place
    SCG Open - Baltimore
    7/31/16

Creatures (14)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Gurmag Angler
    2 Snapcaster Mage

Spells (28)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    1 Dismember
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Thought Scour
    4 Ponder

Lands (18)
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard

2 Pithing Needle
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Forked Bolt
    2 Painful Truths
    2 Thoughtseize

Jul 2015
    Northern Virginia

Greetings all,

I'm new to Grixis Delver and am really excited to have just completed it in paper this past weekend at SCG Baltimore. A little about myself (since I am sure you are all on the edge of your seat), I'm in the Northern VA/DC/Metro area and I've only been playing for two years. In those two years I have lucked into family members sending me their kid's old boxes of cards and they contained gold (Duals, Candelabra, etc). This is how I got into Legacy the first time. After only playing a year I won an IQ (not a big accomplishment now, but at the time was huge), and the following week placed 13th at SCG Baltimore last year. So I queued for the Invi. Used the family treasures to get into Omnitell. Didn't like the deck and it was banned 2 months later. Used Omnitell to get into Twin in Modern. This I loved. I LOVED that deck. Of course, as we know, month later banned. So now I am back in Legacy and LOVE Grixis Delver. I hope I don't bring the ban hammer to it.

Anyways, I read all 41 pages of this thread and learned a lot, will definitely have to re-read a lot of it and jam a ton of games. I am fortunate enough to play with very, very talented people well beyond my skill level, but that's how I get better so I welcome it. Look forward to being a part of this sweet deck in it's many variations. I haven't settled on which I prefer yet because I haven't played enough with it, but I think this is the deck for me.

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Hello everyone,
    RUG player here, novice on Grixis with the Noah's mainlist.

My 15 sideboard cards, up until now, are:

2 Winter Orb
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Painful Truths
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Darkblast

But, after 3 weeks with this 75, I feel that 1 x Engineered Explosives is a must in this meta.
    EE is great VS Chalice, Elves, Death and Taxes and some other stuff.

Now i search for the right slot to substitute for EE and I suppose the right card is 1x Painful Truths or 1x Winter Orb because i sidein vs Miracle and other control decks: 2/1x Winter Orb and 2/1x Painful Truths - Painful is mana intensive (CC3) and Winter Orb interact with lands.

In your opinion what's the right slot to modify?
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    Grixis Delver won it all & 4c Delver in 2nd place, nice.
    I really like the Jitte trend currently, it's just bonkers in all fair MU'S (Besides Miracles).

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...mps-2016-07-25

Does anybody know who those 2 players are?
    SILVIAWATARU (2ND PLACE)
    LEGACY FESTIVAL CHAMP #9923951 ON 07/24/2016

DECKLIST STATS SAMPLE HAND
    SORT BY:
    Creature (13)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Gurmag Angler
    3 Tarmogoyf
    Sorcery (6)
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Painful Truths
    4 Ponder
    Instant (21)
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    Enchantment (1)
    1 Sylvan Library
    Land (19)
    1 Badlands
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    1 Ancient Grudge 1 Baleful Strix 1 Dismember 1 Flusterstorm 1 Go for the Throat 1 Golgari Charm 1 Maelstrom Pulse 2 Pithing Needle 1 Pyroblast 1 Red Elemental Blast 2 Thoughtseize 1 Umezawa's Jitte 1 Vendilion Clique

How can this list beat a combo deck like ANT?

0 response even in side, oh wait, a flusterstorm, is combo so poor played around?

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    SILVIAWATARU (2ND PLACE)

SORT BY:
    Creature (13)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Gurmag Angler
    3 Tarmogoyf
    Sorcery (6)
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Painful Truths
    4 Ponder
    Instant (21)
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    Enchantment (1)
    1 Sylvan Library
    Land (19)
    1 Badlands
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    1 Ancient Grudge 1 Baleful Strix 1 Dismember 1 Flusterstorm 1 Go for the Throat 1 Golgari Charm 1 Maelstrom Pulse 2 Pithing Needle 1 Pyroblast 1 Red Elemental Blast 2 Thoughtseize 1 Umezawa's Jitte 1 Vendilion Clique

0 response even in side, oh wait, a flusterstorm, is combo so poor played around?
    I dont know what you want?
    The list has MD 4 FoW 4 Daze 2 Pierce & after boarding 2 TS 2 Pyroblast 1 Flusterstorm! There are nearly no fair decks around who play more disruption...
    It's absolutley fine...
    This deck deck also belongs in the 4c bUrg thread not Grixis!
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

The 2 Thoughtseize and the Vendilion Clique definitely come in against combo. Personally I'm not a big fan of the second REB-effect against storm, it's just a dead card sometimes and can't be pitched to FoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    SILVIAWATARU (2ND PLACE)

SORT BY:
    Creature (13)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Gurmag Angler
    3 Tarmogoyf
    Sorcery (6)
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Painful Truths
    4 Ponder
    Instant (21)
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    Enchantment (1)
    1 Sylvan Library
    Land (19)
    1 Badlands
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)

The deck is reasonably equiped for Storm in the M.D., although this build is very midrange-y.

I would board like this..
    Out:
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Painful Truths
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 Badlands / Lightning Bolt

In:
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Pyroblast
    1 REB
    2 Thoughtseize

Seeing that you end up with 4 bolts post SB, you actually could use 1/2 more cards in the SB for the matchup. :-)

I thought about it and you propably want to board out
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Painful Truths
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Sylvan Library

And board in 1 Flusterstorm 1 Golgari Charm (goblins, xantid, carpet), 1 Pyroblast, 1 Red Elemental Blast, 2 Thoughtseize and 1 Vendilion Clique.

Still not really the deck I would want to fight with against combo though, this deck looks a bit too clumsy for my taste.

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Maybe this is sideboard plan:

1 Tropical Island / 1 Gurmag Angler / 1 Tarmo
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Painful Truths
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Sylvan Library

1 Flusterstorm
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Vendilion Clique

Anyway this deck is not a Grixis but a 4c Delver (burg).

Small tournament last night with the standard list (1 Clique, 3 YP, 2 Angler, 1 Dismember, 1 Forked Bolt, 2 Therapy) and this sideboard:

2 Baleful Strix
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Relic of Progenitus

New store so I'm still trying to get a sense of the meta, but they allow proxies so I expect to see a lot more variety than I might otherwise.

Results:

0-2 against Infect
    Game 1, he fetched a Tropical into Hierarch turn 1, and my hand had Deathrites & Pyromancers, so I was already on the back foot. I chose to Waste his Trop instead of his T2 Inkmoth, which stranded lethal Invigorates in his hand and bought me a lot more time to draw removal, but I didn't draw into anything in time. Game 2, I was facing down two Blighted Agents, and found my Explosives with a Ponder. I had a choice between drawing and tapping out for the Explosives, or shuffling it away and digging for more spot removal. I chose to draw the Explosives (and he killed me the next turn) but in retrospect I think that was the right play, as I'd have needed two spot removals to avoid lethal anyways.
    In: Engineered Explosives, 2 Pyroblasts, Pithing Needle, Lavamancer, 2 Baleful Strix (on the play)
    Out: 2 Gurmag Angler, 2 Gitaxian Probe, 1 Young Pyromancer, 2 Cabal Therapy (on the play)

2-0 against Enchantress
    Game 1 he had a really slow do-nothing hand, Game 2 he oddly chose to not maintain his Solitary Confinement, presumably hoping to draw into more gas, and he didn't.
    In: Engineered Explosives, Pithing Needle, 2 Cabal Therapy, Painful Truths
    Out: 1 Gurmag Angler, 1 Dismember, 2 Lightning Bolt, 1 Forked Bolt

2-1 against the mirror
    Relic was my MVP all-star in this match; not only did it keep him off his Anglers, it also shut down his Deathrite activations on cards in my graveyard. Game 1 he burned me to death after Wasting my lands away, Game 2 I kept him off mana for like 6 turns while Delvering him to death. Game 3 went to extra turns and I was able to shut off his Deathrites with a Relic and flood him with like 18 Pyromancer tokens.
    In: 2 Baleful Strix, 1 Grim Lavamancer, 2 Pyroblast, 2 Relic of Progenitus, can't remember what the last addition was
    Out (on the play): 2 Cabal Therapy, 4 Force of Will, 2 Daze
    Out (on the draw): 2 Cabal Therapy, 4 Daze, 2 Force of Will

Thoughts:

- Relic is awesome
    - I'd love to find room for more generic spot removal, maybe 1-2 Abrupt Decays and 1 Terminate/Dreadbore/Go for the Throat/Fire Covenant in the board. But I'm not sure what I'd cut for them. Maybe the Painful Truths, 1 Cabal Therapy and 1 Surgical Extraction?

Thread Information