Page 68 of 83 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1659

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Tempo

Re: [DTB] Grixis Tempo

Won a small (25 people) tournament today with my take on Grixis Delver, winning everything 2-0 :

Land (19)

4x Flooded Strand
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Tropical Island
    3x Underground Sea
    3x Volcanic Island
    4x Wasteland

Sorcery (9)

3x Collective Brutality
    4x Ponder
    2x Thoughtseize

Instant (17)

4x Brainstorm
    4x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    4x Lightning Bolt
    1x Thought Scour

Creature (15)

4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Delver of Secrets Flip
    2x Gurmag Angler
    2x Snapcaster Mage
    3x True-Name Nemesis

Sideboard (15)

1x Ancient Grudge
    1x Collective Brutality
    2x Diabolic Edict
    1x Fatal Push
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Invasive Surgery
    1x Kolaghan's Command
    1x Marsh Casualties
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Thoughtseize
    1x Vendilion Clique

The idea behind this was to convert a 4c Delver list from Ben Friedman (see this article), replacing the Abrupt Decay's with Collective Brutality to give the deck more flexibility and answers. It means the deck is a bit slower and has less explosive draws but hopefully makes up for that with more resilience and 3 maindeck TNN's.

My games where against Elves, U/W Stoneblade, Eldrazi, Eldrazi and Shardless BUG. Collective Brutality was amazing against Elves, killing a key creature and grabbing a spell every time. It was ok against Stoneblade and Shardless, acted as removal for Stoneforge/Deathrite but I boarded some/all of them out in game 2. Against Eldrazi they where bad. I managed to kill a Mimic and an Endless One with them but I think that's best case scenario.

After the tournament I'm still not sure about the build even though I did great. If Eldrazi is popular then Collective Brutality might not be good enough. Even though I won twice I feel as though that matchup is pretty poor. Another card I'm really unsure about is Snapcaster Mage. In a slightly slower build it seems good. But I just never draw them. The 3 tournaments I played with Snapcasters I rarely drew one. True-Name Nemesis and Delver where the decks mvp's. I really like 3 TNN maindeck and I can't see myself running an even slower build without Delvers in them.
    As for the sideboard; Diabolic Edict was good. I think I would rather have Strix vs Eldrazi, but Edict was great against TNN. The mvp was Kolaghan's Command, winning me games 2 against Stoneforge and Eldrazi. I'd really love to fit in a Dread of Night and I'm thinking of cutting Marsh Casualties or the 4th Collective Brutality. BB is pretty difficult to cast, especially since a lot of TNN decks run Wasteland.

Has anyone else experimented with a Grixis Delver deck with Collective Brutality and/or Snapcaster Mage? Did you like it? I'm not sure if I should continue this experiment or just go back to a more standard Young Pyromancer list.

Hey guys,

I played the list below to a 2nd place finish. I was 1st after swiss and lost to the mirror in the finals:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Young Pyromancer
    1 Gurmag Angler
    2 True Name Nemesis
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dismember
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Wasteland
    4 misty rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island

3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Forked bolt
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 True Name Nemesis
    1 grim lavamancer
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Ancient Grudge
    3 diabolic edict
    1 Vendilion Clique

I opted to play 3 TNNs in the 75 for the decks with Swords to Plowshares and grindy match ups. Played with 3 edicts since there's usually a lot of Reanimator, Eldrazi, and Turbo Depths in my meta. This list was designed to grind but should still be able win fast.

RD 1 Miracles 2-0
    TNN, YP and cabal therapy is too strong vs them.

RD 2 Infect 2-1
    Won game 1 and 3 thanks to a YP and a lot of removal. I was not really sure what to take out here since I had too much removal in my sb.

RD 3 Miracles 2-0
    TNN and Delver was too much when he had no white source.

RD 4 Grixis Delver ID
    Eventually lost to this guy in the finals

RD 5 Elves ID

Quarters RD1 Miracles opponent 2-1
    He lost to a couple of cabal therapies in game 1. Game 2 he decieded to board in leyline of sanctity against me. My hand was a couple of probes and a lot of burn spells. I lost to mentor and Jace shortly. On game 3 I decided swap some surgicals for a couple of burn spells aiming to hit Terminus or cantrips. Won this very tight game thanks to YP and TNN. Monastery mentor is scary!

Semis Dredge 2-0
    I forced his turn 1 faithless looting and went home with double delver and YP. Almost same thing happened game 2.

Finals Grixis Delver (with Stifle) 0-2
    My YP got killed and Angler made short work of me on game 1. My opponent drew 4 wastelands in the first 6 turns on game 2. Can't beat that.

post mortem:
    a) 3 edicts are a lot
    b) sideboarding in this deck is difficult
    c) TNN is great vs grindy match ups but too slow against the mirror
    d) I think I needed the 2nd Angler vs mirror
    e) I can see myself adding the 2nd Angler for the 3rd YP in the MD. I might swap the 3rd edict for dnt/mentor hate or YP. Clique was kinda meh. Only boarded it against miracles but it just ate a swords.
    f) Grixis delver is strong.

I would appreciate some tips on sideboarding, specifically the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios View Post
    Hey guys,

I would appreciate some tips on sideboarding, specifically the mirror.
    Jeff Hoogland just wrote an article on StarCityGames about this deck as well as sideboarding. it's a two part article so make sure you read both parts. it will likely answer a lot of questions you might still have.

Quote Originally Posted by drocker23 View Post
    Jeff Hoogland just wrote an article on StarCityGames about this deck as well as sideboarding. it's a two part article so make sure you read both parts. it will likely answer a lot of questions you might still have.
    I already saw the link in reddit and asked him some questions. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I won a small tournament this past Sunday, but decided to do a Tourny Report about it anyways over on Reddit. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...ent_ft_stifle/

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Greetings All!

I have been a long time Delver player. In the past I have played RUG and BUG delver variants for much of my Legacy career. However, with the banning of Sensei's Divining Top and subsequent decrease in value of Counterbalance, I have found it much less important to include Abrupt Decay in my 75 Delver cards. Due to this and the increase of the overall speed of the format, I have now been playing Grixis Delver for a couple weeks at my LGS.

I have been playing Jeff Hoogland's most recent list which was mentioned above and can be found in these links:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...is-Delver.html

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...r--Part-2.html

After three weeks of play, I can fully attest that the deck is very solid. I have finished 4-1, 3-1 and 3-1 in the past three week for a combined 10-3 record. Two of these match losses were likely due to inexperience with the deck. A quick breakdown of my matches from the past three weeks are as follows:

Week 1
    Round 1 - BUG Food Chain [2-0]
    Round 2 - Death and Taxes [0-2]
    Round 3 - UWR Delver [2-0]
    Round 4 - ANT [2-1]
    Round 5 - Merfolk [2-0]

Week 2
    Round 1 - Aggro Loam [2-1]
    Round 2 - Aggro Loam [0-2]
    Round 3 - Lands [2-0]
    Round 4 - UR Delver [2-0]

Week 3
    Round 1 - Burn [2-1]. I had enough counters and clogged up the board in games 2 and 3.
    Round 2 - Deathblade [2-0]. Maindeck Kolaghan's Command was a beating in game one. Game 2 he mulliganed and I wasted his one land. Opponent bemoans not owning a third Volcanic Island so that he could play Grixis Delver, which he believes is a better deck.
    Round 3 - Burn [1-2]. Had the right cards in game 2. My removal and counters didn't line up right in games 1 and 3. These were both very close though.
    Round 4 - Non Red Nic Fit [2-0]. Opponent mulligans in game 1 and I got to double Cabal Therapy him. Game 2 he stabilizes at 2 life, with an Elspeth, Sun's Champion to stonewall my army of elemental tokens. I chain an string of cantrips together to find a Lightning Bolt to finish him.

Overall the deck has felt very good. I think the currently maindeck configuration is very solid. I had been running a Fire // Ice in the Kolaghan's Command slot a few week back. The Command has felt far superior every time that I have drawn it. I think Hoogland's listed sideboard is a very solid starting point. It probably is or nearly is optimal for a large event; however, for a local metagame, the board might need some work. I may have to dedicate a slot or two towards the Burn match up. I am exactly 50% in games, but even the games that you win seem to be tight. Any thoughts on sideboard inclusions for that match up would be appreciated. Anyway, thanks for reading! I would be happy to hear any feedback.

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    Greetings All!

I have been a long time Delver player. In the past I have played RUG and BUG delver variants for much of my Legacy career. However, with the banning of Sensei's Divining Top and subsequent decrease in value of Counterbalance, I have found it much less important to include Abrupt Decay in my 75 Delver cards. Due to this and the increase of the overall speed of the format, I have now been playing Grixis Delver for a couple weeks at my LGS.

I have been playing Jeff Hoogland's most recent list which was mentioned above and can be found in these links:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...is-Delver.html

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...r--Part-2.html

After three weeks of play, I can fully attest that the deck is very solid. I have finished 4-1, 3-1 and 3-1 in the past three week for a combined 10-3 record. Two of these match losses were likely due to inexperience with the deck. A quick breakdown of my matches from the past three weeks are as follows:

Week 1
    Round 1 - BUG Food Chain [2-0]
    Round 2 - Death and Taxes [0-2]
    Round 3 - UWR Delver [2-0]
    Round 4 - ANT [2-1]
    Round 5 - Merfolk [2-0]

Week 2
    Round 1 - Aggro Loam [2-1]
    Round 2 - Aggro Loam [0-2]
    Round 3 - Lands [2-0]
    Round 4 - UR Delver [2-0]

Week 3
    Round 1 - Burn [2-1]. I had enough counters and clogged up the board in games 2 and 3.
    Round 2 - Deathblade [2-0]. Maindeck Kolaghan's Command was a beating in game one. Game 2 he mulliganed and I wasted his one land. Opponent bemoans not owning a third Volcanic Island so that he could play Grixis Delver, which he believes is a better deck.
    Round 3 - Burn [1-2]. Had the right cards in game 2. My removal and counters didn't line up right in games 1 and 3. These were both very close though.
    Round 4 - Non Red Nic Fit [2-0]. Opponent mulligans in game 1 and I got to double Cabal Therapy him. Game 2 he stabilizes at 2 life, with an Elspeth, Sun's Champion to stonewall my army of elemental tokens. I chain an string of cantrips together to find a Lightning Bolt to finish him.

Overall the deck has felt very good. I think the currently maindeck configuration is very solid. I had been running a Fire // Ice in the Kolaghan's Command slot a few week back. The Command has felt far superior every time that I have drawn it. I think Hoogland's listed sideboard is a very solid starting point. It probably is or nearly is optimal for a large event; however, for a local metagame, the board might need some work. I may have to dedicate a slot or two towards the Burn match up. I am exactly 50% in games, but even the games that you win seem to be tight. Any thoughts on sideboard inclusions for that match up would be appreciated. Anyway, thanks for reading! I would be happy to hear any feedback.
    That seems like some pretty extensive testing. I am planning on running a similar list to Hoogland's tomorrow at a small local tournament but with a few changes. I want to know, how good was the snapcaster in the main? It seems that even with the higher than average land count I have a hard time justifying the slot. If you didn't own any snapcasters what would you run instead?
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

I think a 1-of Hydroblast in the sideboard is a very nice thing to have. Personally I don't like all 4 wastelands against burn since it's basically a spell that prevents 2 PoP damage, against any other card its dead.
    Now hydroblast not only helps against burn, but also against Blood-Moon decks which we can struggle against, Sneak&Show and Grixis, all relatively popular decks. Even against lands it's a worthy slot imo since it hits gamble, molten vortex and p-fire.
    I wouldn't recommend it against the new UWR Miracles deck though, most of them play 5-6 red cards at most and I found it stranding in my hand far too often.

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Misersoneof View Post
    That seems like some pretty extensive testing. I am planning on running a similar list to Hoogland's tomorrow at a small local tournament but with a few changes. I want to know, how good was the snapcaster in the main? It seems that even with the higher than average land count I have a hard time justifying the slot. If you didn't own any snapcasters what would you run instead?
    I would say a decent amount of testing. As evident from the previous post, there is no testing versus some of the new decks to beat, such as, the Grixis Tempo mirror, Elves, Czech Pile and UW Miracles. I would like to have a bit more testing against these decks in particular. As a 1-of, the SCM, TNN, Gurmag and Command are less frequently drawn. However each of these cards tends to be rather high impact when resolved. I have drawn the SCM a number of times, I find that I most frequently snapcast Lightning Bolt to help break board parity. I have done this a handful of times. In my first game against Deathblade, I natural drew both the SCM and the Command. My opponent scooped before it would have been relevant; however, if he had drawn hotter and slogged on, I would have been able to flashback the command for a second piece of equipment. It likely would have sealed the game. If you don't have access to SCM, depending on your metagame and access, I would either go to first two TNN or second two Gurmag. I think TNN and Gurmag both make the fair match ups a little better. This could also become a flex slot for an expected meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa91 View Post
    I think a 1-of Hydroblast in the sideboard is a very nice thing to have. Personally I don't like all 4 wastelands against burn since it's basically a spell that prevents 2 PoP damage, against any other card its dead.
    Now hydroblast not only helps against burn, but also against Blood-Moon decks which we can struggle against, Sneak&Show and Grixis, all relatively popular decks. Even against lands it's a worthy slot imo since it hits gamble, molten vortex and p-fire.
    I wouldn't recommend it against the new UWR Miracles deck though, most of them play 5-6 red cards at most and I found it stranding in my hand far too often.
    Hydroblast would be a fine option against Burn and the other decks that you have listed. I was also thinking about a Umezawa's Jitte for both Burn and for other fair match ups. If it connects, it ends up giving loads of flexibility and takes over the game on both the axes of damage races and board presence.

I don't like Jitte for 2 reasons:
    The first one is: It's 4 mana. Especially against those fast tempo-decks like Grixis and Burn that can be really expensive when your opponent just bolts the creature. The second reason is that in those tempo matches I also feel like the opponent kills pretty much any creature on sight, so the chance of having jitte and no creature, thus making Jitte a dead card, are pretty high

Against decks like Elves on the other side they have so much bounce that negates Jitte and D&T has revoker, though Jitte is probably at its best here.

Sure you can say "but what if I have an Angler/TNN vs. burn or a delver/TNN vs Elves? What if I already have a token engine going with YP?
    Well, in that case you're in a fine shape most of the time anyways, right? I almost feel like Jitte is a bit of a "win-more" card in delver where you only have a limited amount of (must-kill) creatures compared to something like D&T or stoneblade with its value etb-creatures: It helps closing out games, but only when you already have a decent board.
    An additional (mass) removal spell on the other hand is just always good for its efficiency and non-requirement of any additional cards like creatures to equip. A card that is removal AND counterspell is just about everything you want though of course hydroblast can be awkward against Grixis at times. Still, Pyromancer, Bolt and Pyroblast are enough high-impact targets to make it worth having it as a one-of imo.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

I agree with Agrippa. Jitte sounds like it would be nutso -especially in Peezy lists- but every time I've played Jitte in Delver it's just never managed to get there. Sure, it saved my ass against Burn once when I gained 8 life over 2 turns but that was the only time it ever managed to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Have you guys tried Lili, the last hope? I'm planning to use her against creature decks and grindy decks.

I haven't tested Liliana herself but any 3-mana noncreature spell that's not an instant is very hard to resolve against D&T and vs. Delver decks in my experience, especially if it's double black. When you're going to play BB you should rather get Marsh Casualties as it answers TNN, too. I wouldn't recommend that with the standard 2 Usea version though...

Dec 2010

Greetings All!

I have played in two more weekly legacy events since my last post. Piloting the same list [Hoogland's] to a 3-2 and 3-0-1 results.

Last Week
    Round 1: Burn [2-0]. This deck was a bit more combo oriented, favoring Blazing Shoal and Thunderous Wrath for the more conventional inclusions.
    Round 2: DnT [2-0]. The maindeck seems fine here. Postboard there is so much removal that it seems hard for them to really do much creature-wise.
    Round 3: Lands [1-2]. This MU still feels pretty bad. I understand that this is an unfavorable MU. How are you all beating it?
    Round 4: TES [2-0]. Opponent goes off in G1, but doesn't know that Burning Wish exiles itself. He fizzles. G2 I blind hit double Dark Ritual on a Therapy.
    Round 5: Czech Pile [0-2]. I think I kept two loose hand here. He stabilized at low life both games and then was able to come back.

Last Night
    Round 1: Dredge [2-0]. I have a fast hand in G1 and just edge him out in the race. G2 I have DRS, Daze and FoW + blue card. He doesn't get anything into his yard until DRS is active.
    Round 2: BUG Midrange/Control [2-0]. I think both of my hands were pretty strong. In G1 I am able to protect a Pyromancer to clog up the board while TNN gets in. G2 I have T1 DRS, into T2 Pyro + Therapy. I blind name TNN, hit; see 2 Brainstorms, flashback to snag both of them as opponent was tapped out. He doesn't really get off the ground.
    Round 3: Aluren Combo [1-1-1]. This match up seems hard. Their deck has so much value... I am able to sneak one game but we go to time and draw. Also worth noting, the game that I lost, I ended the game with 3 lands in hand and 3-4 in play. So maybe this result is a bit on the bad side of variance.
    Round 4: Food Chain Combo [2-0]. K. Command was insane here. I cast and flashed it back in G1 with an SCM. In G2 I drew both and shattered two creatures and made him discard two cards. He was hellbent and I still had all these.

Overall still very happy with the deck. I am still tinkering with how I might tune the sideboard. The lands match up could use some help... however, I am not sure how much better we can do there. The more midrangey match ups feel pretty even but very draw dependent. We are more nimble, but they have bigger/better late game. Thanks for the feedback on Hydroblast and Umezawa's Jitte, from the last post. Any thoughts on improving the lands MU would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    The lands match up could use some help... however, I am not sure how much better we can do there...Any thoughts on improving the lands MU would be appreciated.
    I think that -Null Rod +Pithing Needle is the simplest and most defensible sideboard change that will give you equity in the Lands matchup without hurting too many other matchups. It is also very flexible, which is important because they have so many effective plans against you: mana denial, control, or Marit Lage. Wasteland, Maze of Ith, and Thespian's Stage are all defensible names depending on your perceived position. Needle is also nice to have against Sneak and Show.

The loss of Null Rod is probably most noticeable in the Death and Taxes matchup where Null Rod stops equipment and Aether Vials at the same time, but the utility of Needle can be nice to have here too. There's also Dread of Night to fix this matchup if it comes to that.

I have a buddy playing lands and think I have a pretty good understanding of the matchup (regular RG vs. stifle grixis).

Having tested Null Rod in this matchup I came to the conclusion that it's truly abysmal:
    It just comes down to the fact that you try to "counter" something for 0 mana with a 2 mana spell that doesn't even provide card advantage. The lands player will get at least 1 activation out of his Mox before you shut it down, especially on his very important first turn.
    On the other hand if you drop the Null Rod without the opponent having a Mox they'll just keep them in hand and improve their gambles.
    It's not even like cutting lands of its colors is always the way to go. On the contrary, I'd say I go for this strategy only about 10-20% of the time.

Ancient Grudge on the other hand you're pretty much forced to bring in. Pretty much every lands player has at least 1 Chalice of the Void in his sidebaord which pretty much ruins our entire game plan.
    The nice thing here is that it can shut down Mox, too. I only do so when I have a FoW for a potential Chalice though and when I'm confident that it will actually constrict him off mana, otherwise the potential of getting Bojuka Bog'ed is not worth it imo.

Pithing Needle on the other hand is (together with Surgical Extraction) the best way to fight lands. Not only does it shut off the combo itself, it also helps against Maze of Ith (often times their only way to get rid of Angler) and Molten Vortex (slow and painful death, "chalice" for your small creatures).
    If the opponent is on the Ghost Quarter/Rishadan Port plan you can name those and buy you tons of time.

The greatest thing actually is that the lands players rarely bring in Krosan Grips against us. Rightfully so, it can be pretty abysmal if we don't draw our 1 or 2 needles.

Diabolic Edict is good, but a bit overrated imo since it's really only helping against surprise wins from the opponent if you have the game on lockdown. Otherwise they'll just loam back their combo the following turn. It has the nice upside of also helping against Tireless Tracker which can be pretty good agianst us in the long game since they offer card advantage outside of the graveyard.

The minimum package if you want to be prepared for lands imo is 2 Surgicals, 1 Needle, 1 Diabolic Edict and 1 Ancient Grudge.
    Personally I like packing 2 Grudges these days, just too many Chalices for my taste (hence also no reason to run Null Rod over it as your piece of artifact hate).
    Also Hydroblast is a nice option since it hits Gamble, Molten Vortex and P-Fire.
    Flusterstorm is nice, if you're lucky you can hit a timely crop rotation and aren't forced to force it. At worst it always pitches to FoW.
    If you're playing the YP version I only recommend therapy if you don't have anything else to bring in, I still like it better than Daze. Your default name past turn 1 should be Crop Rotation, sometimes Loam if you have an active DRS.
    If you're not playing with YP I find Thoughtseize to be a much better discard option. Especially postboard lands will have lots of nonland cards that can really screw us and they will often times wait until they can drop them past a potential Daze or Spell Pierce.

I like having around 8-10 cards to bring in so I can bring out Dazes and Removal Spells (bolts are the last ones to cut).

GAMEPLAN IN GENERAL (talking about the stifle version here, no clue how you plan to beat lands without this card):

Here are some points that are all desirable to achieve, the more you have the more likely it is for you to win the game:

- Have an emergency FoW:
    It's always good to have a FoW in the pocket, even more important imo is to be very conservative about it when the game goes long. Your opponent will try to bait out a potential FoW, so make sure to only use it when it will result in you losing the game or falling behind massively.
    This can be a Gamble or Exploration early that threatens to wasteland-lock you out of the game or a P-Fire on your active DRS so you no longer control the gy.

- Get an idea what their hand looks like:
    Since lands doesn't play brainstorm its opener is very important. Getting to see their hand with Therapy or Thoughtseize on t1 lets you evaluate how quickly they're planning to go off. Loam also makes it that you often times know almost the entire hand even when your look was several turns ago.

- Hold up Wasteland + stifle:
    A wasteland can stop the combo, but is very vulnerable to a forced activation by an opposing wasteland or a port. Stifle prevents opposing wastelands by stifling their activation and opposing ghost-quarters by letting them tap down your wasteland, then stifling the thespian's stage. You can then destroy one of the combo pieces the next turn (~80% stage).
    Bonus points if you have a way to get rid of the opposing wasteland/quarter in the gy.

- Get your DRS online with counterspell backup:
    An active DRS can leave Loams stuck in the land player's hand and make gambles actual gambles. A Force does real work here because it can hit any recurring card so the shaman can eat itas well as any threat to the shaman himself. Spell snare does a good job here as well, countering Loam and P-Fire (+Chalice).

- Pithing Needle:
    Don't try to get cheeky and get this online as soon as possible. This prevents your opponent from renaming his stage, forcing you to name whatever his stage is called before topdecking another one. Naming Maze of Ith is very aggressive and should be an exception. It can be viable though when your other creatures are locked out by P-Fire or when you can expect to win quickly enough.

- Surgical in hand:
    Be careful with this one, the lands player can play around you targeting his P-Fire (Crop-Rotation for Grove) or Loam (cycling). Having information about his hand or a counterspell (stifle, timely flusterstorm) prevents this from happening.
    A very safe target is Dark Depths when there's none on the battlefield. Doing so during their draw step can get an additional one, but could also draw them into a crop rotation so be careful when you don't have a counter for that card.

- Have a clock:
    People will disagree but this is imo the least important goal you should have. DRS is an exception because he also functions as disruption.
    All the other creatures are pathetic compared to a 20/20 and it shouldn't be a priority to bring the online if you can instead disrupt your opponent, e.g. by holding up stifle or a softcounter.
    That said if you have nothing else left slam and pray, especially TNN can really make them sweat since it's an actual clock that is impossible to deal with outside of drop of honey.

- Diabolic Edict:
    Not much to say here except the fact that this card can function as a safety net, allowing you to be much more aggressive and tapping out while not having to fear a 20/20.

I see myself very much as the control deck in this matchup, trying to get past the first few turns where a surprise Marit Lage or a wasteland-lock can end the game quickly. Achieving the goals above helps slowly tightening the noose on the lands deck while slowly chipping away at the opponent's life total.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

This is really great advice. One of my friends has been playing Lands for a long time so I've been subject to hours and hours of testing vs it pre-GPs etc, all your points ring true. I especially like pointing out the importance of knowing their hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Finally got a feature match with me playing Team Australia, check it out.

Congrats on the feature match, Steven!
    Given that you put it up here I'll analyze it a bit, I know you can take it:

G1:

- That FoW on the Swords in g1 interests me, would you do the same play in hindsight? Your Stalker seems to get blocked by the spirits for days regardless and you already had a clock in TNN, I definitely would've held onto FoW there. I mean, the sword gains you life so the threat of getting outraced is not really present.

- Can you tell us how you sideboarded? I know that you have Snapcasters in the board which seem good, personally I wouldn't have changed anything in my list except for cutting 2 Fatal Pushes for 2 Marsh Casualties (TNN, Strix, Lingering Souls).
    I like FoW quite a lot against decks that aim to slam fatties like Nic Fit does, but there's another reason why I'd keep in all of them: You're running such a variety of blue countermagic that sometimes you get stuck with Daze, Spell Pierce, Snare or Stifle in hand. Having a FoW in hand can act as a safety net to make sure that you actually ARE able to counter a haymaker if everything else fails.
    I disagree with the commentators on the fact that you want to board out forces in long, grindy matchups because while this is true in general there are exceptions, e.g. the new Miracles list and in this case Nic Fit.
    It's not really card-disadvantage when they need at least 3-4 lands to operate while you're cool with 2-3.

G2:

- There have been multiple discussions on this thread about what threat to play on t1 and they pretty much all conclude that you want drs on t1 if possible. Any particular reason why you lead with Delver in g2? Especially the therapy in the gy would've enticed me to go for t1 drs. If he has explorer in hand it's tough luck, but you can Daze any 2-drop like Strix or GSZ for Explorer.
    Daze otd is another reason why DRS t1 is my preferred line, it doesn't leave you behind tempo-wise and you still have access to 2 mana on t2.

- Bolting Steward of Valeron was unnecessary imo, it wouldn't have brought the Ascension online in time. More importantly leaving him would've led to a 2-for-2 when Gene goes for a wrath, be it deluge or deed. Bolt also puts you in a spot where a deluge just isn't viable after a certain point.

- Result-oriented thoughtseize was great, but I feel like this is not where you want to be in this matchup. In my experience Nic-Fit often times ends up either topdecking or mana-screwed, thoughtseize isn't great in either scenario. I'd much rather go for the land disruption, then deal with everything important they play out once they've stabilized. Might just be a preference of playstyle.

Thx for posting your match, it's good to not be the only one playing a pyromancer-less grixis tempo shell.
    How are the snapcasters playing out? I've asked you on a stream once and you've said you didn't have enough data yet, has anything changed?

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

- That FoW on the Swords in g1 interests me, would you do the same play in hindsight? Your Stalker seems to get blocked by the spirits for days regardless and you already had a clock in TNN, I definitely would've held onto FoW there. I mean, the sword gains you life so the threat of getting outraced is not really present.
    Yes, I would do it 100 times over. Tombstalker gives me huge board position and bullies my opponent's position... or stalks him if you will There are few cards that he has past that 1 maindeck swords that can beat Stalker, but many cards that can beat the lone True-Name + Force.

- Can you tell us how you sideboarded? I know that you have Snapcasters in the board which seem good, personally I wouldn't have changed anything in my list except for cutting 2 Fatal Pushes for 2 Marsh Casualties (TNN, Strix, Lingering Souls).
    I like FoW quite a lot against decks that aim to slam fatties like Nic Fit does, but there's another reason why I'd keep in all of them: You're running such a variety of blue countermagic that sometimes you get stuck with Daze, Spell Pierce, Snare or Stifle in hand. Having a FoW in hand can act as a safety net to make sure that you actually ARE able to counter a haymaker if everything else fails.
    I disagree with the commentators on the fact that you want to board out forces in long, grindy matchups because while this is true in general there are exceptions, e.g. the new Miracles list and in this case Nic Fit.
    It's not really card-disadvantage when they need at least 3-4 lands to operate while you're cool with 2-3.
    I can't recall off memory, but I know I brought in at least 2 Snapcasters, 1 Cage, 1 Thoughtseize and the Marsh Casualties. It was over a month ago this was recorded so forgive me. You'll note from the coverage that I took cards in and out a lot. His deck is essentially a singleton deck so it's hard to board for. It has some weird Haakon/Zur's weirding lock so Cage is good.

- There have been multiple discussions on this thread about what threat to play on t1 and they pretty much all conclude that you want drs on t1 if possible. Any particular reason why you lead with Delver in g2? Especially the therapy in the gy would've enticed me to go for t1 drs. If he has explorer in hand it's tough luck, but you can Daze any 2-drop like Strix or GSZ for Explorer.
    Daze otd is another reason why DRS t1 is my preferred line, it doesn't leave you behind tempo-wise and you still have access to 2 mana on t2.
    I had the blind read that he had Swords in hand so I wanted him to Swords the Delver and not the Shaman. I asked him before I made the decision and he said no in a way that confirmed my read. It's not an exact science, but when your day-job is based around dealing with liars you get good at it. You'll note that following that Daze I drew a 2nd Delver but played the DRS instead. I agree DRS is better on turn 1 but if it's just going to be mimicing Goblin Lackey getting swordsed, I'd rather lose Delver than Shaman.

Result-oriented thoughtseize was great, but I feel like this is not where you want to be in this matchup. In my experience Nic-Fit often times ends up either topdecking or mana-screwed, thoughtseize isn't great in either scenario. I'd much rather go for the land disruption, then deal with everything important they play out once they've stabilized. Might just be a preference of playstyle.
    I only brought in the one, it was dope that it came up that way but I agree that it's not spectacular and I definitely didn't want all three. If you consider ramp decks "yahtzee" decks then Thoughtseize can actually be very good if timed right.

Thx for posting your match, it's good to not be the only one playing a pyromancer-less grixis tempo shell.
    How are the snapcasters playing out? I've asked you on a stream once and you've said you didn't have enough data yet, has anything changed?
    Snapcaster is indeed good, but I don't think this style of deck is good anymore so... yeah. Czech Pile is just too much of a beating sadly.

This was the list I played for ref.
    http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=16445&d=301609&f=LE

Thread Information