Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

Can we just find Emrakul and have him cost 20cc this time? Show & Boom needs to happen.
    Team FireBrothers

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Wotc dont like to fuel SnT and breach(modern) deck. The fattie bosses in BfZ block are possible limited under cost 12, and without annilator ability.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Everyone's already forgotten about Hardened Scales?
    I initially misread that, and thought it caused fewer +1/+1 counters to be placed on creatures for some kind of synergy with undying.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Kazandu Blademaster would be pretty sweet with Hardened Scales
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    The only item on my wishlist is that WotC complete the cycle of dual-colored man-lands.
    I'm in love with this idea. I'll be happy with 5 enemy man-lands and 244 basics in the set.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    What if we're already bored of it?
    What if we didn't even realize they were being chased?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    You guys remember when UG survival was the biggest thing ever? The Vengevine deck that got Survival banned? I loved that thing.

Then I took it to an SCG and in the 3-0 bracket got my ass fucking handed to me by a guy who metagamed everyone with an Allies deck. I shit you not, he beat 2 other UG Survival decks to get to me, and dream crushed me with a 2-0 as well. It's cute getting a 4/3 with haste out on turn 2, but you know what can eat salad elementals like no one's business?

Kazandu Blademaster.

He got 2 of these things to 3/3 or higher and I was just locked out of the game. That card withHada Freeblade, Ondu Cleric, and Aether Vial were enough to easily destroy the scariest, banworthiest deck in recent Legacy history.

Everyone here thinks they aren't scary or good, and maybe they won't be now that Miracles is fucking everywhere, but that deck still gives me nightmares.
    I remember this. Good times.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstorm View Post
    Can we just find Emrakul and have him cost 20cc this time? Show & Boom needs to happen.
    YES. I was blowing people up with Draco and Erratic Explosion in old Extended at my LGS in 9th grade. Best deck ever.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    YES. I was blowing people up with Draco and Erratic Explosion in old Extended at my LGS in 9th grade. Best deck ever.
    I remember this. Good times.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Evolving wilds is confirmed in BFZ. Is it rendered the possiblity of enemy fetches reprint?
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    Evolving wilds is confirmed in BFZ. Is it rendered the possiblity of enemy fetches reprint?
    Evolving Wilds. In every set since 2007.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    It's a strong indicator that Landfall is a thing. You need common enablers for your mechanics, or they don't get to see much Limited play.

Evolving Wilds. In every set since 2007.
    And then that happened. :P

(Seriously, though, I will be VERY surprised if we don't get Landfall again. It was a crazy popular mechanic in both Limited and Constructed play, it adds strategic depth to cards without being overly complicated, and you have stuff like Animist's Awakening as recent synergies.)
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    (Seriously, though, I will be VERY surprised if we don't get Landfall again. It was a crazy popular mechanic in both Limited and Constructed play, it adds strategic depth to cards without being overly complicated, and you have stuff like Animist's Awakening as recent synergies.)
    I would also be VERY upset if we get Landfall again. I hate that "Return to Plane #24" is essentially just a pale redux of the previous set. Even assuming they weren't terrible and actually embodied the glory of the originating set, I've already played Zendikar block. I've already played Ravnica block. I don't need to play a macabre imitation of them. If they want to return to the plane, that's fine, but it should at least be a fresh take that isn't repetitive as hell, or it should not take up the space of an ordinary expansion. I was annoyed when they lazily inserted shocklands into Return to Ravnica as a Band-Aid distraction, and I'll be just as annoyed if they do it here.

Eldrazi are already confirmed and, let's be honest, there's not too many ways you can make a fresh take on a 10+ mana goliath. So, after you add the Eldrazi and the pandering fetchlands and well received Landfall and all the mana acceleration necessary to support those goons, you've basically got the same fucking set with an edit on the same story that doesn't matter anyway because we don't do stories anymore. I don't want the same fucking set. I want something new.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Eldrazi are already confirmed and, let's be honest, there's not too many ways you can make a fresh take on a 10+ mana goliath. So, after you add the Eldrazi and the pandering fetchlands and well received Landfall and all the mana acceleration necessary to support those goons, you've basically got the same fucking set with an edit on the same story that doesn't matter anyway because we don't do stories anymore. I don't want the same fucking set. I want something new.
    Sell your Inquisition of Kozileks now, kids. It doesn't make flavor sense to reprint this card anywhere else in the near future.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Sell your Inquisition of Kozileks now, kids. It doesn't make flavor sense to reprint this card anywhere else in the near future.
    It doesn't make flavor sense but already being a $10 uncommon, if it's not in the next block, I'd expect in in Modern Masters 3 or 2017 or whatever it'll be called
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I'd expect in in Modern Masters 3 or 2017 or whatever it'll be called
    My vote goes to Modern Masters with a Vengeance.

Rated R.

Starring Tarmogoyf as John McClane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    I agree that Landfall will almost undoubtedly return (because players and Wizards liked it*), but I have to quibble with the notion that it was popular in Limited. It really wasn't, as it was one of the biggest reasons ZZZ and ZZW were insanely aggro-dominated. Most Limited decks could only trigger Landfall on their turn, giving a huge advantage to attacking/aggressive players and much less to defensive ones.

*As anyone who has played the game for awhile and red the Mothership knows, WotC loves to pat themselves on the back and self-critique in very...nuanced ways. Mechanics in high-selling sets, regardless of their objective quality, are lionized, and some mechanics are inordinately shat upon (see: Infect getting zero criticism, despite it's extremely parasitic/linear nature, yet interesting mechanics being lambasted for spurious reasons, usually being deemed "too complex for newbies").

Heh. Actually, it might not even make flavor sense in BFZ block. Signs point to Emrakul and Kozilek having left Zendikar, in search of other planes to devour (and to be wove into other block's stories), with only Ulamog, and it's brood, remaining. My guess is that it'll probably see a reprint in the Zendikar vs Eldrazi Duel Deck and then some other supplemental product before maybe seeing print in New Phyrexia vs Eldrazi block (you know this set is going to happen).

I feel you brother. Lukewarm rehashes are kinda shitty (especially RtR block, which was decidedly blase). But unfortunately, Wizards loves them. Saves resources on design, whether it's man-hours or conceptual space, and appeals to nostalgia, be it old players or newbies who want a taste of the good ol' days. It's clear as day at this point that Wizards can just phone things in and we'll all keep buying, regardless of quality. Put in a few non-rotating format staples (hell manlands/fetchlands) and us addicts will be chomping at the bit to rip open some foil plastic.

I'd just be happy if they make a Limited format with decent removal and interactive games (a la Dragons of Tarkir). Origins has been a teensy bit disappointing so far.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    Heh. Actually, it might not even make flavor sense in BFZ block. Signs point to Emrakul and Kozilek having left Zendikar, in search of other planes to devour (and to be wove into other block's stories), with only Ulamog, and it's brood, remaining. My guess is that it'll probably see a reprint in the Zendikar vs Eldrazi Duel Deck and then some other supplemental product before maybe seeing print in New Phyrexia vs Eldrazi block (you know this set is going to happen).
    Fair enough. I don't pay too much attention to the story.

I feel you brother. Lukewarm rehashes are kinda shitty (especially RtR block, which was decidedly blase). But unfortunately, Wizards loves them. Saves resources on design, whether it's man-hours or conceptual space, and appeals to nostalgia, be it old players or newbies who want a taste of the good ol' days. It's clear as day at this point that Wizards can just phone things in and we'll all keep buying, regardless of quality. Put in a few non-rotating format staples (hell manlands/fetchlands) and us addicts will be chomping at the bit to rip open some foil plastic.
    Going up to two blocks a year, we're gonna be seeing a lot more of this.

May 2013
    Germany

First mythic Eldrazi without Annihilator spoiled today for the upcoming Duel Deck:

Oblivion Sower
    Creature - Eldrazi (Mythic Rare)
    When you cast Oblivion Sower, target opponent exiles the top four cards of his or her library, then you may put any number of land cards that player owns from exile onto the battlefield under your control.
    5/8
    The Eldrazi hunger without limits and consume without pause.

Speculate away~
    Current Legacy Decks: Elves, 12Post, Eldrazi Stompy, Burn, Reanimator, Death&Taxes

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

It's interesting to see that it hits any land cards that have been exiled, though really - unless you find a way and a reason to cast this for a discount, the effect is kind of a drop in the bucket at 6 mana. Like, in the top 4 cards if you hit a bunch of land, you gain 2-4 mana sure, but you probably did your opponent a favor getting all that bilge out of the way.

Insert obvious rant about how bigger, scarier things are better to cheat into play as well.

From a Modern/Standard angle, this is ...kind of a Delve hoser? Like again, we're talking about getting more lands after you can play a 6-drop, but it's kind of brutal to punish the opponent for daring to exile their own cards, I guess, in a way.

I was talking about this card with the guys at the office and one of them just has the hope that this is a variation on a theme of exiling X cards and playing [card type] from your opponent's exile. I doubt that it will ever gel with Legacy if this is the templating, because that darn 'cast' word. Darn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    From a Modern/Standard angle, this is ...kind of a Delve hoser? Like again, we're talking about getting more lands after you can play a 6-drop, but it's kind of brutal to punish the opponent for daring to exile their own cards, I guess, in a way.
    Basically. Unless something complementary is printed, the main and obvious problem with this guy is that your goal when you reach six mana shouldn't be to get a random Underground Sea and Scalding Tarn.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's interesting to see that it hits any land cards that have been exiled, though really - unless you find a way and a reason to cast this for a discount, the effect is kind of a drop in the bucket at 6 mana. Like, in the top 4 cards if you hit a bunch of land, you gain 2-4 mana sure, but you probably did your opponent a favor getting all that bilge out of the way.
    It would be classic to flip it over with Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver... Edit: Nevermind, it's a casting trigger. So it's got synergy, but no feedback. It would have to be Villainous Wealth.

Thread Information