Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Whoof. Price spikes incoming, I guess.

I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't do those or the manlands. Prices on manabases in Modern can get pretty ridiculous and the return to Zendikar was the prime time to do the Zendikar fetches. I guess it'll probably wait until next spring's large set.
    Manlands might still be possible. He did say they're "brand new designs" which indicates no allied manlands but it could mean enemy manlands (which would be new cards and therefore new designs) and allied something else.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't do those or the manlands. Prices on manabases cards in Modern can get pretty ridiculous and the return to Zendikar was the prime time to do the Zendikar fetches. I guess it'll probably wait until next spring's large set.
    Something's gotta give with that format. I'm never going to start playing because the prices are too good not to keep selling things.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Yup. Just another day in the office for Legacy/Vintage players, but Modern Players are going to start feeling the squeeze if/when stuff like Tarn creeps back above $75.

Also, I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong about this one. I figured WotC wanted to try to help make Modern a real format, instead of a gimmicky new-age extended. I was wrong.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    Also, I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong about this one. I figured WotC wanted to try to help make Modern a real format, instead of a gimmicky new-age extended. I was wrong.
    What do you mean by that?

Tarn is already above $75 on TCG now. These price spikes, buyouts and speculating are getting completely bonkers.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Tarn is already above $75 on TCG now. These price spikes, buyouts and speculating are getting completely bonkers.
    Unfortunately they will likely stay that way for a while as well. wizards needs to start re-printing the expensive cards in sufficient quantities to affect their price, but seem to be afraid to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    Unfortunately they will likely stay that way for a while as well. wizards needs to start re-printing the expensive cards in sufficient quantities to affect their price, but seem to be afraid to do so.
    They're not afraid. Big reprints sell sets. They're managing reprint equity by metering the high-value stuff out slowly.

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Increased shuffling.
    Just because there are more different fetchlands in the card pool, you don't play much more fetchlands in a deck. They're not even good in Standard in my opinion.

Putting the painlands in Origins keeps the color fixing "even" as the fetchlands are in Khans and will be retained after rotation.
    Painlands and Fetchlands are very different. I see no "even".

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    So you don't think any of the super plentiful +1+1 counter themes through out the whole Khans block would be in any way synergistic with Allies?
    Allies care only about Allies.

They're not afraid. Big reprints sell sets. They're managing reprint equity by metering the high-value stuff out slowly.
    They're managing shit (concerning second market prices, which are starting to become a REAL problem)!

Shit, Battle for Zendikar just died (for me).
    Eldrazi stink anyways!

WotC makes the same mistake as pulling out Liliana of the Veil out of M15. That's just dumb in terms of managing Modern (and Legacy) prices! WotC should show the speculators that MTG is a game for players and not for finance speculators. Every card that goes over 50 EUR should be consequently reprinted to keep its price in check.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

All 10 fetchs standard legal at the same time, is ridiculus.

But ZEN fetches need to be reprinted...how about COMM2015? They are declared as "enemy-color bicolor decks".
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    But ZEN fetches need to be reprinted...how about COMM2015? They are declared as "enemy-color bicolor decks".
    Would be a bit inconsistent to reprint them in Commander product, but would help the prices.

Are we hoping that Wizards 'serum visions is a 15 dollar common that hadn't been reprinted despite numerous opportunities to do so' of the Coast will do something to significantly effect prices of expensive staples?

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    All 10 fetchs standard legal at the same time, is ridiculus.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    Just because there are more different fetchlands in the card pool, you don't play much more fetchlands in a deck.
    There'd still be an increase, plus it makes more decks play them.

They're not even good in Standard in my opinion.
    Fetchlands are great in Standard. I've got no idea what you're talking about here.

Painlands and Fetchlands are very different. I see no "even".
    Each color combination gets the same number of dual lands, and those dual lands are all on about the same power level (we're not talking about, say, the enemy colors getting Guildgates and the allied colors getting shocklands). So yes, pretty darn even.

WotC makes the same mistake as pulling out Liliana of the Veil out of M15. That's just dumb in terms of managing Modern (and Legacy) prices!
    Liliana of the Veil would've completely ruined what was already a not particularly great Standard. Everyone was tired of Monoblack Devotion dominating the format, and Liliana of the Veil would've been to Monoblack Devotion what Batterskull was to Caw-Blade.

Maybe it was "dumb" in terms of managing Modern and Legacy prices, but keeping her in would've been even more dumb in terms of keeping people happy with their most popular format.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

This makes sense from Marketing perspective. Introducing the Zendikar fetches in the block after this one will leave fetch in standard after Khans block rotates out. Plus it makes buying boosters more interesting. My guess will be that fetches makes appearance in the following block. Plus that he spoke of "cool dual lands", which might have interaction with fetch. So that would complement keeping fetch around longer.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Allies care only about Allies.
    Avatar of the Resolute is not Renown but he plays really well in the Renown deck. Last time there were what 12 Allies that got +1/+1 counters when another entered play? There is scope for them to interact well with all the add counters cards. I expect the whole cycle will be casual/limited fodder.

Shit, Battle for Zendikar just died (for me).
    Eldrazi stink anyways!
    They announced full art basics; they do not need anything else to sell the set. It could also be the ultimate troll and they are putting Zen fetches in the second set of Battle which would mean 10 Fetches for 3-4 months in Standard before Khans rotates out.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

I completely understand the "reprint equity" theory of explaining reprints (or lack thereof), but it's hard not to think Wizards is riding the tiger a bit here. Certainly having a stable of expensive reprints, waiting in the wings to "sell" sets is a good thing for Wizards, but player dissatisfaction with price instability could also seriously impact their bottom line. Prices too high across the board lead to players branding Magic a pay-to-win game and possibly leaving in droves; I'm certain player retention is reasonably important to Hasbro, if not as important as acquisition. So there's certainly motivation to keep prices "reasonable" (yeah, that's an extremely vague term, I know).

At this point, Wizards has a huge "savings account" of money cards, such that they could go hogwild on reprints and scarcely be able to reduce all staples' prices. Think of all the expensive lands they can reprint. Just limited to Modern, they have Zendikar fetches, Shadowmoor/Eventide Filters, Future Sight duals, Worldwake manlands, Scars fastlands, and (perhaps eventually) Innistrad checklands. Where are these all going to fit in a short time period? It would likely take 3-4 years for all these to see print between Standard sets and supplemental products. That's time for a lot of price spikes/gouges and unhappy players.

Perhaps they need to be a bit more proactive in reprinting expensive staples when they have the rare opportunity (like not stuffing Modern Masters 2015 with tons of crap and a few chase cards); it's not like every staple can easily fit a Standard expansion or a $20 MSRP Duel Deck without throwing things greatly out of whack within the game or the market. They handcuff themselves so much with regards to reprints that they don't really need to be all too careful in the few occasions open to them.

But...a set will sell like gangbusters even with only one relevant reprint in it - look at the dreck that was Theros, with only Thoughtseize to its name as a long-term Constructed-playable card. The set was boring, linear, and still had good sales figures as far as we can tell from earnings reports. They don't need to dump all these high-value, hype-generating reprints as quickly as possible - dribbling out a cycle here, a single card there is sufficient both to build hype and sales figures for a set and also keep Modern from reaching Legacy levels of buy in price.

Because, let's face it, it's still possible to get into Modern on a budget in a way you can't really get into Legacy on a budget, at least not anymore. Infect is still reasonably cheap if you substitute Khans fetches for Misty Rainforests. Burn can be built cheaply if you don't go full hog on splashing. The most expensive part of weird Tier II metagame decks like Living End are the lands, and it's still possible to build a functional but not optimal manabase in Modern. Mono-blue Merfolk isn't hideous. Sure, none of these are the best deck, but they're still reasonable if you're just going to an FNM or something.

In Legacy, most of the still truly budget decks have been relegated to Tier 2.5 or worse status. The closest jump I can think of from a reasonable Modern deck to a reasonable Legacy deck is Elves, and Cradles are murderously expensive these days.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

I came close to buying a Marsh Flats and an Arid Mesa to finish a set of 5 (4 for Constructed and 1 for Cube), but then I closed Paypal and decided to wait for the inevitable reprints.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I'd be thrilled if we got enemy color manlands. I'd be ecstatic if the theoretical enemy color manlands had basic land types (and had appropriate drawbacks so as not to be totally busted).

Jul 2013
    Texas

But...a set will sell like gangbusters even with only one relevant reprint in it - look at the dreck that was Theros, with only Thoughtseize to its name as a long-term Constructed-playable card. The set was boring, linear, and still had good sales figures as far as we can tell from earnings reports. They don't need to dump all these high-value, hype-generating reprints as quickly as possible - dribbling out a cycle here, a single card there is sufficient both to build hype and sales figures for a set and also keep Modern from reaching Legacy levels of buy in price.
    I think the "best-selling set" trend is tied to Wizards' focus on limited. When they first announced PPTQs, they could be any format. Now they have to be weekends either Sealed or the corresponding Pro Tour's format. You see a lot of Sealed PPTQs in Modern season especially so mooks can live the dream of opening siiiqqq mythics and spiking the tournament without having to buy any scaarryy fetchlands.

Thread Information