Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 932

Thread: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

  1. #101
    Member
    Sibelius's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2014
    Location

    London
    Posts

    156

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Could the cool new lands be the Future sight cycle ? Grove, Canopy etc.

  2. #102
    Member
    ReAnimator's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Location

    Toronto Canada
    Posts

    577

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    Allies care only about Allies.
    RIIIIGGGHHHHHTTTT cause Hardened Scales totally wouldn't work with Allies at all! Nor any of the outlast guys that give everything with a counter an additional ability. Good point, nice chat.

  3. #103
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2011
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    313

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    RIIIIGGGHHHHHTTTT cause Hardened Scales totally wouldn't work with Allies at all! Nor any of the outlast guys that give everything with a counter an additional ability. Good point, nice chat.
    Allies trigger only off Allies, so you really want to max out on Ally creatures, so little space is left for other random synergies from other sets/blocks. And you need all those pesky Ally creatures that just come from one Set/Block.
    And Ally is a stupid creature type anyway. What is an Ally? It's not a race and not a profession. It's a happenstance. Why is it a creature type??

  4. #104
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2011
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    313

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Fetchlands are great in Standard. I've got no idea what you're talking about here.
    1. Fetchlands aren't real duallands. They are not able to permanently make mana of two different colors. Which is a problem for some decks.
    2. There are no fetchable duallands in the Standard card pool and I'm pretty sure there won't be any soon.
    3. There are much less opportunities to shuffle away unwanted stuff in Standard. (Only Courser comes to mind, which will rotate soon.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Liliana of the Veil would've completely ruined what was already a not particularly great Standard. Everyone was tired of Monoblack Devotion dominating the format, and Liliana of the Veil would've been to Monoblack Devotion what Batterskull was to Caw-Blade.
    That's what the banlist is for.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    This makes sense from Marketing perspective.
    Tick off people and make basic deckbuilding cards inaccessible. Great marketing!

  5. #105

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    Allies trigger only off Allies, so you really want to max out on Ally creatures, so little space is left for other random synergies from other sets/blocks. And you need all those pesky Ally creatures that just come from one Set/Block.
    The same is largely true about slivers, but I don't see a lot of whining about them.


    ...What is a Ally? It's not a race and not a profession. It's a happenstance. Why is it a creature type??
    That's true.

  6. #106
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,206

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    It's like a Rebel.

  7. #107
    Site Contributor
    Whitefaces's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2013
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,378

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    It's like a Rebel.
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

  8. #108
    !
    jrsthethird's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2010
    Location

    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts

    1,654

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sibelius View Post
    Could the cool new lands be the Future sight cycle ? Grove, Canopy etc.
    It wouldn't be the 'cycle'. It would be a cycle with one of those lands. Like Graven Cairns in Shadowmoor, for example.

    I think a River of Tears cycle would make some interesting decisions with the enemy pain lands and fetches around.

  9. #109

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    1. Fetchlands aren't real dual lands.
    Uh... yes they are.
    They are not able to permanently make mana of two different colors.
    You still get your pick of two colors. You might not be able to change it afterwards, but it does mean you get the choice.
    Which is a problem for some decks.
    As is having to take more damage from painlands than from fetchlands. It's a tradeoff.

    2. There are no fetchable duallands in the Standard card pool and I'm pretty sure there won't be any soon.
    So? You said they weren't good in Standard. They are good. They just aren't as amazing as they are in the nonrotating formats. It's like how Treasure Cruise is good in Standard but not as bonkers powerful as it was in Legacy.

    3. There are much less opportunities to shuffle away unwanted stuff in Standard. (Only Courser comes to mind, which will rotate soon.)
    See my note above.

    That's what the banlist is for.
    Having to ban cards in Standard is always a huge loss to publicity. Sometimes, in the case of a monstrous screw-up, it's unavoidable, but it's something they really, really want to avoid.

    Tick off people and make basic deckbuilding cards inaccessible. Great marketing!
    Tick people off and make a 1-deck format. Great marketing!

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    It wouldn't be the 'cycle'. It would be a cycle with one of those lands. Like Graven Cairns in Shadowmoor, for example.

    I think a River of Tears cycle would make some interesting decisions with the enemy pain lands and fetches around.
    I feel the big problem with a River of Tears cycle is it feels like you have to make it a 20-card cycle for it to be even. For example, in addition to River of Tears, you'd want a one that gives you Black mana normally and Blue mana if you played a land.

    I mean, I guess they could have it be a 10-card cycle, but it feels lacking because of the way it doesn't put the two colors on "equal" footing like every single other dual land has.

  10. #110
    Hamburglar Hlelpler
    TsumiBand's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2005
    Location

    Nebraska
    Posts

    2,672

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    aaaaaaaaaaaaand sigged
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

  11. #111
    Member
    ReAnimator's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Location

    Toronto Canada
    Posts

    577

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    So either Joven is a troll, or just really really stupid, it's probably in everyone's best interest to just ignore him from now on.

  12. #112
    !
    jrsthethird's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2010
    Location

    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts

    1,654

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I feel the big problem with a River of Tears cycle is it feels like you have to make it a 20-card cycle for it to be even. For example, in addition to River of Tears, you'd want a one that gives you Black mana normally and Blue mana if you played a land.

    I mean, I guess they could have it be a 10-card cycle, but it feels lacking because of the way it doesn't put the two colors on "equal" footing like every single other dual land has.
    I don't think that's a huge issue. I like it because it harkens back to nostalgia from two different blocks; Future Sight for the reprint, and original Zendikar for the "landfall". Although, since it's "played a land" and not Landfall, it doesn't work exactly how they'd like.

    Perhaps...they could redo them with Landfall and basic land types. i.e.

    Island of Darknes
    Land - Island
    (T: Add ; reminder text for the noobs)
    Landfall - If a land entered the battlefield under your control this turn, this becomes a Swamp until end of turn.

    OR

    Landfall - If a land entered the battlefield under your control this turn, this produces instead of until end of turn.

    Anything similar makes decisions interesting in standard, and doesn't necessarily require an equal distribution. Just as long as each color pair is represented in the same fashion; each ally pair changes to the one on the left, or each enemy pair changes to the one that's only 2 away. Two bonuses: anything with Landfall on the card pairs interestingly with Khans fetches for 3 months, in addition to Evolving Wilds and the like, and second, this is a different space to play with the idea of fetchable duals.

    After fleshing this out, I doubt that River of Tears will ever be completed, but rather a starting point for a cool cycle sometime soon or down the road.

  13. #113
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2011
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    313

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The same is largely true about slivers, but I don't see a lot of whining about them.
    I hate Slivers. I can whine about them. They're overpowered and uncreative and boring.

    Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    So either Joven is a troll, or just really really stupid, it's probably in everyone's best interest to just ignore him from now on.
    Be nice, I'm just stating my opinions.

  14. #114

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    I hate Slivers. I can whine about them. They're overpowered and uncreative and boring.



    Be nice, I'm just stating my opinions.
    Slivers are overpowered you heard it here first.

    Fetchlands are functionally identical to dual lands as long as their activated ability is on the stack or they're in play and you're at more than 1 life. Unless of course you're implying that you have no targets for the fetchland in the deck or just one option and not the other (like having just islands in deck but no swamps for a polluted delta.) Just so happens that there's a rumor that there are fetchable duals in BFZ whether it's true or not we have yet to see conclusively, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were. Every once in a while fetchable nonbasics are printed last time they did so was shadowmoor/8 years ago or so.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

  15. #115

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Some competitive option of lands that aren't fetches I think would be great for the game because I think fetches have a strategic edge to them that a regular land cycle simply doesn't have . the game would be more interesting if you could play a land mana base that wasn't fetches but was different.

    a land you could play either face up as 1 land type or face down as another would be really cool to me or whatever I mean two sided lands. Maybe you'd be able to fetch them but they'd only tap for 1 colour out of the two.

  16. #116
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,843

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    I get the feeling the Lands will likely be the Enemy Man lands.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  17. #117
    Just call me Dick.
    Richard Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Location

    Your mom's house.
    Posts

    2,106

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I get the feeling the Lands will likely be the Enemy Man lands.
    - first strike, deathtouch
    - double strike
    - prowess
    - scroll thief
    - something something graveyard?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

    "Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

  18. #118
    The green Ancestral
    ESG's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2010
    Location

    Seattle, WA
    Posts

    1,271

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll_ov_Grimness View Post
    Some competitive option of lands that aren't fetches I think would be great for the game because I think fetches have a strategic edge to them that a regular land cycle simply doesn't have . the game would be more interesting if you could play a land mana base that wasn't fetches but was different.
    There was a time before fetches, in the days before Legacy was a format ...

    People played more duals, mainly. Painlands were pretty common. City of Brass saw a lot more play. Wasteland wasn't as playable because tempo decks lacked early pressure. Tarmogoyf was the best thing that ever happened to Wasteland.

    If you enjoy formats without fetches, Standard is often without them. I hear that's changing, though. R&D used to be less in favor of color fixing than they are now.

  19. #119

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    ...

    If you enjoy formats without fetches, Standard is often without them. I hear that's changing, though. R&D used to be less in favor of color fixing than they are now.
    Color fixing lands sell packs.

  20. #120
    Member
    GenghisTom's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2008
    Location

    Seattle, WA
    Posts

    97

    Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

    Looks like Avenger of Zendikar is back, therefore Landfall is also back.

    EDIT: Actually I take this back - Avenger is just in the Duel Decks with new art. Not confirmed for BFZ...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)