Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Legacy Lessons] A Word On Force of Will

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

[Legacy Lessons] A Word On Force of Will

Check out my new short article on Force of Will! :)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Re: [Legacy Lessons] A Word On Force of Will

Even though I loathe Force of Will and its ability to foil my beautiful and evil plans I think your article is a very necessary one for people new to eternal formats in general. It does a wonderful job of explaining the necessity of this card in the format, which is an important thing to understand.

Good job!

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

DrJones' old adage holds: Force is the rug under which you hide the filth until you can't hide it anymore. His mistake was in thinking that was a bad thing. It's not, it allows for an entertainingly broken format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

DrJones never really hated Force. He hated his unwillingness to play drastic answers to insane threats, which lead to his eventual demise.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Not even mentioning its ability to protect your own plays? Right.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    DrJones' old adage holds: Force is the rug under which you hide the filth until you can't hide it anymore. His mistake was in thinking that was a bad thing. It's not, it allows for an entertainingly broken format.
    I completely agree with what you have said here. Legacy is at its best when 8 different decks top 8 with more than half of them being weird shit like Lands, Imperial Painter, D+T, Dredge, storm, etc. But they can not all stick around without Force of Will being present in large numbers in the rest of the field. I feel strongly that the banned list would explode if we did not have that rug. That is, I think FoW fosters diversity.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Force of Will is balanced enough for Legacy certainly. Try playing it against a deck with 36 Grizzly Bears and it's quite bad.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Force of Will is balanced enough for Legacy certainly. Try playing it against a deck with 36 Grizzly Bears and it's quite bad.
    Yeah I board it out against Death and Taxes too.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Good job!
    Thank you very much! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    That is, I think FoW fosters diversity.
    Agreed. We cannot have a Legacy that resembles the current or most past ones without Force of Will. I don't think anybody can actually try to blame Force of Will for anything bad right now. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Yeah I board it out against Death and Taxes too.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. It surely depends on the match-up you're talking about but DnT has a fair number of heavy hitters for several match-ups that break the symmetry of the match pretty harshly. Rest in Peace for GY-decks, Cataclysm for Control decks, Batterskull for aggressive decks... the list goes on.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Jun 2015
    NYC

I completely agree with what you have said here. Legacy is at its best when 8 different decks top 8 with more than half of them being weird shit like Lands, Imperial Painter, D+T, Dredge, storm, etc. But they can not all stick around without Force of Will being present in large numbers in the rest of the field. I feel strongly that the banned list would explode if we did not have that rug. That is, I think FoW fosters diversity.
    While I think this is true I also don't think you can remove it from the brainstorm discussion as they come in a package. Force is, in a vacuum, a very fair and well designed magic card. But its unique effect also requires that people play a sufficient quantity of cheap blue cards to pitch to it. So it allows for a large wild west but puts some real design limits on the on the 67% of decks that play it.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    But its unique effect also requires that people play a sufficient quantity of cheap blue cards to pitch to it.
    Force of Will makes no such requirement. You can pitch Leviathan to it just as effectively as Pact of Negation.

I don't think you can remove it from the brainstorm discussion as they come in a package.
    See Merfolk.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Interesting point. I wonder why I have never seen that happen.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Interesting point. I wonder why I have never seen that happen.
    Hey man, you're the one saying stupid shit. I'm just pointing it out.

Legacy has a very large card pool so only the most efficiently costed cards make the cut in competitive deck lists unless the strategy dictates otherwise (Stompy).
    The reason RUG runs Brainstorm and Ponder has only a little to do with Force of Will.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. It surely depends on the match-up you're talking about but DnT has a fair number of heavy hitters for several match-ups that break the symmetry of the match pretty harshly. Rest in Peace for GY-decks, Cataclysm for Control decks, Batterskull for aggressive decks... the list goes on.

Greetings
    I agree with you, that line was intended as a joke/dig at DnT (36bears.dec) rather than actual strategic advice.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

I tell the ten year olds at my LGS that Islands are blue so I don't have to run as many blue cards with FOW.

I can't disagree with the article's contents, but I'm not exactly in love with Force of Will being the only viable, maindeck option to stop fast combo/prison.

You'd think in a format as "deep" as Legacy, there would be more than one way to effectively police degenerate combo, but nope, only Force exists and pushes the player heavily into one color. It's shitty that "diversity" translates into "play Blue or get rolled by fast combo". Hardcore Spike-types will just see this as part of the (meta) game, but as someone who mostly plays for fun, the idea of sleeving up a pet deck for a tourney and being wholly dependent on the matchup lottery to be able to actually play Magic is a real drag.

It all comes down to Wizard's obstinacy regarding instant-speed stack interaction being solely relegated to Blue. Yeah, yeah, the color pie matters (except for all the times Blue receives all the goodies), but the Stack is such a fundamental part of the game that more than 20% of the colors should be able to interact with it somehow.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I play shitty bear decks and never feel like a dog to combo. Sure I don't have Force, but Thalia, Teeg, Chalice, Thoughtseize, Deathrite, Eidolon....you have a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    Not even mentioning its ability to protect your own plays? Right.
    From point #2:

It’s sometimes very hard to contain the happiness I feel every single time as this means that I’m not only more likely to win any counter war in the future but also that I will most likely not have to worry about a lot of additional disruption, enabling me to resolve the spells that make sure I don’t die, like Terminus or Swords to Plowshares. This counter baiting is a very delicate game of skill but keep in mind, what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    Yeah, yeah, the color pie matters (except for all the times Blue receives all the goodies)
    well, being OP is part of blues pie since alpha
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Force is a fine card. There are interesting play decisions with it and most tellingly: For such a ubiquitously useful card it's numbers get cut in 75's and it actually gets sided out often. I think that combination of usefulness and numbers adjusting behavior is a good sign of a card that has a healthy place in the format.

While I think this is true I also don't think you can remove it from the brainstorm discussion as they come in a package. Force is, in a vacuum, a very fair and well designed magic card. But its unique effect also requires that people play a sufficient quantity of cheap blue cards to pitch to it. So it allows for a large wild west but puts some real design limits on the on the 67% of decks that play it.
    There used to be a time when people stressed about including enough blue cards to fuel Force. You don't see those kinds of posts at all anymore. You mostly see those kinds of concerns from Delver and Goblins pilots and sometimes the occasional attempt at reconfiguring Elves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Thread Information