Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: GP SeaTac

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

GP SeaTac

I find it really hard to believe there's not already a thread for this, but I couldn't seem to find one so here we go.

Who's going to be there?
    What are you running?
    What do you think the meta will look like?

Also I know a bunch of you guys live in the area, where my restaurant/attractions/booze/nightlife recommendations at?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Re: GP SeaTac

Oh hey I was just looking for this.

I'll be there, on Miracles as usual.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

There are a couple threads about it. No meetup/who's going thread though that I know of.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...5-Legacy-Dates

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Attendance-Cap

I'll be there, still undecided on what I'm playing, but leaning towards Miracles.

Not sure what the meta will look like.

I live in the general area, but I'm not into the nightlife scene. Though the Convention center is near the Theatre District and there are quite a few bars within a few blocks walking distance.

As for food, the places I'd recommend are MSM Deli (about 8 mins driving), The Red Hot (about 3 blocks from MSM Deli) & Frisko Freeze (about 5 mins away). Those are places I've been to that others have recommended to me. I'll get MoxMonkey to chime in since he's more familiar with the area.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Yep yep, I'm in! Hopefully not as sick as last weekend. :)

/edit

Oh yeah, and I'm on Human Rebel Cleric Tribal of course
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

I'll be at the GP but I think the plan is to retreat to Seatown and avoid the granola of Tacoma.

A week out, I have byes, and have no idea what I'm going to sleeve up. I'm taking testing really seriously though and have a Land Equilibrium deck together for Legacy tonight.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I'll be at the GP but I think the plan is to retreat to Seatown and avoid the granola of Tacoma.

A week out, I have byes, and have no idea what I'm going to sleeve up. I'm taking testing really seriously though and have a Land Equilibrium deck together for Legacy tonight.
    I'll be super disappointed if you don't play Moat Stompy.

I'll also be there, and I'll be summoning our lord and savior Marit Lage.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I'll be there on my usual. We should have a Source nerd meet up!

If any of yall arrive early (like days early), there will be two Legacy weekly events leading up to the GP that are definitely worth checking out. Payout is the same for both:
    4-0 = $70
    3-0-1 = $50
    3-1 = $30
    2-1-1 = $15??
    All in store credit. You can also use this store credit in the restaurant so MTG Glory = Booze.

Card Kingdom (http://www.cardkingdom.com/static/storeinfo/events)
    Mondays. Entry is $10. Starts at 6:30.

Mox Boarding House (http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/bellevue-events/)
    Thursdays. Entry is $10. Starts at 7:00.

They are sister stores so gift cards are interchangeable. And both locations sell singles, board games, and food including booze. Both weekly events have been at or near capacity lately (64ish players) so if you wanna get in, you should get there early! All the most awesome Seattle wizards will be in attendance, so don't miss out!

I hope to see all of your NERDS there. I'll be the loud guy taking selfies with phazonmutant.
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Armageddon Stax!

Nov 2010
    Tacoma, WA

I'll have to find you sometime during the weekend. I have a small box of german stuffs for ya.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Well I'm going with my wife, and I've never been to Seattle or the PNW at all, which means I don't reeeeeeeally care about the GP very much. Still, I can't decide what to troll with play for the main event. My choices at this point are down to:
    • TinFins
    • Rocksteady (Siege Rhino Junk)
    • Bizarro Stormy (UR Storm)
    • Treefolk

TinFins is probably the strongest deck at a big event, but it's like a real deck now, and I'm generally terrible at combo.

Rocksteady has been my go-to for the last few locals and has felt pretty solid, even though last time I played it was with DTT legal. Turning dudes sideways is really my strong suit, but it's also slow and fairly boring/serious.

Bizarro Stormy is a thing I ran once at FNM and everyone laughed at me trying to resolve my own spells, which is pretty fun. Also it's got a transformational sideboard which I have a big dumb boner for. Mostly a terrible deck though.

Treefolk is probably the strongest contender right now, just because I've nearly finished converting all the actual Treefolk to Russian, and there's something I find oddly appealing about getting judges called for oracle wordings on Treefolk all day. I guess I'll see if those Bosk Bannerets get here before I leave next week. The biggest downsides are the fact that it's objectively awful, I have to actually remember what all the fucking Treefolk do, and that I don't have a SeaLab-related name for it yet. I've got it narrowed town to a few strong choices though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Nov 2010
    Tacoma, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    There are a couple threads about it. No meetup/who's going thread though that I know of.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...5-Legacy-Dates

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Attendance-Cap

I'll be there, still undecided on what I'm playing, but leaning towards Miracles.

Not sure what the meta will look like.

I live in the general area, but I'm not into the nightlife scene. Though the Convention center is near the Theatre District and there are quite a few bars within a few blocks walking distance.

As for food, the places I'd recommend are MSM Deli (about 8 mins driving), The Red Hot (about 3 blocks from MSM Deli) & Frisko Freeze (about 5 mins away). Those are places I've been to that others have recommended to me. I'll get MoxMonkey to chime in since he's more familiar with the area.
    Yeah theres planty of decent places close by. jimmy johns, harmons brewery, than bros. pho, afew decent bars for drinks. a trolly can take you to freighthouse which is like a food court setup. but thats only if you have time.

I won't be in the main event, so if anyone want to EDH some, come find me.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Still, I can't decide what to troll with play for the main event.
    Turbo Troll Tribal.
    With Rancor.

Not even Supreme Verdict can stop these basement dwellers.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

I find it really hard to believe there's not already a thread for this, but I couldn't seem to find one so here we go.

Who's going to be there?
    What are you running?
    What do you think the meta will look like?

Also I know a bunch of you guys live in the area, where my restaurant/attractions/booze/nightlife recommendations at?
    1) I'll be there.
    2) Dunno what I'm running. Likely either my standbys BUG Delver or Enchantress, but possibly a new brew.
    3) The field should be very open, with more than a few Burn decks and Modern ports in the lower rounds. I'm coming in with byes, so I expect to see a greater percentage of blue from Round 3 on, though less blue than if Dig had been spared. Stoneforge strategies are currently very popular here, and Infect has been on the rise. Mentor Miracles is probably the deck to beat, but there are competent longtime players repping almost every archetype, so you could very well run into something like Painter or Aluren in the X-0 bracket after half of Day 1.

4) I live in Seattle now. I lived in Tacoma for a few years in the mid-'00s, and there wasn't much nightlife there. I defer to whomever lives in that area now. I recommend making the drive to Seattle at least one day or evening during your trip because your options increase a thousandfold. The drive is a nontrivial 45 minutes (and longer with traffic), so plan accordingly. If you are coming in a day or two early or heading back a day or two after the GP, you'll have plenty of time to see and do a lot. Phazonmutant would probably have the best recommendations for booze. Clearly you should participate in the bounty of Card Kingdom in Ballard and Mox Boarding House in Bellevue, but I'll recommend some other, non-Magic stuff, and maybe others can pitch in on food recommendations.

In general, in terms of food, booze, and entertainment options, Capitol Hill and Downtown will give you the most flexibility.

RECORD STORES

Everyday Music on Capitol Hill has probably the best and largest selection of CDs. There are dozens of bars and restaurants on Capitol Hill, so you can wander a short distance and stop in anywhere that catches your eye.

Hours: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily

1520 10th Ave.
    Seattle WA 98122

Sonic Boom Records

Another good independent store. This one is only seven or eight blocks from Card Kingdom in Ballard.

Hours:
    10 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day except for Sunday, which is 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

2209 NW Market St, Seattle, WA 98107
    Phone:(206) 297-2666

Bop Street Records

This is basically across the street from Sonic Boom in Ballard and has the biggest selection of actual records.

Address: 2220 NW Market St, Seattle, WA 98107
    Phone: (206) 297-2232
    Hours:
    Thursday 12:00 – 10:00 PM
    Friday 12:00 – 10:00 PM
    Saturday 12:00 – 10:00 PM
    Sunday 12:00 – 5:00 PM
    Monday Closed
    Tuesday 12:00 – 8:00 PM
    Wednesday 12:00 – 8:00 PM

LIVE MUSIC

Thursday, Nov. 5:

*Luna are playing their first tour in 10 years and will be at the Showbox. There are two Showboxes (SoDo and the Market); I believe this show is held at the Market location, which is downtown and not far from Pike Place Market.
    www.showboxpresents.com/events/detail/281199

Friday, Nov. 6:

*Lemolo are having their album-release show at the Crocodile in Belltown.
    www.thecrocodile.com/listing

*There's an '80s/'90s Homecoming-themed event at Neumos on Capitol Hill.
    http://neumos.com/event/rapture-80s9...coming-edition

*Also on Capitol Hill, the Highline hosts lots of punk and hardcore bands:
    www.highlineseattle.com/calendar

Saturday, Nov. 7:
    *Ghostland Observatory are playing at Showbox SoDo, which is near Safeco Field.
    www.showboxpresents.com/events/detail/292035

IMPROV

The crew at Jet City Improv have a good track record for quick wit and creativity, and I've seen four or five shows there. All were good. Here are some of their current promising offerings:

Thursday:
    www.jetcityimprov.org/shows/black-flag

Friday:
    http://www.jetcityimprov.org/shows/w...er-in-all-caps

MUSEUMS

The EMP/Experience Music Project is pretty cool. The architecture of the building itself is flat-out amazing.
    http://www.empmuseum.org
    Hours: 10-5 daily

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I'll also be there, and I'll be summoning our lord and savior Marit Lage.
    Good luck to you. Kick some Shardless ass. (Totally unbiased opinion...)
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Isn't there a train that runs between Tacoma/Seattle? I thought it was only like $5 each way, which isn't too bad.

For those not planning on renting a car, how are you getting from the airport to your hotel?

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Isn't there a train that runs between Tacoma/Seattle? I thought it was only like $5 each way, which isn't too bad.

For those not planning on renting a car, how are you getting from the airport to your hotel?
    Light Rail:
    http://www.soundtransit.org/link

Sounder Train:
    http://www.soundtransit.org/sounder

A nice overview of public transit in the Seattle area:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6...portation.html

I've only ever used the buses and the Light Rail. Note that the Light Rail stops at SeaTac airport but won't get you all the way down to Tacoma proper where the event will be held. We also have Uber and Lyft drivers out and about almost all the time if that's your thing.
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Nov 2010
    Tacoma, WA

The sounder only runs during the weekday. Weekends only if there is a game (sounders, sehawks or mariners)

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by MoxMonkey View Post
    The sounder only runs during the weekday. Weekends only if there is a game (sounders, sehawks or mariners)
    Well shit. I was just going to ask why there were no trains running today until after 4:00pm. So let me see if I've got this straight:

It looks like there's a bus (594) that runs between UW campus and downtown Seattle and takes about an hour, and runs until 11:45pm. I would need a multi-county fare ($3.50), which requires either exact change, or an ORCA card that I can get at a light rail station and reload?

At the end of the day, if Google maps transit directions are accurate, I think we should be fine.

Nov 2010
    Tacoma, WA

Well shit. I was just going to ask why there were no trains running today until after 4:00pm. So let me see if I've got this straight:

It looks like there's a bus (594) that runs between UW campus and downtown Seattle and takes about an hour, and runs until 11:45pm. I would need a multi-county fare ($3.50), which requires either exact change, or an ORCA card that I can get at a light rail station and reload?

At the end of the day, if Google maps transit directions are accurate, I think we should be fine.
    The 594 will drop you off at the t-dome station. go up one street to the trolly. That will take you to the site and free to ride.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by MoxMonkey View Post
    The 594 will drop you off at the t-dome station. go up one street to the trolly. That will take you to the site and free to ride.
    We're staying in Tacoma (which was probably a mistake in hindsight), so I'm mostly trying to figure out how we're getting to Seattle for most of the days. Bus is pretty doable. I'm just assuming that because it's Seattle, the bus will be pretty nice and have things like free WiFi and mustache wax.

Thread Information