Thread: Grafdigger's Cage and graveyard shuffling

May 2015
    PDX

Grafdigger's Cage and graveyard shuffling

This question is specific to dredge variants (ichorid and nether shadow):
    The scenario is that dredge is winding up to topdeck a way to deal with a resolved cage, for whatever reason they need the last point of damage a nether shadow can provide. They need 1-3 ichorids above the shadow to trigger. In their upkeep Ichorids trigger, and dredge player *honors* that trigger, but cage stops them from entering the battlefield - do the ichorid's end up on top of graveyard (above nether shadow)??

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: Grafdigger's Cage and graveyard shuffling

There is no effect that instructs you to change your graveyard order. Ichorid stay where they are.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    There is no effect that instructs you to change your graveyard order. Ichorid stay where they are.
    A mild clarification (and the opportunity to post a very strange card); there is nothing in this context that instructs you to change your graveyard order. (the ichorids don't "come out and go back in"; they just "never come out" so remain where they are.)

There is the card Fossil Find :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I was not referring to Magic in general, but the specific situation when I said that there was no effect telling you to reorder your graveyard. I'm sure there should be a couple of effects that can potentially change your graveyard order.

Also, fun card
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I was not referring to Magic in general, but the specific situation when I said that there was no effect telling you to reorder your graveyard.
    I realize it may have come off that way; but in my heart of hearts I knew what you meant. It was mostly an opportunity to post a ridiculous card while decorating it with mildly helpful reasoning (the bit about why Ichorid doesn't switch spots)

Glad you enjoyed the card lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

May 2015
    PDX

Thanks for the replies, was just unclear on whether or not cage creates some temporary zone-type area between using ichorid triggers to try and enter the battlefield but failing to enter, that would cause them to rise to top of graveyard. Correct graveyard order is what separates civilization from savagery after all.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Thanks for the replies, was just unclear on whether or not cage creates some temporary zone-type area between using ichorid triggers to try and enter the battlefield but failing to enter, that would cause them to rise to top of graveyard. Correct graveyard order is what separates civilization from savagery after all.
    No, if anything were to change zones and it can't (for whatever reason), it just never moves at all.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Oct 2011
    California

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Although MTGO likes to spawn "temporary zones", there's no such thing in Magic. Ante, battlefield, command, exile, graveyard, hand, library, and stack are all the zones that exist; when something moves a card, one moment it's in the origin zone and the next moment it's in the destination zone. If something tries and fails to move a card, it just doesn't move at all.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    No, if anything were to change zones and it can't (for whatever reason), it just never moves at all.
    Usually. If a permanent spell resolves but its controller can't put it on the battlefield, it goes to their graveyard; it doesn't just stay on the stack forever. (The canonical example for this one is a resolved Clone that wants to enter as a Dryad Arbor when there's a Worms of the Earth on the battlefield.)
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Thread Information