Thread: UW Chalice//Thopters

UW Chalice//Thopters

Hey all,
    I actually created an account so I could share this deck. Leading up to GP Seatac I was practicing a single list for several months and fighting off my deck ADHD. I don't have a lot of experience playing chalice of the void lists but I always enjoy the things it looks like U/B Tezz is doing. My thought when creating this list was that UB Tezz has the capability of explosive starting hands and some inevitable late game but some of the mid game pieces are pretty weak. Baleful Strix is cool but ultimately not great at progressing the game. I thought Stoneforge Mystic would be an interesting replacement as it tutors for combo pieces, has only 1 colored mana symbol, and getting Batterskull has similar game stalling potential with the upside of having more power to win the game.

Here's the list I started with:
    4x Stoneforge mystic
    1x Batterskull
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of the Meek

3x Thopter Foundry
    3x Azorius Signet
    1x Talisman of Progress
    4x Chalice of the Void

4x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Nahiri, the Lithomancer
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant

2x Council's Judgment
    1x Thirst for Knowledge
    1x Compulsive Research
    2x Monastery Siege
    3x Supreme Verdict
    4x Force of Will
    (38 Maindeck spells, 14 Artifacts)

4x Tundra
    4x Flooded Strand
    3x Seachrome Coast
    2x Island
    2x Plains
    1x Karakas
    1x Academy Ruins
    4x Ancient Tomb
    1x City of Traitors

Sideboard (Pretty much a mess)
    2x Containment Priest
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    2x Meddling Mage
    2x Chill
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x Karakas
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    2x Disenchant
    1x Zuran Orb
    1x Flusterstorm

So after the GP I wanted to really stretch out and play something new. I went 2-1-1 last night at the Cardkingdom weekly (1-2 4c delver, 2-0 D&T, 1-1 Junkfit, 2-1 Lands). My matchup vs the 4c delver list felt great pre-board and then post board I didn't have anything relevant to bring in really, Therapy ate me alive. D&T felt pretty good even though I think I should have boarded out the chalices and he started on turn 1 cavern into vial. Junk Fit felt like I was favored once the game got rolling as he was vulnerable to the second karakas (Gaddock Teeg), but I drew a lot of air after he extirpated jace & thopter foundry and Monastery siege was exceptionally terrible. Lands matchups were very non interactive. Game 1 I finally had a turn 1 chalice and beat him with thopters through a tabernacle. Game 2 he had exploration wasteland lock to my turn 2 Stoneforge. Game 3 I had turn 1 chalice on 1 and 0. Turn 2 SFM, turn 3 jace and turn 4 chalice on 3 since I figured his outs were Krosan grips.

After the event I immediately decided that Monastery Siege was not a card. The frost titan ability is too narrow since it doesn't effect abilities like pridemage and rec sage. I used the draw mode every time in which case it felt slow and bad unless I had it for 3 turns or more. I liked the maindeck a lot and I thought compulsive and thirst both exceeded my expectations, it feels crazy to be up cards in legacy after casting 1000s of brainstorms. I felt the deck was 1-2 artifacts short because there were a couple of times I had foundry on the field and sword of the meek in the yard but didn't have any artifacts to get the ball rolling. The sideboard felt pretty loose, which was to be expected having never played or tested. Having the 4th verdict was good but I felt prone to getting run over by delver decks.

My initial changes look like this:
    -2 Monastery Siege
    -1 Seachrome Coast
    +1 Seat of the Synod
    +1 Compulsive Research
    +1 Azorius Signet

Sideboard:
    -1 Flusterstorm
    -1 Zuran Orb
    +2 Ghostly Prison ?

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated. I've thought about replacing Nahiri with OG Tezz and I think a second Venser would be good but I didn't feel like buying them until I was at least a little confident this deck was playable.

Re: UW Chalice//Thopters

I always liked Humility in these type of control Thopter decks.

Re: UW Chalice//Thopters

this deck should have multiple copies of humility in it

Thread Information