Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Article] No Reserved List Legacy

Re: [Article] No Reserved List Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianLibrarian View Post
    http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/...ed-list-legacy

Simple premise: What if, instead of abolishing the Reserve List, Wizards just banned all of the cards on it? What would that do to the format? I'm hoping the discussion can be about how the metagame might change and whether those changes would be good/bad for the format, and not turn into yet another RL argument.

Decks that get worse: MUD (no Metalworker/Monolith/City), Dredge (no LED), Elves (No Cradle), Lands (no Mox Diamond/Tabernacle), Aluren (lol)
    Decks that get better: Aggro/Burn strategies due to the life impact of shocklands, decks that already don't care about their life
    Hard to tell: Storm (no LED, but less Storm count needed so maybe it cancels out?)

(Not my article, I'm not sure if the author/site post here, I'm just interested in this forum's thoughts).
    Sounds dumb. Format would become a slightly more powerful modern. But modern is a slightly more powerful standard which is why it blows. Just remove the reserved list, I'd rather play this game than watch my cards collect dust.

Edit: Lets say for the sake of argument Legacy dies. Would these collectors/hoarders be able to move any of their collection? Would they still hold value? It makes more sense to me that they remove the reserved list and make something like Legacy Masters. Drafting that would be awesome and it would get more people into the game. It wouldn't affect prices that much, just look at Tarmogoyf, Clique and Dark confidant.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

If you're going to do something to this effect (large change in the parameters of the format) making modern start with Masques makes more sense in my opinion, it skirts around the reserved list by starting with the first set not affected by it and includes plenty of cards (Cabal Therapy most notably imo) that would be great in modern but possibly too good in standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    If you're going to do something to this effect (large change in the parameters of the format) making modern start with Masques makes more sense in my opinion, it skirts around the reserved list by starting with the first set not affected by it and includes plenty of cards (Cabal Therapy most notably imo) that would be great in modern but possibly too good in standard.
    Therapy, Pyromancer, and Probe having a steamy threesome would spaff all over the face of Modern and initiate the apocalypse.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

You say that like its a bad thing
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I just ran through the sets real quick and from Masques to 8th, here's the major stuff I saw that would be added. I'm amazed how much more like legacy-lite the format would look:

Masques
    Brainstorm
    Counterspell

Energy Flux
    Misdirection
    Dark Ritual
    Unmask
    Pulverize
    Food Chain
    Dust Bowl
    Rihadan Port
    Tower of the Magistrate

Nemesis
    Lin Sivvi (and the rest of her gang)
    Daze
    Submerge
    Massacre
    Flame Rift

Invasion
    Ana, Ceta, Necra, Raka, Dega as the names for the wedges
    Fact or Fiction
    Sterling Grove

Planeshift:
    Vindicate

Apocalypse
    Fire//Ice

Odyssey
    Careful Study
    Standstill
    Entomb
    Tainted Pact

Torment
    Many cards key to building a Madness deck
    Chainers Edict
    Cabal Coffers

Judgement
    Golden Wish
    Burning Wish
    Cunning Wish

Envelop
    Mental Note
    Cabal Therapy
    Worldgorger Dragon
    Riftstone Portal

Onslaught
    Allied fetch lands years earlier

Astral Slide and the things required to make that a deck
    True Believer
    Chain of Vapor
    Riptide Lab
    Goblin Piledriver years earlier
    Goblin Sharpshooter
    Slice and Dice
    Birchlore Rangers
    Enchantress’s Presence

Legions
    Gempalm Incinerator

Scourge
    Decree of Justice
    Brain Freeze
    Mind’s Desire
    Stifle
    Tendrils of Agony

Pyrostatic Pillar
    Sulfuric Vortex
    Wirewood Symbiote

And that's just the cards that I noticed in a quick run. I'm sure there are some I missed and I wasn't even looking for synergies that might exist.

Goblins and Elves get huge boosts.
    Control gets Brainstorm and Counterspell

Combo gets... well, an ungodly number of things.

Tempo gets Daze, Stifle, and Submerge

Foodchain as well as possibly Madness, Rebels, and Cycling.dec all become possible additions to the metagame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

DEED THAT IS PERNICIOUS

That is all.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Masques
    Brainstorm
    Counterspell

Energy Flux
    Misdirection
    Dark Ritual
    Unmask
    Pulverize
    Food Chain
    Dust Bowl
    Rihadan Port
    Tower of the Magistrate
    There's no chance in hell they would allow Brainstorm and Dark Ritual in Modern. They would get banned asap, considering shittier cards are on the Banned List.

I'd love me some Ports and Dust Bowls in Modern D&T, though.

Edit: As for the article: Not mentioning of D&T seems wrong - it loses absolutely nothing since it has no cards on the Reserve List while the manabase of everybody else gets extremely shitty and potentially loses key cards, too. Ports and Wasteland preying on a Shockland manabase is a massacre.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    There's no chance in hell they would allow Brainstorm and Dark Ritual in Modern. They would get banned asap, considering shittier cards are on the Banned List.

Edit: As for the article: Not mentioning of D&T seems wrong - it loses absolutely nothing since it has no cards on the Reserve List while the manabase of everybody else gets extremely shitty and potentially loses key cards, too. Ports and Wasteland preying on a Shockland manabase is a massacre.
    In this Legacy-lite format, DnT and Merfolk are so~~ strong, follow by Miracles (runs enough Basic), follow by Burn. Kill off combo cards like LED and Cradle. Without Null Rod..., everyone runs needle to stop Vial and SDT?

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Given the quality and type of cards being introduced into the format, I doubt the banlist would remain the same. Better disruption (Counterspell and Cabal Therapy) means it's less safe to play Combo and Linear strategies and better to play a reactionary/disruptive deck.

No reserved list legacy seems poor for D&T, Tempo decks with daze basically aren't playable with shocklands (as they are currently built) which compromise a large part of D&T positive match ups in the field right now. We'd likely see more infect and miracles, as the 2 damage basically means nothing to infect as they are aiming to win in the area of turn 2-4 and Miracles can be built with Battle Lands and Mystic Gate and barely notice the difference.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    In this Legacy-lite format, DnT and Merfolk are so~~ strong, follow by Miracles (runs enough Basic), follow by Burn. Kill off combo cards like LED and Cradle. Without Null Rod..., everyone runs needle to stop Vial and SDT?
    Stony Silence is a card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Given the quality and type of cards being introduced into the format, I doubt the banlist would remain the same. Better disruption (Counterspell and Cabal Therapy) means it's less safe to play Combo and Linear strategies and better to play a reactionary/disruptive deck.
    I on the otherhand don't think Counterspell and Cabal Therapy would do enough to prevent the flood of combo that would come from this. Lack of FoW seems like a big problem. Sure Cabal Therapy (and maybe Counterspell... maybe) would be format warping for Modern, but I don't think they do enough against all the other legacy quality cards introduced.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

That said, though, I'd wholeheartedly support a Legacy Restricted format, in which the Reserved List is restricted instead of banned.

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

No reserved List?! I call it Bullshit...Don't play legacy if you don't want to buy the cards.^^

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

So Modern+. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Sadly, going by their current policy they can't print a FTV to get around this either.

'A previous version of this policy allowed premium versions of cards on the reserved list to be printed. Starting in 2011, no cards on the reserved list will be printed in either premium or non-premium form.'

Link.
    I didnt list any reserved list cards.

edit: scrolled down

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I just ran through the sets real quick and from Masques to 8th, here's the major stuff I saw that would be added. I'm amazed how much more like legacy-lite the format would look:

Masques
    Brainstorm
    Counterspell

Energy Flux
    Misdirection
    Dark Ritual
    Unmask
    Pulverize
    Food Chain
    Dust Bowl
    Rihadan Port
    Tower of the Magistrate

Nemesis
    Lin Sivvi (and the rest of her gang)
    Daze
    Submerge
    Massacre
    Flame Rift

Invasion
    Ana, Ceta, Necra, Raka, Dega as the names for the wedges
    Fact or Fiction
    Sterling Grove

Planeshift:
    Vindicate

Apocalypse
    Fire//Ice

Odyssey
    Careful Study
    Standstill
    Entomb
    Tainted Pact

Torment
    Many cards key to building a Madness deck
    Chainers Edict
    Cabal Coffers

Judgement
    Golden Wish
    Burning Wish
    Cunning Wish

Envelop
    Mental Note
    Cabal Therapy
    Worldgorger Dragon
    Riftstone Portal

Onslaught
    Allied fetch lands years earlier

Astral Slide and the things required to make that a deck
    True Believer
    Chain of Vapor
    Riptide Lab
    Goblin Piledriver years earlier
    Goblin Sharpshooter
    Slice and Dice
    Birchlore Rangers
    Enchantress’s Presence

Legions
    Gempalm Incinerator

Scourge
    Decree of Justice
    Brain Freeze
    Mind’s Desire
    Stifle
    Tendrils of Agony

Pyrostatic Pillar
    Sulfuric Vortex
    Wirewood Symbiote

And that's just the cards that I noticed in a quick run. I'm sure there are some I missed and I wasn't even looking for synergies that might exist.

Goblins and Elves get huge boosts.
    Control gets Brainstorm and Counterspell

Combo gets... well, an ungodly number of things.

Tempo gets Daze, Stifle, and Submerge

Foodchain as well as possibly Madness, Rebels, and Cycling.dec all become possible additions to the metagame.
    No wastelands, plus Sandstone Needle is big.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Instead of replacing a great format (Legacy) with a diluted "Modern plus" because of the implications of the Reserved List in the distant future, why not replace a format that is shitty right now (Modern) with this No Reserved List Eternal format instead?

This was a rhetorical question, but that possibility wasn't considered in the article because it's for a website geared to financiers/speculators rather than to players.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Personally, the loss of Mox Diamond and Dual Lands would end my current enjoyment in Legacy.

We all agree the list is bad, but you don't solve the issue by cutting out so much of the format. Because you take out the soul of the format if you so drastically change its core.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Because you take out the soul of the format if you so drastically change its core.
    This. Virtually all the most interesting decks - those that can exist only in a format like Legacy - will get hurt or killed. Lands, painter, Elves, MUD, as well as fringier decks like Belcher, High Tide, Pox, Enchantress and more.

Dice nailed it - this would suck the soul out of Legacy
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Read the article the other day, and frankly, it was one of the stupidest things I'd read in some time. And I read the news.

What would banning everything on the reserved list actually solve? Seems the author was flailing for a nice, arbitrary designator for a group of cards that would include Stuff He(?) Doesn't Like, and that's how the reserved list came up.

Let's be honest: there are specific cards that define Legacy play and have always defined Legacy play (and competitive magic in the eternal formats) for as long as the format's been around. THOSE CARDS AREN'T ALL ON THE RESERVED LIST. Force of Will isn't on the list, yet Grandmother Sengir is. So the reserved list is not a guide for determining a card's playability, and thus, the author's argument doesn't really have any bearing on the gameplay of the format, and everything about gameplay that he says subsequent to his suggestion is nonsensical speculation.

If people complain about the price of the cards on the reserved list, and if the author's primary concern is economic in nature, why doesn't he realize that banning those cards not only would hurt collectors, but would cause the prices of "the next best things" to skyrocket? Storytime: I moved halfway across the country not long ago and sold about ten thousand junk commons I'd accumulated over my sixteen years of playing the game. I had, at the time, seven to nine copies of Serum Visions, that mediocre cantrip nobody cared about beause Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Sensei's Divining Top, etc. are cards that exist. I threw all but a playset of the Visions into repacks for our family's glorified garage-sale, thinking I couldn't move them on e-bay without paying as much in shipping as they were worth, and I didn't think more about it. Until everyone realized, a couple of months later, that bans had made Serum Visions the best cantrip in Modern, and the price quintupled.

Yeah, Serum Visions isn't anything like Candelabra or Imperial Recruiter or the duals, but I tell that story to ask these questions: what would happen to the price of shocklands if duals were banned in Legacy? They'd go up. Maybe way up. Would the increase in the price of said shocks help people get into the format? No. Would it hurt the odds that prospective players would get into Modern because of the collateral effect of increasing prices? Yes. Would banning duals have an adverse effect on the people who are Legacy stalwarts? Yes. Why? Because the price of their duals would go down and many people, I think, would take such bannings as a whipcrack to the jimmies. Would it "solve the problem with Legacy" to ban duals, City of Traitors, etc.? No, and there never WAS a problem, at least as far as gameplay is concerned.

I've complained about card prices for years, and I won't argue that it's not tough to sink hundreds of dollars into the land-base for a deck that's otherwise pretty similar to its incarnation in other formats. But if anything is killing Legacy, it's the stupidity of people who don't seem to notice that Tarmogoyf is more expensive than most of the dual lands, not the price of said dual lands or the fact that they're not coming back.

Thread Information