Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Coin flip deck

  1. #1

    Coin flip deck

    Overview

    So this deck is basically a burn deck with a luck element build into it by flipping coins. The deck revolves around flipping coins if you win the flips get great effects and if you lose the flips usually you get no effects what so ever so the deck is high risk Huge reward play style.


    Introduction

    Burn

    Mana Clash - a lightning bolt that can only target players, with a thumb out you can kill someone as long as you have enough life to spare.

    Game of Chaos - a lightning helix that can only target players, with a thumb out you can kill someone.

    Fiery Gambit - deal three damage to a creature and six damage to an opponent if lucky you also draw 9 and untap all your lands.

    Draw

    Squee's Revenge - you can draw as many as you want, in practice 2 is the sweet number and with a thumb out its a draw 4 for three mana.

    Extra turns

    Stitch in Time- 50/50 to take an extra turn with a planewalker out it baits out a counter from an opponent.

    Alt win con

    Chance Encounter - win ten coin flips

    Karplusan Minotaur - win flips kill creatures or your opponent.

    Free counters

    Planar Chaos - with a Vexing Shusher and thumb out you basically lock out your opponent from the game.

    Planewalkers

    Ral Zarek - deals damage to an opponent or creatures and the ultimate is time walk x5 with a thumb out.


    Techs/support

    Preordain - card selection, no fetches so no brainstorm.
    Gitaxian Probe - filter and information.
    Vexing Shusher - protects against blue heavy counter decks.
    Krark's Thumb - makes all your cards crazy strong.
    Puppet's Verdict - creature sweeper with thumb out destroys what you want.
    Red Elemental Blast - blue counter.
    Reverberate - copy your spells or your opponents, options are always good.
    Pyromancer's goggles - double up on all your red spells
    swan song - side board and makes a guy for non creature decks so you can use fiery gambit.

    Other cards to consider
    delver of secrets - most of the deck has an instant or sorcery.
    Odds/Ends - counters or copy a spell and with your 4 rainbow lands you can cast the other half in rare cases.
    Frenetic Efreet - a 2/1 flyer that can exile itself in a pitch
    Desperate Gambit - double damage for anything you want sounds like fun. works on spells on the stack.
    Quicken - most of the your deck has sorcery spells and filters a card.
    Force of will - 15 blue spells in your decks.

    Current Deck list

    4x mana clash
    4x krark's thumb
    4x fiery gambit
    4x stitch in time
    4x game of chaos
    3x preordain
    2x vexing shusher
    2x ral zarek
    2x gitaxian probe
    2x reverberate
    2x squee's revenge
    2x planer chaos
    1x chance encounter
    1x Pyromancer's goggles

    1x sulfur falls
    3x steam vents
    4x mana confluence
    8x mountain
    6x island

    Sideboard
    3x red elemental blast
    2x swan song
    2x tormod's crypt
    2x boil
    3x puppet's verdict
    3x lightning bolt

    A budget deck i been testing, i own force of wills so i should probably be using them somewhere in the 75 but they make bad top decks and i already have vexing shusher so i don't know. I don't own duel lands but i don't really feel this deck care because i don't use fetch lands. Any advise would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Norin-kin
    blubberpompnao's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2015
    Location

    Portland, Oregon
    Posts

    31

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Wouldn't this thread be more suited for the casual and budget forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    In the name of the Brainstorm, the Ponder, and the Dig through Time, Amen!

  3. #3

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Quote Originally Posted by blubberpompnao View Post
    Wouldn't this thread be more suited for the casual and budget forum?
    Yes and no. I can see how you look at the deck and assume its a casual deck but the deck can win on turn 3 and it something i been testing and felt it was worth sharing with the community. Your input was great and super helpful towards the decks development.

  4. #4
    Norin-kin
    blubberpompnao's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2015
    Location

    Portland, Oregon
    Posts

    31

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Quote Originally Posted by dogcat View Post
    Yes and no. I can see how you look at the deck and assume its a casual deck but the deck can win on turn 3 and it something i been testing and felt it was worth sharing with the community. Your input was great and super helpful towards the decks development.
    I mean it's literally a budget deck, you said so yourself. Remember there is a Casual and BUDGET Forum..

    But best of luck with your deck looks fun enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    In the name of the Brainstorm, the Ponder, and the Dig through Time, Amen!

  5. #5
    Member
    jrw1985's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Location

    Kapa'a HI
    Posts

    412

    Tournament report or GTFO.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Copenhagen
    Posts

    2,275

    Re: Coin flip deck

    there was a deck tech on a coin flip deck at the grand prix a few weeks back. looked pretty fun. wanted to try on modo, but you can't see what your opponent's flip for mana clash (b/c modo sucks)

    Creatures (3)
    1 Karplusan Minotaur
    2 Vexing Shusher

    Planeswalkers (2)
    2 Ral Zarek

    Spells (34)
    2 Squee’s Revenge
    1 Puppet’s Verdict
    2 Planar Chaos
    1 Chance Encounter
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Fiery Gambit
    4 Mana Clash
    3 Preordain
    4 Krark’s Thumb
    4 Game of Chaos
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Stitch in Time

    Lands (21)
    10 Mountain
    6 Island
    2 Sulfur Falls
    3 Mana Confluence

    Sideboard (15)
    4 Plains
    3 Puppet’s Verdict
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Ral Zarek
    1 Karplusan Minotaur
    1 Squee’s Revenge
    4 Red Elemental Blast
    -rob

  7. #7

    Re: Coin flip deck

    What about a Stompy manabase?

    Sol lands, Chrome Mox's and maybe even Lotus Petals powering out turn 1 Krark's Thumb and Chalice of the Void, turn 2 Planar Chaos and Fiery Gambits. It'd be good to make mana off of the Gambits.

    I think that Karplusan Minotaur is a good finisher in this deck; it triggers off of ALL coin flips, not just the cumulative upkeep ones. Deals damage very quickly...

  8. #8

    Re: Coin flip deck

    whats a stomy mana base ? like ancient tomb

  9. #9
    !
    jrsthethird's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2010
    Location

    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts

    1,654

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Quote Originally Posted by dogcat View Post
    whats a stomy mana base ? like ancient tomb
    Yes, and City of Traitors or Crystal Vein. Also, moxen/Spirit Guides: Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal, Simian Spirit Guide. Maybe even Sandstone Needle and friends.

  10. #10

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Frenetic Efreet and Chance Encounter is a two-card win combo. You can activate the flip ability on the efreet 10,000 times and once you hit the required number of counters for encounter, you can just abandon the other flips since only the first one matters for what happens to the efreet. Then win on your upkeep.

    Throw in some Red Elemental Blasts, Gamble, and stompy mana acceleration, and there ya go?

  11. #11

    Re: Coin flip deck

    There's another 'combo' with Ink-Treader Nephilim and Fiery Gambit, but to make that work you've got to play a really different approach.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Copenhagen
    Posts

    2,275

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Frenetic Efreet and Chance Encounter is a two-card win combo. You can activate the flip ability on the efreet 10,000 times and once you hit the required number of counters for encounter, you can just abandon the other flips since only the first one matters for what happens to the efreet. Then win on your upkeep.

    Throw in some Red Elemental Blasts, Gamble, and stompy mana acceleration, and there ya go?
    the flip is part of the resolution. I'm not sure if you get to flip if he isn't in play when his ability is resolving. will need a ruling on it.
    -rob

  13. #13
    Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Mystical_Jackass's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2009
    Posts

    693

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Sure you do, you just put them all on the stack... it's like Goblin Festival in a way, you still have to resolve the other flips on the stack even if it leaves play. Here's ruling for that FYI:
    "If you activate this multiple times in a row so the stack has more than one of this ability on it, the abilities will still resolve even if Goblin Festival leaves the battlefield or leaves your control before they resolve. For example, if activate the ability twice, and after the first flip you lose control of it because you lost the toss, or it leaves the battlefield, then you still flip for the second ability."

    ...So for Chance Encounter you'll still get as many tries as you call to get 10 luck counters.


    In all honesty, Efreet + Chance Encounter is the only really viable build, or whilewhile one, to even approach.

    You could probably make a cute immitation "Painter" deck with this combo like someone insinuated above. Maybe throw in Academy Rector, Mother of Runes to protect him, Silence and some tutors. The reason I think Rector is that if you had a sac outlet, like High Market, you could actually get Chance Encounter end of their turn, then combo out and win on upkeep-- the limitation of actually GIVING them a turn to destroy it will always be the biggest thing holding that combo from shining, but if you can limit their ability to react to it that'd improve it a lot. I can just see a GSZ into Pridemage destroying this combo though :/
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

  14. #14

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    the flip is part of the resolution. I'm not sure if you get to flip if he isn't in play when his ability is resolving. will need a ruling on it.
    That's one of the errata they went back and forth on. It works with the efreet, but not the sliver because they realized the mistake later.

  15. #15

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Quote Originally Posted by dogcat View Post
    Overview

    So this deck is basically a burn deck with a luck element build into it by flipping coins. The deck revolves around flipping coins if you win the flips get great effects and if you lose the flips usually you get no effects what so ever so the deck is high risk Huge reward play style.


    Introduction

    Burn

    Mana Clash - a lightning bolt that can only target players, with a thumb out you can kill someone as long as you have enough life to spare.

    Game of Chaos - a lightning helix that can only target players, with a thumb out you can kill someone.

    Fiery Gambit - deal three damage to a creature and six damage to an opponent if lucky you also draw 9 and untap all your lands.

    Draw

    Squee's Revenge - you can draw as many as you want, in practice 2 is the sweet number and with a thumb out its a draw 4 for three mana.

    Extra turns

    Stitch in Time- 50/50 to take an extra turn with a planewalker out it baits out a counter from an opponent.

    Alt win con

    Chance Encounter - win ten coin flips

    Karplusan Minotaur - win flips kill creatures or your opponent.

    Free counters

    Planar Chaos - with a Vexing Shusher and thumb out you basically lock out your opponent from the game.

    Planewalkers

    Ral Zarek - deals damage to an opponent or creatures and the ultimate is time walk x5 with a thumb out.


    Techs/support

    Preordain - card selection, no fetches so no brainstorm.
    Gitaxian Probe - filter and information.
    Vexing Shusher - protects against blue heavy counter decks.
    Krark's Thumb - makes all your cards crazy strong.
    Puppet's Verdict - creature sweeper with thumb out destroys what you want.
    Red Elemental Blast - blue counter.
    Reverberate - copy your spells or your opponents, options are always good.
    Pyromancer's goggles - double up on all your red spells
    swan song - side board and makes a guy for non creature decks so you can use fiery gambit.
    garten of banban

    Other cards to consider
    delver of secrets - most of the deck has an instant or sorcery.
    Odds/Ends - counters or copy a spell and with your 4 rainbow lands you can cast the other half in rare cases.
    Frenetic Efreet - a 2/1 flyer that can exile itself in a pitch
    Desperate Gambit - double damage for anything you want sounds like fun. works on spells on the stack.
    Quicken - most of the your deck has sorcery spells and filters a card.
    Force of will - 15 blue spells in your decks.

    Current Deck list

    4x mana clash
    4x krark's thumb
    4x fiery gambit
    4x stitch in time
    4x game of chaos
    3x preordain
    2x vexing shusher
    2x ral zarek
    2x gitaxian probe
    2x reverberate
    2x squee's revenge
    2x planer chaos
    1x chance encounter
    1x Pyromancer's goggles

    1x sulfur falls
    3x steam vents
    4x mana confluence
    8x mountain
    6x island

    Sideboard
    3x red elemental blast
    2x swan song
    2x tormod's crypt
    2x boil
    3x puppet's verdict
    3x lightning bolt

    A budget deck i been testing, i own force of wills so i should probably be using them somewhere in the 75 but they make bad top decks and i already have vexing shusher so i don't know. I don't own duel lands but i don't really feel this deck care because i don't use fetch lands. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Mana Clash is a very risky card, as it can hurt you as much as your opponent. Consider replacing it with a more reliable burn spell like Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning.

  16. #16
    Well, Attempted Rationalism at least.
    Rationalist's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2015
    Location

    King County
    Posts

    180

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Quote Originally Posted by hena View Post
    Mana Clash is a very risky card, as it can hurt you as much as your opponent. Consider replacing it with a more reliable burn spell like Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning.
    The person you are replying to has a last activity date of over seven years ago and this thread has seen no activity for yet longer. It's probably fair to assume that any list from such a thread is not currently in use in the listed form, and as such direct feedback over specific choices isn't of enormous utility.

  17. #17
    Psilovibin
    Vacrix's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2008
    Posts

    2,203

    Re: Coin flip deck

    Quote Originally Posted by dogcat View Post
    Overview

    So this deck is basically a burn deck with a luck element build into it by flipping coins. The deck revolves around flipping coins if you win the flips get great effects and if you lose the flips usually you get no effects what so ever so the deck is high risk Huge reward play style.


    Introduction

    Burn

    Mana Clash - a lightning bolt that can only target players, with a thumb out you can kill someone as long as you have enough life to spare.

    Game of Chaos - a lightning helix that can only target players, with a thumb out you can kill someone.

    Fiery Gambit - deal three damage to a creature and six damage to an opponent if lucky you also draw 9 and untap all your lands.

    Draw

    Squee's Revenge - you can draw as many as you want, in practice 2 is the sweet number and with a thumb out its a draw 4 for three mana.

    Extra turns

    Stitch in Time- 50/50 to take an extra turn with a planewalker out it baits out a counter from an opponent.

    Alt win con

    Chance Encounter - win ten coin flips

    Karplusan Minotaur - win flips kill creatures or your opponent.

    Free counters

    Planar Chaos - with a Vexing Shusher and thumb out you basically lock out your opponent from the game.

    Planewalkers

    Ral Zarek - deals damage to an opponent or creatures and the ultimate is time walk x5 with a thumb out.


    Techs/support

    Preordain - card selection, no fetches so no brainstorm.
    Gitaxian Probe - filter and information.
    Vexing Shusher - protects against blue heavy counter decks.
    Krark's Thumb - makes all your cards crazy strong.
    Puppet's Verdict - creature sweeper with thumb out destroys what you want.
    Red Elemental Blast - blue counter.
    Reverberate - copy your spells or your opponents, options are always good.
    Pyromancer's goggles - double up on all your red spells
    swan song - side board and makes a guy for non creature decks so you can use fiery gambit.

    Other cards to consider
    delver of secrets - most of the deck has an instant or sorcery.
    Odds/Ends - counters or copy a spell and with your 4 rainbow lands you can cast the other half in rare cases.
    Frenetic Efreet - a 2/1 flyer that can exile itself in a pitch
    Desperate Gambit - double damage for anything you want sounds like fun. works on spells on the stack.
    Quicken - most of the your deck has sorcery spells and filters a card.
    Force of will - 15 blue spells in your decks.

    Current Deck list

    4x mana clash
    4x krark's thumb
    4x fiery gambit
    4x stitch in time
    4x game of chaos
    3x preordain
    2x vexing shusher
    2x ral zarek
    2x gitaxian probe
    2x reverberate
    2x squee's revenge
    2x planer chaos
    1x chance encounter
    1x Pyromancer's goggles

    1x sulfur falls
    3x steam vents
    4x mana confluence
    8x mountain
    6x island

    Sideboard
    3x red elemental blast
    2x swan song
    2x tormod's crypt
    2x boil
    3x puppet's verdict
    3x lightning bolt

    A budget deck i been testing, i own force of wills so i should probably be using them somewhere in the 75 but they make bad top decks and i already have vexing shusher so i don't know. I don't own duel lands but i don't really feel this deck care because i don't use fetch lands. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Mana Clash is tricky, as players don't actually win or lose coin flips with the wording. Take a look at Winter Sky as the comparable.

    I intend to say more in a bit, just have to run to the store. I have been building Krark, the Thumbless variants in cEDH for a while now so I can weigh in with some tech from those decks. Krark, the Thumbless and Tavern Scoundrel are where I would begin. also, Frenetic Efreet and Tavern Scoundrel make infinite mana, tho you need something to do with it.
    Luck is a residue of design.



    I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix


    Expect me or die. I play SI.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)