Thread: [Legacy Lessons] All about Flusterstorm

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

[Legacy Lessons] All about Flusterstorm

You. Yeah, you. You need to be playing more Flusterstorms.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: [Legacy Lessons] All about Flusterstorm

You missed a great opportunity to name it

"Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Flusterstorm* (*But Were Afraid to Ask)"

The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    You missed a great opportunity to name it

"Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Flusterstorm* (*But Were Afraid to Ask)"

Hehe, that'd have been a great name for sure! But I'm not really involved in the naming process. :)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Good article with some great points. You're definitely correct about people messing the card up, I have won a ton of games off of it. I used to play a ton of High Tide and Flusterstorm is positively degenerate in that deck. The best example I can think of is going into my combo turn with 5-6 lands, and casting High Tide (Force) in response High Tide (Force) in response Flusterstorm both of them. This play happened often and is one of the main reasons the deck's Delver matchup was actually pretty good.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

cool article. Your Lightning Bolt scenario was a great one that shows how wacky the card actually is. When you logic through it, it's very straightforward, but for some reason isn't very intuitive to most people.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Please get an editor. This article needs more anything.
    More words.
    More meaningful words (I think the Lightning Bolt war was about the only thing with any actual information in this article).
    More copy editing (a picture of Rest in Peace?...a card included in a substory that has nothing to do with anything)
    More proofreading. This paragraph, among others, is very difficult to read:
    First and foremost, the offensive stopping power of Flusterstorm is unparalleled in Legacy. And by offensive I mean the ability to stop opposing cards, given the card itself can be hit by Flusterstorm and poses the problem in itself. Prime examples of this would be Show and Tell and Entreat the Angels. These cards typically signal the end of the game, and an unfortunate at that, for you.
    Beyond that, the discussion of the finer points of Flusterstorm is interesting and your example with Lightning Bolt is fun. There just is not enough of this stuff or an entire article, and you were clearly straining to fill this one. What would be spiffy would be something about those nastiest cards to get burnt on in Legacy. Noobs and veterans alike could appreciate something like that. Getting outmaneuvered by Fluster is one.

Personally, I like sneaking an Engineered Explosives on the table to nab my opponent's Counterbalance and paying 4 for x just with only two colors.
    I'm also fond of sneaking Thalia onto the battlefield in response to a miracle trigger.
    Oh, and using a Sundial of the Infinite with City of Traitors.

There is so much more in there too.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

I like Snapcaster into Flusterstorm for + 1 storm! Its the little things...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

+1 to Finn's thoughts.

First off, generally speaking, if you find yourself using more than one comma in a sentence, then the sentence can be broken into multiple sentences, or is written poorly, and should be changed.

After you've written a sentence with multiple commas, re-read it without the portion between commas. Most times you can get your point across (and sound better) completely getting rid of the extra words/commas. Every time I read a sentence with unnecessary transition words I got the feeling you were getting paid by the word or had a minimum amount of words you had to reach in order for the article to get published. As you proof-read, pause for a full second at your comma. If the full second feels awkward it is probably a bad spot for the comma.

The underlined and italicized sentences that are centered are confusing and hurt my eyes and the flow of the piece.

They aren't titles to new sections because those are bold, blue, and left-side oriented. They appear like links to related stories that most online news articles throw in between paragraphs. If it's the point you were driving at in the preceding sentences, leave it as the closing line of the paragraph. If it is the beginning of a new series of thoughts, use it as the lead in sentence.

My comments are meant to be constructive as I enjoy the content you provide.

May 2011
    Noricum

Thank you very much for the feedback guys.

Things I am responsible for and will try to improve: Sentence length and commas. I'll work on it. Feel free to check back on it in a couple weeks/months time and let me know whether I improved. :)

For the editorial part, the titles, paragraphs and pictures: That's nothing I can personally influence, I'll forward this, though. Thanks again.

Greetings

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    First off, generally speaking, if you find yourself using more than one comma in a sentence, then the sentence can be broken into multiple sentences, or is written poorly, and should be changed.
    Says the man with five commas. ;)

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    A++ pun [commas making a point about commas], quite clever.

@Einherjer Good comparisons in the article, especially as far as pierce to flusterstorm goes. A spell that was perhaps missed here (if we're going to the point of discussing force spike or the UWx stoneblade 1x known as spell snare), was a quick discussion of Stubborn Denial. Now this spell is meaningless if you're either side of the spectrum of incorporating blue (i.e. not playing to win [miracles/stoneblade] or just won [emrakul]), but a number of decks find themselves able to turn it on (the more mainstream using griselbrand, tarmogoyf, tasigur/angler/mandrils) - specifically in cases where these decks don't use red mana. An underused counterspell to be sure, but the power level makes it worth talking about.

The more mainstream comparison missing is flusterstorm vs pyroblast/REB (I'm guessing you'd always advocate never cutting these effects for more flusterstorms, b/c one kills jace, and the other not so much?). I'd put forth that the 1 red mana is equivalent to the 1 blue since you're stretching into volcs purely for that purpose: the 1-mana counterspell. Besides the point to add flusters to the board, is the blast portion changing in miracles/stoneblade and in other decks using U+R?

edit: also swan song deserved some mention.

A weird story I heard from a friend was that someone tried to trick him into responding to a Flusterstorm's Storm trigger that was announced only for that reason (although it resolved automatically acc. to competitive rules) hoping that he would fire off his Flusterstorm too soon with the copies having no opposing copies to target. So watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Says the man with five commas. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    A++ pun [commas making a point about commas], quite clever.
    -------------

Good article, enjoyed it a lot!

Thread Information