Thread: Black Red Overrun?

Black Red Overrun?

So im playing this Grenzo deck and I sometimes end up with ALOT small utility creatures. I usually win with a weird combo but if the pieces dont line up I need another way to end the game.

Is there any Overrunish/Craterhoofish card in B or R? Best would be a creature with < 3 power that gives stats bonus and evasion... I dont play enogh goblins for tribal cards...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Re: Black Red Overrun?

The first thing that comes to mind is Insurrection. It's not exactly Overrun, but if you have a ton of little guys that can't swing due to large blockers it should help you get some damage in. You could also use something like Plague Wind or In Garruk's Wake to clear the way for your attackers.

Inner-Flame Igniter and Lavafume Invoker are pretty much as good as it gets for BR creatures with this effect for less than 3 power

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

The perfect finisher for you is Goblin Bombardment with Vicious Shadows, I'd run a Boris Devilboon wennie deck before and I had the same thing where I have a lot of weenie creatures. Like someone said, Insurrection can crush on its own but then sac them all off to Bombardment to take out another player, I can't say enough about Bombardment it's one of the best enchantments in EDH to have.

Also, Din of the Fireherd is pretty brutal as well, it's not uncommon in my B/R to make a player sac all their creatures and like 5-10 lands. On that note, Curse of the Cabal doesn't go hand-in-hand with your creatures but it'll generally make somebody scoop... just hardcast it late game after a board clear, generally they'll count all their lands, think about it, then scoop up lol.
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

They don't have quite as massive an effect as Overrun or Craterhoof but there's a bunch of Black and Red cards that grant +2/+0 at instant speed.

Ashenmoor Liege pumps red creatures for +1/+1 and black creatures for +1/+1 (so your black/red creatures get +2/+2 obvs)

Purphoros, God of the Forge pumps your team for for +1/+0 on a stick, might be okay

If they aren't all just 1 power dudes you might get mileage out of Berserkers' Onslaught

...otherwise there is stuff like Akroma's Memorial or Eldrazi Monument for general purpose buffing of an angry horde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Goblin War Drums gives a sort-of evasion. It's been reworded to "Creatures you control have menace." Plus there are 4 arts/text to choose from. I'm partial towards this one because of the cool ass quote.

He doesn't provide evasion, but Marton Stromgald gives you a multiplicative Craterhoof Behemoth pump effect with stats that work wonderfully with Grenzo. If you can find a way to give your team haste, trample, flying, etc. he can dish out a huge amount of damage very quickly.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    He doesn't provide evasion, but Marton Stromgald gives you a multiplicative Craterhoof Behemoth pump effect with stats that work wonderfully with Grenzo. If you can find a way to give your team haste, trample, flying, etc. he can dish out a huge amount of damage very quickly.
    I think this is the card i was trying to find and couldn't. This with one of Red's countless "give your stuff haste" effects would be pretty rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I think this is the card i was trying to find and couldn't. This with one of Red's countless "give your stuff haste" effects would be pretty rad.
    I mean, he's fun and it's rewarding to watch people read the wall of text a few times while nervously glancing at you like the heady motherfucker you are, but lack of trample is a huge detriment. Marton is also quite fragile as he doesn't pump himself. The only times I've gotten him to work well was when I essentially built my own Craterhoof with a combination of cards to like Archetype of Aggression and Eldrazi Monument.

I will say the Marton Stromgald deck with haste enablers and multiple combat phase tricks is a blast to play at casual tables. People get mad when you knock them out of the game, but weirdly less so when you're hitting for 800 damage.

Nov 2010
    Japan

The first card I thought of was Torrent of Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Namida View Post
    The first card I thought of was Torrent of Souls.
    Thx Marton seems perfect!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Thread Information