Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadows over Innistrad

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Shadows over Innistrad

So Shadows is starting early, with some of the cards already leaked online. I am not going to post the card images here (because that seems dumb) but there are some mechanics to look at:

Investigate (Keyword on some spells):
    Put a colourless artifact on the table with (2), Sac: Draw a card.

Delirium:
    If you have four or more card types in your Graveyard; Kicker.

Madness:
    You know what this does.

Flip cards are back, the flip Token has 24 spaces on it.

Most interesting card I saw was Envelop with an Extraction effect (of countered spell) tacked on if you have Delirium.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Re: Shadows over Innistrad

yay, +1 for Madness. One of my favourite mechanics of all time. I hope they print some good enablers.

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

please don't post card images its dumb
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Edit #2: Spoiled cards so far in more readable text form

Invasive Surgery

Seems like a major "Fuck you" to any sorcery-based combo. Great sideboard card.

Story-wise, Nahiri is back and she's mad as hell about the whole Eldrazi ruining Zendikar thing, thus she went to Innistrad to get back at Sorin.

Edit: Delirium seems like it has alot of potential. It's basically "Tarmogoyf: The mechanic" and we all know damn well how fast a Goyf can grow to 4/5 even without the help of an opponent.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Invasive Surgery

Story-wise, Nahiri is back and she's mad as hell about the whole Eldrazi ruining Zendikar thing, thus she went to Innistrad to get back at Sorin.

Edit: Delirium seems like it has alot of potential. It's basically "Tarmogoyf: The mechanic" and we all know damn well how fast a Goyf can grow to 4/5 even without the help of an opponent.
    Yeah, the fact that it exile the countered spell make it good already, but extract effect too? Sick card for anti-combo. Probably printed to give Modern some strong anti-combo permission since FoW ain't there, but i can see this easily being played in legacy too.

Counter and exile all terminuses/entreats vs miracle.
    Counter/exile all infernal tutors vs storm.
    extract all visions vs BUG all SnT? Pretty good too.

The only thing i don't like is the trigger condition making this basically a card only for tempo decks basically.

I don't understand also the artifact mechanic.

EDIT: ok saw the spoilers.
    The other cards are also somewhat interesting:

2GG
    Flash
    You can discard a land from hand as this ETB, if you do, put a 2/2 wolf in play.
    4/3

I like this a lot, flash 6 power on the board for 2GG. Probably not legacy playable but i like multiple body creatures in general, plus land discarding can be a plus in some decks.

Expose Evil 1W
    Instant
    Tap up to two target creatures
    Investigate (put an artifact token OTB with 2, sac: draw a card).

This is basically post-cycling for spells. This card isn't good, but the mechanic could be cute for some decks, especially Red-based ones with artifact swap effects, affinity, plus things that care about sacrifices.

Dance with the Devils 3R
    Instant
    Put two 1/1 devils OTB with "when this die, deal 1 damage to any target"

This is a cute combat trick + value. Can killblock a 4/4, or multiple smaller weenies. Limited bomb probably (it's uncommon for a reason i guess).

Watcher of the web 4G
    Reach
    Can block up to 7 additional creatures
    2/5

Pretty fun spider i guess :D

Structural Distortion 3R
    Sorcery
    Exile target artifact or land, deal 2 to the controller.

A little pushback on land destruction power level? Crumble to dust remain probably still the best non-basic land hoser, but this is interesting as it's essentially pillage that exile and deal 2 for 1 more. Could see even standard play i think.

A flip green creature too. Flip cards are horrible but i like their implication in the gameplay as they fit really well in prison archetypes. Can't wait for the new blue broken flip card! Jokes aside maybe this time we get actually good non-blue flip creatures.

Fiery Temper got reprinted.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    I don't understand also the artifact mechanic.
    It gives you a delayed cantrip effect in artifact form that costs . Maybe there's synergy with sac permanent effects or cross-block synergy with the next block, assuming it's artifact-based.

As it stands, it's a really weird mechanic.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Builder for 2G, 2/3 or 3/3 and may return a land card from your graveyard to hand upon entering the battlefield.

This is a really interesting card. If we get some good return land cards , and i guess we will since there's a "discard land" theme, mox diamond decks could get much stronger, and again, fetches BOHOO. This is essentially a 3/3 for 2G that return a fetch/wasteland to your hand. It's already borderline playable and it's a common. I know witness exist but this is tomb-mox castable.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Really cool stuff so far. I love investigate, and delirium is obviously rather easy to achieve. New Envelop is going to hurt combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Builder for 2G, 2/3 or 3/3 and may return a land card from your graveyard to hand upon entering the battlefield.

This is a really interesting card. If we get some good return land cards , and i guess we will since there's a "discard land" theme, mox diamond decks could get much stronger, and again, fetches BOHOO. This is essentially a 3/3 for 2G that return a fetch/wasteland to your hand. It's already borderline playable and it's a common. I know witness exist but this is tomb-mox castable.
    I think this guy is a 2/3. I don't think it's that playable (unless other stuff comes to support it). We already have Cartographer.

Also, Skulk is a new evasion mechanic:

we think there is a blue creature with casting cost 1U, P/T 2/1, and the text "Skulk (This creature can't be blocked by creatures with greater power.)"

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Really cool stuff so far. I love investigate, and delirium is obviously rather easy to achieve. New Envelop is going to hurt combo.

I think this guy is a 2/3. I don't think it's that playable (unless other stuff comes to support it). We already have Cartographer.

Also, Skulk is a new evasion mechanic:
    Damn in the original madness block too. I guess it's worse than i thought, i really wanted this to be good. Harvest Wurm that can return anything wotc PLZ

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Holy crap are you trying to get us all banned?

Jul 2013
    Texas

New cards look promising.

I think since we've seen 2 new mechanics + Madness that Flashback is not in the set and a snapcaster reprint is not happening.

Liliana of the Veil is an interesting one since it works so well with madness, but they tend to use PWs to advance the story and I think she's old news. I am excited for new madness cards though to play with my Lili set in Modern.

Kind of funny that they essentially made a new threshold that's even more of a pain to keep track of.

One thing I hope we see: A punisher for colorless cards. Nahiri seems pissed and this could be a white ability. And I have serious Eldrazi fatigue.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    New cards look promising.

I think since we've seen 2 new mechanics + Madness that Flashback is not in the set and a snapcaster reprint is not happening.

Liliana of the Veil is an interesting one since it works so well with madness, but they tend to use PWs to advance the story and I think she's old news. I am excited for new madness cards though to play with my Lili set in Modern.

Kind of funny that they essentially made a new threshold that's even more of a pain to keep track of.

One thing I hope we see: A punisher for colorless cards. Nahiri seems pissed and this could be a white ability. And I have serious Eldrazi fatigue.
    They just wrote an article yesterday that Liliana of the Veil was too powerful for current Standard, despite not dominating the first time.

Her new PW incarnation might as well have a discard ability, like Liliana, Heretical Healer.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Edit #2: Spoiled cards so far in more readable text form

Invasive Surgery

Invasive Surgery looks as a solid sideboard card. See ya later Show and Tell....

Dead Weight is also interesting. Replaces Disfigure, can be applied to a little more scenario's and feeds Goyf.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Mar 2013

Just saw higher quality pics. Skulk is indeed a thing, there are 24 flip cards confirmed and Delver is not among them. (I don't think there are any flip reprints but I don't remember all the old names.)
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Just saw higher quality pics. Skulk is indeed a thing, there are 24 flip cards confirmed and Delver is not among them. (I don't think there are any flip reprints but I don't remember all the old names.)
    No there are more i think, because the card is CH1.

Dead weight is a reprint from INN

Mar 2013

Dead Weight? Can't see it anywhere.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Dead Weight? Can't see it anywhere.
    It is on salvation. Dead Weight, costs B, Enchant creature - gets -2/-2
    4c Aggro Loam

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Invasive Surgery looks as a solid sideboard card. See ya later Show and Tell....
    That card is borderline maindeckable as a 1-of in some Delver shells, and completely changes Delver's relationship with cards like Terminus postboard. I've Enveloped a Ponder more than once, and taking all of someone's Ponders in the Delver mirror is far from terrible. Loam? Ancestral Vision ? Sign me up.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    It is on salvation. Dead Weight, costs B, Enchant creature - gets -2/-2
    Ok. But that's not a flip card. I was saying that none of the flips looked to be reprints.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Ok. But that's not a flip card. I was saying that none of the flips looked to be reprints.
    I never said it was a flip card. I just see some use for that card over Disfigure and feeds Goyf. But only to find that i get pointed towards the fact that it is a reprint...
    4c Aggro Loam

Thread Information