Thread: A better Pauper format, All cards averaging under $2.50 announcement day are legal!

A better Pauper format, All cards averaging under $2.50 announcement day are legal!

The ban list would be updated once every 3 months at the exact same time as the official quarterly ban announcements. Cards that average more than $2.50 (on magictraders.org) at midnight of the prerelease of each new set are the only cards that are banned in the format, and that ban list would stay unchanged until the next quarter.

In the format I am proposing, people would be allowed to play 4 copies of every single card of which a playset costs $10 or less. This price is the only criteria for bannings, everything else is allowed, even unglued and portal cards! Just that one single criteria alone would be enough to keep all manual dexterity cards, broken cards, and betting cards out of the format. It would be a much better defined criteria for legality than Pauper and achieve what Pauper sets out to achieve more effectively.

Could such a format succeed. I think it would lead to the richest most diverse pool of viable decks that has ever been possible in any format thus far in Magic history. So called staples like FoW, Goyfs, Stoneforges etc that everyone has to go out and get are cut out of the format in favor of fairly costed cards that currently don't see any play despite being strong.

I wonder if a format described above could solve all the monetary barriers holding back magic while also avoiding arguments about bannings and unbannings. It would be what pauper was supposed to be all while allowing thousands of rares and mythics into the format.

Re: A better Pauper format, All cards averaging under $2.50 announcement day are lega

Some folks locally ran something like this they called "$5 Format" where cards less that $5 TCG Mid (any version) were legal. It was quite fun on the chances I had to play it.

$2.50 also seems like a fine cut off point.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Re: A better Pauper format, All cards averaging under $2.50 announcement day are lega

Thread moved to Community.

Also FWIW, you might want to consider using a price guide other than MOTL considering it hasn't been updated in years...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I like the idea, except for the Un-sets, as the Un-cards are totally retarded.
    I think that this would be really nice format especially considering that we won't seeing a lot of the same stuff (contrary to all other constructed formats). This might be a natural home for some Mystic Enforcer deck.
    Otoh, we already got a bit similar format and it's played in most lgs over the globe. It's called casual and it's often played by people less devoted to Magic.

Yeah ok. The unsets can stay banned.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Some folks locally ran something like this they called "$5 Format" where cards less that $5 TCG Mid (any version) were legal. It was quite fun on the chances I had to play it.

$2.50 also seems like a fine cut off point.
    TCG Player median price sounds like a better price guide to use.

The $5 cut off point could have worked except that there's a bunch of overpowered cards like Tinker, Necropotence and Sol Ring that cost more than $2.50 but less than $5. I think the format would be better if those cards don't make the cut off so that the format supported fairer strategies than Lotus Petal, Land, Sol Ring, Tinker, Darksteel Collassus on turn one.

From my research, a $2-$2.50 cut off nixes all the broken cards out of the format automatically, where as a higher cut off price doesn't.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Didn't someone also propose a format where your whole deck, including lands, had to come in under $20 or something?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Didn't someone also propose a format where your whole deck, including lands, had to come in under $20 or something?
    I believe there was more than a proposal, but the dude told that their community already started. Or maybe it was a family issue, idk now.
    The $20 solution might be bad, as it could degenerate into "$19 kill, $1 fillings foramt". Maybe...

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Going by announcement day seems alright. I think the main issue has always been that prices fluctuate so often it's hard to pin down what's legal. It'd likely be best to have something generate a legal list for Year 20XX at the beginning of the year, and let the prices go crazy for a year, before regenning the list.

My issue with the price stuff has long been that if you made a cool deck and the price changed on the wrong card, it stops being legal. If it's legal for a year, I get to enjoy it for awhile before it is forced out; but it may well be cheap again the following year, allowing it to re-legalize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    Going by announcement day seems alright. I think the main issue has always been that prices fluctuate so often it's hard to pin down what's legal. It'd likely be best to have something generate a legal list for Year 20XX at the beginning of the year, and let the prices go crazy for a year, before regenning the list.

My issue with the price stuff has long been that if you made a cool deck and the price changed on the wrong card, it stops being legal. If it's legal for a year, I get to enjoy it for awhile before it is forced out; but it may well be cheap again the following year, allowing it to re-legalize.
    That's a fair point. I still think announcement day works best because by then the new sets cards also have a preorder price assigned so each new sets cards enter the format with each set release. It would suck if you had to wait till next year to play with cards released in new sets. But one way to fix that could be to have the new sets card prices be locked in on announcement day where as all other card prices get locked in once an year, on Jan 1st. But it sounds cumbersome. The format shifting each time a new set releases is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I believe there was more than a proposal, but the dude told that their community already started. Or maybe it was a family issue, idk now.
    The $20 solution might be bad, as it could degenerate into "$19 kill, $1 fillings foramt". Maybe...
    Exactly. Plus it doesn't allow for one defined banned list that anyone can reference. You would have to verify every deck to make sure it's eligible rather than just having a list of cards that no one is allowed to play. What I am proposing here is more elegant.

This is really stupid. No, no, no.

Thread Information