Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GP Columbus, worth a trip?

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

GP Columbus, worth a trip?

The week before the legacy GP in Columbus (10-12 June) I will be travelling to Canada for work (coming from Denmark). I'm considering booking a flight and joining the GP that weekend, but I have no experience with such trips whatsoever. I'm interested in hearing other peoples opinions and experiences about similar travels (e.g. overseas GPs). Is it considered worth the money? It will be a rather expensive trip for playing 'just' a weekend of magic. I have no illusions of really winning anything significant so it's not like I aim to come out with a net benefit on my bank account. Another thing is that I will be travelling alone. Having noone to relax with in-between rounds, having a chat etc. might be really boring over a full day. I always enjoy going to larger magic events like GPs with a couple of friends near Amsterdam but now that isn't really an option. Are there any other players here from the source planning on going? I'd like to do some playtesting etc. before the main event, so I'd be great to meet up with some people on the Friday. Have other members here just been going to an event by themselves? How was that experience? Any comments/suggestions/whatnot is welcome! It might be a bit in advance, but I need to book the tickets for work asap and I'd like to get the trip in Columbus included if I do :).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Re: GP Columbus, worth a trip?

I am sure that many players here will be attending GP Columbus.

It is also right when EMA is released so you can get in on a lot of drafts (which will be at MSRP still).

I don;t know your money situation, but I am not going to miss it :)

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    I will be travelling alone.
    I've traveled overseas to both US GPs (New Jersey and Seattle (Tacoma)) in the past two years. New Jersey was especially awesome, as it qualified me for PT Washington D.C., which led to another US trip that included SCG Indianapolis, followed by the PT.

Even though I traveled alone, the whole experience was simply awesome. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it, and I'm very sad that I will miss this year's US Legacy GP (but I'd rather drive to Prague with the Berlin Legacy crew).
    Twitter: @JPAnghelescu

Travelling to a GP is one of those things that everyone has to do at least once in their life, I think.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Thanks for the replies! You guys pretty much convinced me, just need to figure out the schedules. I have been to the legacy GP in Amsterdam and some other GPs and large events, so it's not that I haven't experienced it at all, just not as part of a trip somewhere.
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

One thing that's worth noting: This event is being run by Professional Events Services (also known as PES)

They've got kind of a bad reputation and it's gotten worse for their last two events.

At GP Detroit last weekend:
    Refusing a refund escalates to battery on a player: https://redd.it/494o1o
    An open letter full of general complaints: https://redd.it/49e2es

At GP Pittsburgh:
    Side events firing extremely late, some not at all, including events that they took pre-reg for: https://redd.it/3tqfws
    General complaints: https://redd.it/3ty42f
    More complaints in that weekend's premiere event thread: https://redd.it/3tjlj2

All of these links also contain additional complaints in the comments.

It's also pretty weak, IMO, that This is the current official website for an event taking place just over 3 months from now

There's a fair number of players on Twitter who have decided to skip the GP in favor of either Eternal Weekend or Eternal Extravaganza.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I was about to give you crap for giving them crap over the appearance of a website, but holy shit that's weak.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I was about to give you crap for giving them crap over the appearance of a website, but holy shit that's weak.
    If you want to see something weaker, go try to find that website yourself.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

At what point will we be able to register for this GP, you think?

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    At what point will we be able to register for this GP, you think?
    Judging by the information at hand, it's looking like June 10th with a 63% rate of success.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Did they use angelfire free or premium?

This open letter regarding PES as the Tournament Organizer has explained it all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...event_services

There's a fair number of players on Twitter who have decided to skip the GP in favor of either Eternal Weekend or Eternal Extravaganza.
    I am having trouble finding the info for 2016 Eternal Weekend. Do you have a link or know of dates? We are considering the same decision of Columbus/EE.

Bryant Cook

I'm doing Columbus and EE4, so should everyone else. Support your format.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    This basically ^

You Americans and Euros (so basically this entire forum) have no idea how good you have it. 70 something players from all around Australia flew down to Melbourne just to play in two Legacy side events at the modern GP we had on last weekend. 5 rounds, no cut to top 8. Prizes were essentially booster packs/boxes and GP T-shirts.

To have access to events like these would be a dream come true for pretty much all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

What this man said.

There are too few of these to skip any!@

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bryant cook View Post
    i'm doing columbus and ee4, so should everyone else. Support your format.
    yes.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Did they use angelfire free or premium?
    I just checked and they're using HostGator. I have so many thoughts about that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Polishguy00 View Post
    I am having trouble finding the info for 2016 Eternal Weekend. Do you have a link or know of dates? We are considering the same decision of Columbus/EE.
    It hasn't been posted yet. From what I understand, the TO is still waiting on WotC to give them a date. I'd appreciate it if he'd at least say that rather than having his site show the 2015 info :/

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    You Americans and Euros (so basically this entire forum) have no idea how good you have it. 70 something players from all around Australia flew down to Melbourne just to play in two Legacy side events at the modern GP we had on last weekend. 5 rounds, no cut to top 8. Prizes were essentially booster packs/boxes and GP T-shirts.

To have access to events like these would be a dream come true for pretty much all of us.
    Just because your events suck doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to make ours better.

I think that's exactly the idea here. Support the format by still going to the high-level events (EE and EW) while making a statement that we don't want companies like PES screwing up our rare opportunities to play in that sort of event.

~~~End responding to quotes~~~'

FWIW, my decision on GP Columbus vs Eternal Weekend was decided by "Hey self, would you rather spend a weekend in Columbus, Ohio or in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania?"

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

"Hey self, would you rather spend a weekend in Columbus, Ohio or in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania?"
    "nnn-neither."

Bryant Cook

I think that's exactly the idea here. Support the format by still going to the high-level events (EE and EW) while making a statement that we don't want companies like PES screwing up our rare opportunities to play in that sort of event.
    Not going to Columbus doesn't show Wizards you don't support PES. It shows that you don't support Legacy. The big factor on future events will be the turnout, not who ran it.

Thread Information