Thread: Do we have a pauper thread?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Are there any pauper players on this site?

I really hate going over to salvation for pauper discussion.
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 03-26-2016 at 02:46 PM.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Re: Do we have a pauper thread?

I have not seen one on this site although I wish there was a place for Pauper decks here. Especially eternal paper Pauper because there really isn't a good forum on the internet discussing updated decklists and new tech. Is there a way to request adding a Pauper section?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

There is, but how much use do you really think it will get?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Honestly, I have no idea. Just taking a casual look around the internet at other forums devoted to discussing Pauper in its many forms shows that there isn't a whole lot of activity. Obviously, that doesn't bode well for anything picking up steam here.

Furthermore, Pauper is pretty much only a format due to there being so many online events that fire for it (although, less so due to recent Wizards policy changes). I can't really recall brick and mortars stores I've visited even entertaining the idea of running events.

I will put my two cents in and say that Paper Pauper is a deep and rewarding format to play and seems to fit right in line with the ideology here at The Source for enabling high-level discussion of deck and card choices for games. Even more so with the card pool available to those who choose to play with real cards.

If it helps, I have a number of Pauper decks built that I regularly play with friends and have a good deal of experience with this format. Obviously, there needs to be interest, but given enough time, I can put together primers to provide a spot to discuss decklists.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    If it helps, I have a number of Pauper decks built that I regularly play with friends and have a good deal of experience with this format. Obviously, there needs to be interest, but given enough time, I can put together primers to provide a spot to discuss decklists.
    I'd be interested.

Much appreciated! I think in order to have a chance at a Pauper Section, we would need to garner the attention of the "higher ups" on the site. So tell your friends, tell your family! Let's see if we can generate some buzz.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Much appreciated! I think in order to have a chance at a Pauper Section, we would need to garner the attention of the "higher ups" on the site. So tell your friends, tell your family! Let's see if we can generate some buzz.
    I'll second the buzz.

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

I'll third the buzz.

I've actually started putting together a battle box of Paper Pauper decks (with no banlist) to play with friends. Every once in awhile we get tired of jamming Legacy, Cube and Vintage so this seemed like a fun and quirky format to try.

Does anyone here have any experience playing Paper Pauper with no ban list?

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Fortune View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience playing Paper Pauper with no ban list?
    Paper Pauper has no ban list and that's all I play. There are some extremely high-powered cards but I've found that tight play and a little luck can swing the games in your favor. There are obviously cards that demand to be built around, but the format is oddly balanced. 8-Post is probably the best deck in the format, but it is also the most difficult to play correctly 100% of the time.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Paper Pauper has no ban list and that's all I play. There are some extremely high-powered cards but I've found that tight play and a little luck can swing the games in your favor. There are obviously cards that demand to be built around, but the format is oddly balanced. 8-Post is probably the best deck in the format, but it is also the most difficult to play correctly 100% of the time.
    Isn't high tide with temporal fissure easily the best deck in a no ban list format? Just get to play the best commons in blue... High tide, frantic search, merchant scroll, ghostly flicker, cloud of fairies..... Mnemonic wall thrown in for fun?

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Isn't high tide with temporal fissure easily the best deck in a no ban list format? Just get to play the best commons in blue... High tide, frantic search, merchant scroll, ghostly flicker, cloud of fairies..... Mnemonic wall thrown in for fun?
    Yes and no. The deck is extremely strong and resilient, but it is slow compared to some of the other decks in the format. Also, with Sinkhole and Hymn to Tourach legal, there is more opposition to fight through. In order to combat resource denial, you must slow down and become more resilient. In order to fight against Storm and fast aggro like Goblins, you have to streamline and increase the speed of the deck. It's difficult to strike a good balance.

8-Post has cards that are live at every point in the game making it much more consistent. It also gets to take advantage of the Mnemonic Wall/Ghostly Flicker engine, just not with endless amounts of mana (close, though). Honestly, I thought Temporal Fissure was going to be the best deck in the format, and it's really good, but there is quite a bit of competition.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Yes and no. The deck is extremely strong and resilient, but it is slow compared to some of the other decks in the format. Also, with Sinkhole and Hymn to Tourach legal, there is more opposition to fight through. In order to combat resource denial, you must slow down and become more resilient. In order to fight against Storm and fast aggro like Goblins, you have to streamline and increase the speed of the deck. It's difficult to strike a good balance.

8-Post has cards that are live at every point in the game making it much more consistent. It also gets to take advantage of the Mnemonic Wall/Ghostly Flicker engine, just not with endless amounts of mana (close, though). Honestly, I thought Temporal Fissure was going to be the best deck in the format, and it's really good, but there is quite a bit of competition.
    Cloud of fairies and cloud post combo decks use lands that come into play tapped and/or Karoo lands to go off. I can't see how that is more stable than basic islands with access to frantic search. I will play high tide against any gauntlet you can make and we can track the results.

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Cloud of fairies and cloud post combo decks use lands that come into play tapped and/or Karoo lands to go off. I can't see how that is more stable than basic islands with access to frantic search. I will play high tide against any gauntlet you can make and we can track the results.
    Do you have a decklist? I'm curious to see how streamlined your list is. And yes! I'm looking to assemble the 16 most powerful decks (two 800 count boxes) in the format at any given time. I figured Esper Temporal Fissure was the best version of that deck because it feels more consistent, but perhaps High Tide is just strictly better due to speed. Either way, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

The format is paper pauper with no banned list, right?

With:

Treasure Cruise
    Cloudpost
    Cranial Plating
    Empty the Warrens
    Frantic Search
    Grapeshot
    Invigorate
    Temporal Fissure
    Cloud of Faeries

Being the current online banned list it is obvious that combo is going to be way too fast for any non affinity aggro deck. Affinity gets cranial plating and kills on turn 4, High tide gets cloud of faeries, frantic search, treasure cruise and temporal fissure and kills on turn 3. The pauper perfect storm gets to be a deck again and kills on turn 3. Nothing else is fast enough to outrace the combo decks so decks will be forced to run heavy disruption.

So your format would be:

Combo:
    High Tide
    Pauper Perfect Storm

Aggro:
    Affinity

Control:
    Delver/Faeries
    Mono Black Dark Ritual and Hymn and Stuff

Nothing else would be viable as it would just lose to the swarms of combo decks that would be everywhere.

I think the current pauper format is mostly balanced, aggro might be a little too powerful but all 3 archetypes are represented on a regular basis.

Aggro:
    Stompy
    Goblins
    Elves
    Affinity
    White Weenie

Combo:
    Izzet Blitz
    Reanimator
    Boggles
    Infect

Control:
    Tron and Variants
    Delver
    Boros Kitty/Variants
    Teachings
    MBC

In addition to a strong tier 2/3 with fan favorites such as reanimator, Rock Variants, RG Aggro, Madness Variants and pretty much anything else you would like to see. If I was building 16 pauper decks I would chose the current format over a non banned list anyday.

Thread Information