Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legacy Eggs

Re: Legacy Eggs

Oh, sweet Omelette du fromage, where art thou, I miss you so much in modern (.. said noone ever)

So, no protection is how we roll these days? Not even pacts of negation maybe, or even (better?) defense grids?

Would not Paradoxical Outcome find a spot in this deck?

First, I'm not playing magic competitively at this time, sadly =<
    And for a couple technical reasons, I am unable to use my copy of cockatrice to play online.
    Sooooo I'm not going to be very up to date on matchups or meta. Was just dropping the list for the benefit of those trying to make it work. The list I dropped DOES make better use of Legacy's cardpool than most jumping in with ideas ported from modern, due to my history with the deck (been playing eggs in every format it could be played in, as far back as the introduction of second sunrise to the pile).

That being said...

Darkenslight:

The implements are nice and all, but I don't think they'll find a home in any list that doesn't also play helm or KCI, to start. And even then, it's 1 damage to pyrites 2 is possibly too crucial to be a good replacement.
    Modern seems like a better home for it. Oh, and requiring red mana kinda sucks, too.

Mr. Miagi:

Yo, I think I remember you. Not sure what to say, honestly. Pacts would work, I guess. Just go -1 noxious revival, -1 skycloud egg, -1 tinder wall, -1 sungrass egg, +4 pact.
    I don't remember doing that ever being enough by itself to make blue tempo decks any more survivable, but there you have it. Likely, you are giving up consistency of turn 2 wins, so I'll let you do the math of how that gets hairy with the faster aggro decks.

Rocco111:

Pretty sure playing that card requires running the helm version of the deck. Though I gotta admit, having Hurkyl's Recall and Vedalken Archmage in a single card sounds hilarious. CMC might bite you in the ass, but dang if that aint a swing. Just gotta figure out how to build around it.

I might actually try that, now that I think about it.

edit - turn 1 tomb, helm. turn 2 land, drop free artifacts, filter for blue, cast paradoxical outcome -> profit. Could work *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    The wonders of the information age: the pressure of two small plastic keys can convincingly emulate a savant's memorization ability.
    "It's like Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex (and Lava Dart watched)" - Pinder, on stifled fetchlands.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Reanimateing this thread, simply due to the idea that there are more tools available than ever to make a fast artifact-based combo deck work. Most importantly is Mox Opal, which can effectively give the added mana boost to make the deck fast enough (possibly) to compete. We really can't play LED because of the discard clause, but having another 3-4 mana rocks with Opals seems like a step in the right direction. Helm of Awakening is an interesting choice, with the typical drawbacks of that old technology, that allows for really busted turns and avoiding the need for Dark Ritual. The other card other than Mox Opal that made me want to revisit the idea is Paradoxical Outcome. I think in many cases it will be better than Faith's Reward, especially if it draws at least 4 cards every time it's cast.

Is it janky? Oh yeah? Is it possible? Definitely. Is it good? Let's not get crazy here...but I need a new project and this is a pet deck of mine from back in the day.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Reanimateing this thread,...Paradoxical Outcome
    I've wondered about Mox Amber with Kinnan and Emry, but it probably needs one or two more legends.

I think that Pardoxical Outcome and Second Sunrise/Faith's Reward want to be in different decks since one wants artifacts that sacrifice so they can come back, and the other wants artifacts that stick around so they can be bounced for value.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I was also thinking that Monastery Mentor out of the sideboard would be pretty good tech, making a massive army pretty quickly. Wishclaw Talisman is another artifact with big potential that also feeds artifact synergies. I liked the idea of playing Talisman with Reshape, but the timing doesn't work. Reshape is a sacrifice effect at sorcery speed, I activate Talisman to search but then it isn't available to sacrifice with Reshape. Bummer, that would be pretty epic. It's still decent at creating a good setup that doesn't require an all-in combo turn, basically it can spread it out over a couple turns.

EDIT: playing a Crop Rotation package with Lotus Vale could be pretty decent as well, as that is a win condition with Cephalid Coliseum in some lists. It requires 3 whole land drops, which is asking a lot considering the upper limit of lands I want to play is around 14.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I was also thinking that Monastery Mentor out of the sideboard would be pretty good tech, making a massive army pretty quickly. Wishclaw Talisman is another artifact with big potential that also feeds artifact synergies. I liked the idea of playing Talisman with Reshape, but the timing doesn't work. Reshape is a sacrifice effect at sorcery speed, I activate Talisman to search but then it isn't available to sacrifice with Reshape. Bummer, that would be pretty epic. It's still decent at creating a good setup that doesn't require an all-in combo turn, basically it can spread it out over a couple turns.

EDIT: playing a Crop Rotation package with Lotus Vale could be pretty decent as well, as that is a win condition with Cephalid Coliseum in some lists. It requires 3 whole land drops, which is asking a lot considering the upper limit of lands I want to play is around 14.
    You can do it with our lord and savior of slow combo T3feri.
    Also, Cosmic Intervention?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think Cosmic Intervention is slightly weaker than Faith's Reward, simply because coming back at EOT is definitely worse than immediately. I like that you can prepay for it, making setup turns pretty good, but I don't think this deck can afford more than 2 setup turns. I think it has to be t1-2 Helm, go for it. The slower setups would be when a Silence is needed to prevent interaction for the turn.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information