Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldritch Moon spoilers inbound

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Eldritch Moon spoilers inbound

Emrakul, the Promised End

Legendary Creature - Eldrazi

THIS costs less to cast for each card type among cards in your graveyard.

When you cast THIS, gain control of target opponent during their next turn. After that turn, that player takes an additional turn.

Flying, trample, protection from instants

13/13

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Re: Eldritch Moon spoilers inbound

Id say useless card, in legacy i can only see it as a reanimation target played instead of inkweel (but being soft to karakas isnt cool).

Maybe it can be good in modern tron, dont really know about that.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

May 2015
    PDX

Not gonna lie, if I take control of my opponent's next turn.....there's a 100% chance I'm going to have them forget their extra turn trigger.
    Not a huge fan of the stats on it; looks like the cost can go down to 5 so Oath of Nissa goes up in price for standard I guess. The protection from instants combined with opportunity to hit their sorc-speed removal is interesting.

Apr 2011
    Germany

Boring! Eldrazi already again! :(
    But we basically all knew what was coming.
    I just hope WotC found a way in the story to save Innistrad in the end _without_ killing Emrakul! :/

The design of the Emrakul card seems reasonable. Sorceries work against him/it/her! (And colorless Instants don't work anymore.) And WotC found an interesting twist of "cast trigger extra turn".

Storywise from the trailer I don't quite get if Liliana is fighting with or against Emrakul. Both options don't make much sense (you can't ally with Emrakul and Zombies don't stand a chance against Emrakul no matter how many). But she seems to be interested in getting Innistrad under her control.

I wonder how many Eldrazi cards will be in Eldritch Moon. Hopefully not that many considering Emrakul just arrived. #EldraziUntilYouPuke

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I don't get the cast trigger design-wise. What's the point of giving your opponent a free Time Walk to rebuild after you just Mindslaver'ed their ass back into the stone age?

Overall, pretty disappointed by the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I don't get the cast trigger design-wise. What's the point of giving your opponent a free Time Walk to rebuild after you just Mindslaver'ed their ass back into the stone age?...
    Probably to prevent slaver loops. Naively, that ability seems really weak.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I don't get the cast trigger design-wise. What's the point of giving your opponent a free Time Walk to rebuild after you just Mindslaver'ed their ass back into the stone age?

Overall, pretty disappointed by the card.
    Protection from Instants + Protection from Sorceries in hand + 1 off the top. The card design is actually pretty good for maintaining most of the Protection from colored spells clause in a new and innovative way.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Probably to prevent slaver loops. Naively, that ability seems really weak.
    It costs 13.

At 13 you should be allowed any kind of loopy masturbation your dirty mind can imagine.

Besides, slaver loops are a piece of cake in a world with Goblin Welder.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

So you get Mindslavers ability to control the opponent for a turn , but without the added benefit of the attached TimeWalk. Might be interresting as a midrange option for Tron in Modern and maybe even for 12-Post, but its much worse than the original incarnation for cheating it into play and as a finisher. Being counterable is a big deal.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    Id say useless card, in legacy i can only see it as a reanimation target played instead of inkweel (but being soft to karakas isnt cool).
    My reasoning for playing Inkwell is approximately equal parts Karakas avoidance and Islandwalk. Plus, It's possible I might actually hard cast Inkwell. I can't really see playing Emmy2 over Inkwhell unless I'm unable to find my Inkwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Not gonna lie, if I take control of my opponent's next turn.....there's a 100% chance I'm going to have them forget their extra turn trigger.
    By my reading, the slaver and extra turn are part of the same trigger ("When you cast Emrakul...") and therefore you can't miss one part and not the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    It costs to
    Fixed that for you.

As far as the big 'surprise' of Emrakul on Innistrad... meh!
    Too much Eldrazi too soon.

Itll realistically cost 8-9 mana in legacy. Castable through blood moon, even if ultra slow. Might be worth considering as a sideboard or replacing one endbringer in colorless eldrazi deck. The extra turn effect is really bad but the fact that it has protection from everything not malestorm pulse might be worth considering since it ends the game on next swing.

It costs 13.

At 13 you should be allowed any kind of loopy masturbation your dirty mind can imagine.

There are 8 possible card types ( land, instant, sorcery, creature, artifact, enchantment, planeswalker, tribal ) so it could cost as little as 5 (and that's before accounting for silly stuff like Eye of Ugin or Heartless Summoning.) And I don't think WotC has tested it, but Karakas is pretty strong as combo pieces go.

I guess it could be a blowout against combo decks, but mostly it just seems too weak to justify itself.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by maraxusofkelds View Post
    Itll realistically cost 8-9 mana in legacy. Castable through blood moon, even if ultra slow. Might be worth considering as a sideboard or replacing one endbringer in colorless eldrazi deck. The extra turn effect is really bad but the fact that it has protection from everything not malestorm pulse might be worth considering since it ends the game on next swing.
    For the love of all things holy, stop saying sorceries can kill this. You control their next turn, that Maelstrom Pulse is going to target one of their own permanents!

Here's how it's gonna go down: Their Lilly -2 targeting self. Pulse their Lilly. Oh, and you're going to take control of their turn as Visions has 1 counter left on it of course. #value

As far as legacy is concerned there is a key piece of text missing: Look at their top 3 cards and arrange them in any order. You need something this strange to kill SDT and CB with their own Wear/Tear since an astute player with 1 mana up would spin SDT holding priority, tap the top, and bury it ~2 cards deep.

Quote Originally Posted by maraxusofkelds View Post
    Extra turn isn't really that bad actually, just look at it as you are the one playing the extra turn, with your opponent cards, trying to screw his gameplan, then the game goes back to normal and its you opponent turn as usual
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It costs 13.

All those thirteens make Triskaidekaphobia even more flavorful in the context.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    Extra turn isn't really that bad actually, just look at it as you are the one playing the extra turn, with your opponent cards, trying to screw his gameplan, then the game goes back to normal and its you opponent turn as usual
    If they have no cards and you draw a creature or land its kinda bad.

If they have any remval and a creature in play(attack into emrakrul) it seems pretty strong!

Overall cool card but nothing to get hyped!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

If they have no cards and you draw a creature or land its kinda bad.

If they have any remval and a creature in play(attack into emrakrul) it seems pretty strong!
    I am wondering how good the loop with Karakas is, especially against decks full of Ponder, Brainstorm, and SDT.

Edit: On reflection, the vulnerability to counterspells makes a big dent in it.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Fluffwise, I'm bummed it's Emrakul instead of the Phyrexians

I don't see any obvious uses for this card in Legacy, but I'm generally bad at anticipating that stuff. However, I'm wondering if the real impact of the set will be new additions to Eldrazi Stompy. If they print a few more good mid-size Eldrazi, that could really push that deck over the top (though at the same time, I'm not sure what type of creature that deck even wants that it doesn't already have).

I think it usually costs 8 mana at that point in the game, not a number Legacy or even Standard is too struggling to acquire in an "Eldrazi" deck.

It is a highly resilient, evasive, kills-in-two-hits beater with a Mindslaver-on-cast effect that can't be countered.

And it's a reanimation target, as just a fatty.

The thing is a multi-format player, as a sideboard against control decks if nothing else. I can't imagine losing too often after casting this.

Thread Information