Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Thalia Stompy

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: Thalia Stompy

Nice, although she and the Eldrazi are on the same team in this deck, so the flavor is kind of a miss for White Eldrazi/Thalia Stompy.

I haven't tested the Ballista + Heliod combo yet. Been too busy tooling around with Breach.

Jul 2018
    Gothenburg

Btw, did anyone test the new Heliod with Ballista in this shell?
    I've tested the combo in a weekly tournament but I played it in a very sub-optimal 'white' list eschewing most Eldrazi whilst using Recruiters, Stoneforge and Mirran Crusaders instead (in order to get Heliod online more often which was a mistake in hindsight).

I only ever got Heliod online once but having the lifegain ability as a mana dump was not insignificant and saved me a couple of times.
    I also never got to combo off but was a turn away from comboing once or twice and did stress my opponents out a bit.

Ballista was as good as ever and I feel like the combo can still work.

My takeaway from that attempt is definitely that the Eldrazi need to stay in, and at that point I wonder what I would even cut to make room for Heliod?
    As he requires another card on the field to do anything and a specific card to combo which costs quite a lot of mana and sometimes an extra turn why not just add a big hard to beat Angel or Eldrazi instead?

Might be talking out of my ass here as my list was as mentioned quite subpar.

For reference I played 2 Heliod and 3 Ballista.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I've missed the recent discussion in this thread. I also tried an updated list with a green splash for OuaT recently, which seems like exactly what the deck needed. Mox Diamond-manabases can be tough, they are your best friend and worst enemy. I skipped the Eldrazi, figuring that the addition of green makes it better to skip colorless and focus on utilizing the added green mana. I was playing 3 maindeck Thorn of Amethysts and 4 Phyrexian Revoker to make sure I always beat combo and control and to make life hard for blue decks in general, and with 4 Thalia and 3 Thorns, Stoneforge Mystic into equipment seems like a nasty and hard to deal with threat. I was also considering trying Heliod, just waiting to see when the price flattens out.. I played the list in a local 16-players but relatively high-stakes tournament with no prior testing, built the list from scratch (well, the archetype is well tried but I hadn't seen a green-splashing list with OuaT's), and went 3-2, beating combo and control but losing to Delver and Lands. Then in the top8, yes we use it even for this small tournament, lost again to Delver. So that's where I'm at. Trying to figure out what to change to have better game vs Delver and Lands. May cut the Thorns (or Revoker) since they seem most flexible, also considering adding Ballista and Heliod which may be good vs both Delver and Lands. Idk yet. I'm mostly working on other decks so this is moving slowly.

The list I played was something like this:
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Walking Ballista
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Knight of Autumn
    3 Palace Jailer
    4 Once Upon a Time
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 Snow-covered Plains
    1 Forest
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Prismatic Vista
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Savannah
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2 Choke
    2 Blessed Alliance
    3 Rest in Peace
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Engineered Explosives

Hmm...
    Actually here is the full list with sideboard: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24597&d=372041&f=LE

I actually feel like Tireless Tracker may be a great addition.. Just like Stoneforge Mystic it's a great card to pressure the opponent under a Thorn and Thalia making it hard to interact with creatures.
    Last edited by pettdan; 03-02-2020 at 09:54 AM.

The white modal lands, Armed Skyhunter and Court of Grace are all fantastic here.

Lots of whites taxing creatures and Palace Jailer are all quite effective in the format.

Sep 2011

Skyclave Apparition likes this deck too

What's with the 1-of creatures without Recruiter of the Guard?

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

Hey there folks,

I'm supposing you all are advocating for take Eldrazi out of the deck? I don't see it, honestly. I've been playing slight variations of the list I won the January Catalan Legacy League with, and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

About Skyclave Apparition, his WW, non-playable with Cavern naming Humans cost, make me think that it will be hard to cast. That depends of the actual build of the deck, anyway.
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

I love it!

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

For my list above, which is quite far from the ordinary I believe, I want to test it replacing chalices with probably 3 stp and 1 thorn of amethyst. Probably also changing revokers into skyclave apparitions. Edit; because as you could see above, combo was a good matchup while Delver was not. And chalice is barely worth playing while Oko is around to run it over.

Edit: actually, cutting knight of autumn for skyclave apparition seems like a pretty good upgrade here, just missing being able to interact with batterskull and omniscience.

@FTW: recruiter seems bad here because your sacrificing a lot to ramp out cards that impact the gamestate and recruiter is doing the opposite, it's like giving your opponent a free turn to do whatever they want. Recruiter is typically run with vial rather than sol lands. But, maybe I'm wrong and it actually would work.. Edit: the one ofs are there because I like them each as singles but never want to draw two, basically, so they are more valuable as one ofs. Until I figure out which one is better. Then I probably increase the number of copies of that card.

Edit:
    @Captain Hammer: I suppose Armed Skyhunter is a suggestion for my list because Eldrazi Taxes doesn't usually run stoneforge and equipment, I believe. It's certainly interesting. It would require upping the equipments. The biggest problem I think is not getting value before being answered by bolt. I had been considering trying the deck with Stonehewer Giant, which is similar but won't whiff and survives bolt. But of course, 5 mana is a lot. Hmm.. Actually I'm not sure Palace Jailer is well positioned and since adding 4 Skyclave Apparition the Jailers could be something else, maybe add an equipment and two Skyhunters or Stonehewers.

2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Walking Ballista
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    4 Skyclave Apparition
    3 Palace Jailer

3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Once Upon a Time

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Mox Diamond

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 Snow-covered Plains
    1 Forest
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Prismatic Vista
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    Last edited by pettdan; 11-14-2020 at 03:28 AM.

Will be playing some version of this deck again at a live event in Brooklyn at gamestoria . I’ll post what I play and my results soon. I’m probably Gunnar play a bladesplicer- smugglers copter build because it’s good against delver.

Ended up doing horribly, lots of new stuff in the meta. Also played against a bunch of lands decks so not a great match up . Big bummer is the new green channel land ….

Jul 2011
    Germany

Current brew:

Lands: (25)
    6 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Wasteland
    2 Karakas
    1 City of Traitor

Creatures: (25)
    4 Archon of Emeria
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    3 Palace Jailer
    3 Solitude
    3 Timeless Dragon

Rest: (10)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Umezwa's Jitte

Side as you wish (i like Containment Priest, March of Otherworldly Light, Spyglass, S.Extraction, Warping Wail - but White+Colorless has many tools and your Meta may need different adjustments)

-Remember that you can Evoke Solitude and Displace it ;)
    -Timeless Dragon also greatly helps with Mana, you can also use it T1 with Tomb etc. very flexible card

vs Combo: Archon of Emeria, Thalia, Thought-Knot Seer, Chalice (Karakas)
    vs Creatures: Eldrazi Displacer, Palace Jailer, Solitude, Jitte (Karakas)

Overall you win with Creatures, that can be beefy enough (compared to DnT) vs some removal options, also have a bunch of flying beaters, even some lifegain.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Thread Information