Re: Kaladesh -or- When Kiran met Pia

So I haven't seen this discussed yet in this thread:

From Reddit:

For those who can't see it, here's the combo:
    Have those three in play.
    Target Saheeli with Liquimetal Coating.
    Use Saheeli's -2 on herself.
    Keep the copy.
    Repeat steps 3 and 4 until your opponent gets decked out.
    Disciple of the Vault is the alternate kill card here, in case your opponent can't be decked (Emrakul, etc).

Given how cheap this combo is, is there a Legacy shell here?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    So I haven't seen this discussed yet in this thread:

From Reddit:

Disciple of the Vault is the alternate kill card here, in case your opponent can't be decked (Emrakul, etc).

Too easy to disrupt. Any Lightning Bolt gets in between
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

It's cute, you can probably win some games with it, but I really doubt a three card combo is really all that viable.

Not to mention there are plenty of common main and sideboard cards that just ruin this, from Pithing Needle, Phyrexian Revoker, Abrupt Decay, Krosan Grip, etc...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Why do that over something like Painter Stone? Three card combos, even cheap ones, normally see less traction than two card combos.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Why do that over something like Painter Stone? Three card combos, even cheap ones, normally see less traction than two card combos.
    Yeah, not to mention none of those things is really good on it's own, besides the 'Walker.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Apr 2011
    Germany

Kambal is strong because he is _not_ symmetrical and taxes the opponent even if he doesn't try to storm combo. Searching removal against him by using cantrips isn't pleasant.
    Question is if he is playable from the casting cost and colors standpoint.
    D&T probably doesn't need him, after Prelate and stuff.

Kambal not dying to Massacre is probably his biggest plus side over most of the other hatebear options. New recruiter doesn't find him though.

The only reason is because there was a lot of talk about the use of Liquimetal Coating in Legacy back when it was spoiled (for instance, as land destruction with Gorilla Shaman). It never gained traction, but I could see it being used in the same way that Painter's Servant can use Elemental Blasts to tip the game as an aside to the main plan.

no 3 card combo will ever make sense in a world where you can Exhume/SnT Griselbrand

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Yeah, not to mention none of those things is really good on it's own, besides the 'Walker.
    If you're running a full set of the coating I think you can get away with playing 4 Dack Fayden?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

The only reason is because there was a lot of talk about the use of Liquimetal Coating in Legacy back when it was spoiled (for instance, as land destruction with Gorilla Shaman). It never gained traction, but I could see it being used in the same way that Painter's Servant can use Elemental Blasts to tip the game as an aside to the main plan.
    If you can find a way to slot in that third card, I could see something like this working. I see the deck working in a Grixis shell with Tez and Daretti. Add Welder and you could have some fun. I am just not sure if the secondary advantage of Land disruption is enough though.

Not to knock it, I love the idea, it's just if your not playing a control role you need to be playing a tempo role to make LD effective. I guess you could go down to the control route, using things like Bridge, Opal and Thopter Sword. But then it becomes about getting all the moving parts to line up, an issue the current builds of Tez have yet to get right.

That said, it sounds fun if made to work.

Edit:
    DACK.... Ohhh.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

DACK.... Ohhh.
    Best I can come up with is:

4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 fow
    4 daze
    4 bolt
    4 snap caster
    4 Saheeli Rai
    4 Dack Fayden
    4 Liquimetal Coating
    4 Altar of the Brood

20 Lands

----

Probably just better to run Delver at that point though? I think you need something to search up the combos. . . maybe Reshape?

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I think this card could be pretty interesting.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Disciple should be the better piece here if we're not using an ETutor package? Hits people, chumps, can carry equipment and if the Gorilla Shaman+Liquimetal fun is done, pings people for that.

Coating+Ancient Grudge sounds fun too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post

I think this card could be pretty interesting.
    I'm not sold on any of the CARS yet, but there's an element to them where they are basically equipment with zero equip cost. That's interesting, and perhaps makes them marginally better than equipment in decks with small creatures. They're narrow, though, in the sense that running CAAAAARRRSSS requires you to run creatures in that sweet spot where they reliably can drive the CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR but not so big that they get smaller when they do (Clown Car style).

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRS

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Best I can come up with is:

4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 fow
    4 daze
    4 bolt
    4 snap caster
    4 Saheeli Rai
    4 Dack Fayden
    4 Liquimetal Coating
    4 Altar of the Brood

20 Lands

----

Probably just better to run Delver at that point though? I think you need something to search up the combos. . . maybe Reshape?
    Pheh.

When Liquidmetal Coating first came out, I paired it up with Gorilla Shaman in Vintage. It was funny as hell when it got going. Nuking lands for free, killing weenies for a small down payment. Still, Mox Monkey is better played in a format with Moxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Disciple should be the better piece here if we're not using an ETutor package? Hits people, chumps, can carry equipment and if the Gorilla Shaman+Liquimetal fun is done, pings people for that.

Coating+Ancient Grudge sounds fun too.
    Right on.

I don't hate this card. It's not flashy or anything, but it's got a remarkably powerful enters-the-battlefield effect. Blinking this lady is such amazing value, I expect it to start being an EDH staple. Could even see play in weirdo decks like Aethermage's Touch or some nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    I'm not sold on any of the CARS yet, but there's an element to them where they are basically equipment with zero equip cost. That's interesting, and perhaps makes them marginally better than equipment in decks with small creatures. ...
    That's fine, but it seems like the vehicles that have been spoiled so far aren't that much better than creatures with similar casting cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    That's fine, but it seems like the vehicles that have been spoiled so far aren't that much better than creatures with similar casting cost.
    Yeah, but that's the same problem with equipment, right? I mean, only the broken ones see play there, so the comparison might well just prove CAARRRS are bad anyway.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

That's boring, you could always play Leonin Elder and aetherflux and go for the hadouken to the face.

Let's get there fellahs!

Thread Information