Thread: Future DTB updates.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Future DTB updates.

As I am sure some of you have seen, of late that the data on offer from TC has dropped. This is largely to do with the slowing of Legacy events over the last few months and thus the contraction of available data. Last update I added two months together to get the update. Before that I had skipped the update altogether. With the changes to SGC (and thus the further reduction of data) I feel as though I need to look up updating the way the DTB is updated. Carrying forward from this month:

• If the total sum of data for the decks played in a month does not exceed 1400 points the months total will be rolled into the next update. For an example of how often this happens, before August this year the last 3 times it had happened were June 2010, August 2010 and June 2014. This should be an anomaly. If it becomes the norm I will look into updating my metrics.
    • The total percentage needed to enter the DTB section will be reduced from 4.6% back down to 3.4% in the short term. I will look at the effects this has on updating the forum and make more decisions as the future presents itself.
    • If the months DTB numbers would be reduced to below 5 decks, a count of that months MTGO Data will trigger. In this case the decks performing well on MTGO will be noted and added as a stopgap measure to prevent the DTB forums becoming irrelevant. As of posting only 3 decks would make the DTB this month and only 3 made it the months of August and September.

If the numbers continue to decline, it may become necessary to look at other ways to update the DTB section. While I know there are issues with MTGO Data, I feel as though it is becoming disingenuous to continue to ignore it in the face of slipping paper data and a reduction in large paper events. If time permits, I may seek to start a separate thread in the forum just for the collection of that data, even though it is horribly incomplete thanks to Wizards publishing policies.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Please note I have heard your views on MTGO Data in the thread I started on that matter but I feel like it might become time for me to start compiling that anyway.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: Future DTB updates.

I dunno to what extend the MKM Series and such influence the DtB section, but if the worldwide number of Legacy events drop (which I doubt atm) there is no alternative to MTGO data no matter of the issues with card availability
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2013

All data files though the same algorithm on TC. As long as the event is filed, the data shows. If the event is not filed then it has no weighting. Make sure you talk to your TO's and ask them to file their events. Everything helps.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I dunno to what extend the MKM Series and such influence the DtB section, but if the worldwide number of Legacy events drop (which I doubt atm) there is no alternative to MTGO data no matter of the issues with card availability
    Doesn't help when Wizards create lag between Paper and Online. At this point in time, MTGO is a different Legacy format that does not have recruiter and prelate.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

All data files though the same algorithm on TC. As long as the event is filed, the data shows. If the event is not filed then it has no weighting. Make sure you talk to your TO's and ask them to file their events. Everything helps.
    One problem I've noticed with with TC in the last year is that as Eternal Extravaganza (and its satellite series) have taken on increased prominence in the eastern US (even the Satellite events tend to be as good as if not better than SCGs in terms of player quality), the fact that they don't put their results into an aggregator (like TC) has definitely caused the DTB to drift away from what the meta looks like here.

Mar 2013

Do you have anyway for me to get that data from elsewhere?

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Do you have anyway for me to get that data from elsewhere?
    I'm in the process of organizing a monthly Satellite event near Philadelphia and one of the requirements is that you collect top 8 lists. I don't think data from older events is available, but I'll make a point of either linking you to wherever Tales posts lists or uploading to TC myself if I'm allowed.

Mar 2013

If your able, can I have the deck types and all brackets? I would love to do a full break down if the day. That is assuming you have 7 or more rounds. I am not sure less than that is helpful.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Giga Quarterly does deck lists. I'll collect them from this past event if possible and make a breakdown
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I couldn't find the MKM series on TC, which are 4-6 "larger" Legacy tournaments per year (7-9 rounds of swiss normally).

Here are the results of the last MKM tournament: http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/cov...e-2016-legacy/

Do you need it in any specific form, or is a link to the results sufficient for you?

Greetings,
    Kathal

Mar 2013

It needs to be on TC, but if I have permission from the TO, a link is all that's required for me to place it there myself.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

You don't need permission from the TO to incldue his tournament results on TC decks.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Mar 2013

I like to ask before I act. I know I don't need them to say yes, but I would still rather do so first.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

But...why? I don't even know how to argue about this since I can't see what kind of permission you would need in the first place.

It seems pointless to ask for permission. You're even performing a free service to them. If anything, it sets a precedent of giving TOs the idea they had a say in where/how their tournament results were published.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    But...why? I don't even know how to argue about this since I can't see what kind of permission you would need in the first place.

It seems pointless to ask for permission. You're even performing a free service to them. If anything, it sets a precedent of giving TOs the idea they had a say in where/how their tournament results were published.
    Fair enough.

Thread Information