Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider expensive?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

What do you consider expensive?

I was talking to a guy at work about being a 93/94 player and the 'Swedish rules'. I told him I own the majority of the cards that I want, and there's only a small # of cards that I can justify buying that I want and don't already own; which cost approximately 500$ for the lot. Then there are the cards that I don't own that I want but won't buy (Bazaars/UNL Volcanic and U. Seas). Now of course, to a non-MtGer 500$ might not seem justifiable. I don't think I mentioned that not including the Bazaars, I own the Revised versions of the cards.

Anyway, I know this is a pretty relative question. I'm curious what baseline # people consider to be genuinely expensive when buying a card.
    25$ a card? 100$? 200$? I know my opinion has certainly changed as I got into the higher end buys. What is your opinion?
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Re: What do you consider expensive?

Expensive is >$500 for a single card.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

$50, but it depends on the price of a deck as a whole, since one card is not a complete deck. Those $50 bills add up quickly. I don't like $2K-$3K decks as a baseline. As a player, I would prefer to have a cheaper game and to own more of the game pieces. Owning all of Legacy, which is only one of the game's many formats, has never really been possible for me, even starting in 2009 when things were significantly cheaper. I pretty much stick to Legacy, Cube, and some Old-School.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I feel like it depends on the card. I'll balk at $90 Ports, but be okay with $500 BB Duals. I think it has more to do with price memory for me.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I think it has more to do with price memory for me.
    right there with you on that; and do i NEED it to finish a deck or WANT it to pimp a deck?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Anything I have to talk to my wife about before I pull the trigger. I guess in that regard over 50. The benifit for me though is I own everything I need. White around the edges sure, but I am not going to spend another few thousand for BB shit. I am content to sit on what I have. (Lands deck aside of course. I will be BB Duals for it.)
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I think Richard Garfield said 20$ chase rares was what would be best for a format and I sort of agree with that. Decks cost less, making it easier for people to try different decks which helps against local meta stagnation. For pimp/ collectables however, I dont have a problem with any value, in fact I think it would be cool if they printed super rare playable promos like actual playable mox promos for vintage champs winners/top 8 would be really cool.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

I feel like it depends on the card. I'll balk at $90 Ports, but be okay with $500 BB Duals. I think it has more to do with price memory for me.
    The RL also factors in. You won't need to worry about your $90 become $50.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Foil russian, test prints.

The most i spent in a single piece of cardboard is 5k, I would consider 1k to be quite a lot for a single card.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    right there with you on that; and do i NEED it to finish a deck or WANT it to pimp a deck?
    What if you NEED it to pimp a deck?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I think it's ability to hold value factors heavily into the determination of whether it is expensive. Also, how much you are paying under the market value also factors in. Anything over $20 for a standard card is expensive imo. But in legacy it's different.

Numerically for legacy you average player probably would consider > $500 to be expensive.

OR

Anything over the cost of the most expensive dual land at any given time (revised)

To a majority of ppl on this form, since there are many people who pimp their decks a few thousand may not really be expensive. Of course expensive is also relative to your income.

I think the most i've spent on a single card was 1200 for my beta black lotus (graded 8.5) 6 years ago. I didn't even think it was expensive at the time cause it was a great deal.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Any amount that requires financial planning based on current circumstances. There are some months where 40 dollars is my max on any given card. Some when it is 10. Some its 100. All depending on how my frivolous money account is.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

When your heart won't beat, your eyes go black
    There's a light in the tunnel and you can't turn back
    Your friends can't save you, your family's gone
    You're waiting on your judgment at the foot of the throne
    Will you beg for some mercy? Will you cop some pleas?
    Will you stand on your own or get down on your knees?
    Will your angels release you from where demons dwell?
    Will you make it into Heaven or go right back to Hell?
    Only time will tell

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

If thats a question in regards to a clientel, you need to define that one. If you ask if 400$ per card is much for a single guy/gal in their mid 20s, the answer is different from the one of a 12yo kid in school, a university Student or a Family father/mother. If you want to go down asking if the prices of todays cards are toxic for new players, you need to look at the age & financial structure of those, for example.

Perception of prices change also over time and the personal situation. Im 2006 i bought FBB U.Seas for 80€ and considered that a lot of money. Later I bought Beta Power Pieces monthly. Today, I look at the prices as unjustified and artificial and wonder why everyone thinks their print-fresh promo FoWs are worth more than FBB Duals which are 20 years old
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

It's all relative. Thousands may not be expensive for alpha power. It may be a good price. I consider foil Leovold to be expensive because yes he is rare but he will be reprinted and his value will sink like a stone. That card is expensive.
    mtgpimp

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

If a single card approaches or exceeds $100, I consider it to be expensive.
    Anything over $200 gets into 'out of my range' territory unless I'm able to trade value towards the purchase.

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

Expensive is relative for everyone.

I have loads of foil signed staples. Majority of my grixis delver, miracles, dredge, etc are signed and foil.

I will NEVER get my foil FS goyfs, FBB duals, ONS fetches signed. Those cards are expensive and lose too much fluidity if they're signed IMO. So probably >$200 for me.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Over $100, though as others have pointed out it depends on the card. I whined about buying Walking Ballistas for $10-15 each, but didn't mind getting a Bayou for $150 a few weeks later.

In general, though, I try not to spend over $100 on singles in a given month, so a $100+ card is a bigger purchase for me.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Agreed with this.

Though really, there isn't necessarily a price that I'd consider "expensive" at the point of buying, but that word is dictated on the context of the purchase as well as the justification behind it. I make a very good living and can buy cards at will. I actively play multiple formats, but think $100 for Heart of Kiran playset for Standard because that feels expensive, yet a $1000 set of Underground Seas won't bat an eye. Expensive for Standard means sinking money into cards that you won't get a good ROI on as it rotates, while expensive for Legacy means you get set back further by upfront cost but can resell it if needed (but in most cases don't because you're buying it for a reason but I digress). So if you have a $250 Underground Sea, that isn't necessarily viewed as expensive because you can flip it for what you got it for so you're only temporarily set back. Adversely, those Heart of Kiran you played with through Standard season aren't selling for shit when they rotate so it's money down the drain.

Tl;dr: Expensive is a only relative to the context of how badly you want something, how useful it is to you, and whether or not you have a chance at a reasonable ROI.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I feel like it depends on the card.
    Yep. Even after my discount at the LGS, there's no way I'm paying what Fatal Push costs right now.

...he said, with an eBay window open, searching for Beta Birds of Paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

If it costs more than $30 and is not on the reserved list, it's expensive.

Thread Information