Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Deathrite Is Next

[Article] Deathrite Is Next

https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...hrite-is-next/

So hypothetically, if the little green guy hits 50% of the meta, but it's not one deck. How would you guys feel?

I don't think it's inconsistent to leave Brainstorm (70%) and ban Deathrite because Brainstorm enables far more strategic diversity, whereas Deathrite makes games revolve around him, and he's just plainly too undercosted.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Re: [Article] Deathrite Is Next

I'd like to see how the meta shakes out before I make a decision about this. Your points are totally reasonable, but I can imagine a situation where Lands and Reanimator are only held in check by Deathrite or running Vintage-esque levels of Graveyard hate, and then a ban becomes much less likely unless they're ok with knock-on bans.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I'm on record saying that I wouldn't mind seeing DRS banned. However I just commissed my new logo and I have plans for it to include DRS
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I mean, that is plausible, but I don't think this is a deterministic outcome of the Top ban.

Deathrite is really good. In fact, he is extremely good. Remember when people realized how good Tarmogoyf was? People were putting it in every deck. I think this is another case of that. People were even discussing banning Tarmogoyf at a point. I think we can look back at that and realize it was a bit silly.

Now, Deathrite is better than 'Goyf, sure, but I think the same principles apply. It's a creature, it doesn't have some crazy protection or anything. I think the format will adjust, more 'yard hate in the form of more Rest In Peace and other effective coutermeasures (Phyrexian Rovoker, etc.) will pick up as well. Things will sort themselves out. Decks that can prey on BUG decks, like Death and Taxes, UR Burn, and so on will pick up and Deathrite (while good in these matchups) won't really save them there. People will realize there are reasons not to run him and we'll find an equilibrium.

It'll take some time, but I am not buying the doom and gloom.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It really wouldn't shock me if DRS took a bullet, but I would hard pressed to call anything right now. The meta is about to shift and shift big. I am not sure this is the moment when such predictions are truly able to be made.

At this point I think it's prudent to let the chips fall, then make calls on what we see.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

The banned SDT, not Brainstorm.

Seems like - as has always been the case - they react to powerful decks, not powerful but versatile cards. Even with Treasure Cruise the sited reason was Patriot Delver (though more accurately should have been sited as a conglomerate of Patriot plus U/R Delver).

I can't see BUG decks being so abundant (and Jund or Maverick will not even be tier-one). Too many things to eat them.

I suppose it depends on how much of the Top decision was data based vs public outcry based. If they are listening to the angry mob, anything could happen.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    I suppose it depends on how much of the Top decision was data based vs public outcry based. If they are listening to the angry mob, anything could happen.
    Let's be bluntly honest, Wizards is not listening to anyone but a balding man who use to work for them. Outside of that I don't think they really do. If they listened to us (As a whole) something would have happened long ago and there would be at lest three less cards on the list.

Saying "We hear you" after not doing anything for years is PR spin. The truth is likely closer to "Ok so the data for the last 6 GPs was highly slanted in one direction... And hey, something about online communities complaints, even though we haven't paid attention to that outside of the VSL..." It's fine that that's what got them to act, but they could at lest be honest about it and say: "We know you have all been asking for some changes for years, but Randy doesn't play your format, so shut up and sit in the corner."
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

DRS is first and foremost a mana dork.

Sure it does other things, but the decks listed in that article could replace them with hierarchs or birds without losing a significant amount of power.

The alternatives for SDT are far worse then the ones for DRS, can't really compare it. Unsure why anyone would say "DRS ties decks together" when it can be replaced by at least 2 cards while keeping the decks in great shape.

Mana dorks will always be popular for obvious reasons, DRS is the best generic manadork, hence its popularity. It isn't always the best dork for a specific deck though (infect), so the balance is probably fine. Its not part of any fancy 2-card combo, it just gets used for what most people like to have, mana.

DRS before Brainstorm? Article writers with their own agendas or just some generally acceptable Brainstorm bias?

As people have pointed out several times Brainstorm has far better numbers than DRS and for far longer time.

For the record, I'm not saying both are not stupid good and yes to a degree an autoinclude and I wouldn't shed a tier if both of them got the axe, but I'm not amused why people (in general, not only the author of this rather short article) are already calling for DRS ban while allowing all blue decks dominance due to Brainstorm.
    I don't want this to derail into yet another Brainstorm thread, but I don't see articles and statements like this ("DRS is next") to be doing any good to Legacy either so.. you know, try to think with your own brains first before buying into sensationalism "DRS is next". I'm expecting next article to be titled "Only 1% of players know this secret".

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by s&s View Post

Sure it does other things, but the decks listed in that article could replace them with hierarchs or birds without losing a significant amount of power.

The alternatives for SDT are far worse then the ones for DRS, can't really compare it. Unsure why anyone would say "DRS ties decks together" when it can be replaced by at least 2 cards while keeping the decks in great shape.

Mana dorks will always be popular for obvious reasons, DRS is the best generic manadork, hence its popularity. It isn't always the best dork for a specific deck though (infect), so the balance is probably fine. Its not part of any fancy 2-card combo, it just gets used for what most people like to have, mana.
    I think you vastly underrate the subtle power of Deathrite. Being cast off of an underground sea is just the first way that it is far better because you don't have to run a pile of forests to cast your mana dorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I don't see the alarmism about a gattling gun of bannings about to be unleashed on Legacy, like they did with Modern. If you don't count the broken Treasure Cruise and DTT, Top is the first serious ban since what, Survival? And Survival only really came to sudden power with the release of Vengevine if I'm not mistaken, so that was a reactive banning as well within months. I'm not fully informed on that so if I'm mistaken please correct. Past that...?

Top got it's broken counterpart in Terminus and began dominating the format since 2012. Undisputed #1 deck by data for a solid year, maybe 2 years.

A single deck got Top banned because it had a warping stranglehold on the format and influenced Wizards design changes since 2012. I doubt DRS (or anything else except maybe, maybe Show and Tell) will be touched for a long, long time.

It's a 1/2 creature that's dependent on the graveyard. There's thousands of answers for that and several natural predators in the format - many of which just got unshackled because Miracles is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

It's ok if some of you think pure numbers a certain card sees should be the deciding factor for whether something gets banned. But please have the maturity to acknowledge that not everyone shares your sentinment. I for example couldn't care less for numbers of a certain card if the meta itself was super diverse from a strategic point of view.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Sultai TNN is the next meta lord

4 DRS
    4 Baleful
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 TNN
    3 Leovold
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    3 Jace
    4 FoW
    3 Daze
    2 Spell Pierce

some little modify and here is one of the next top 8 for the next 6 months
    Kick out strix and Goyf to add thoughtseize & snapcaster. Thats my bet
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by s&s View Post

DRS is a mana dork that esper and grixis decks get to play, which is nuts. If DRS is banned, Grixis Delver doesn't get to ramp. Delver players do not say 'hmm maybe we should play Birds of Paradise'. There would still be a few decks that ramp but it would slow down the format a lot. Right now decks that *aren't* base-green and aren't even designed to need a t1 ramp play get to have one anyway, because, why not, card is all upside.

I don't think DRS is going anywhere. It's really strong but so is the rest of the format and it has to compete with the likes of LED or Entomb or Narcomoeba or Show and Tell. If anything it fits right in by promoting more interactive strategies at a similar power level. It's also much, much more negotiable than Top ever was, which has like 4 cards that are okay against it and you never wanted to maindeck any of them. And look how long than ban took. In particular, I'm not even sure DRS is better than Delver or Goyf going forward- killing your opponent quickly seems REALLY underrated by the strongest DRS advocates. Maybe it's from 3 years of PTSD from Terminus.

Let's be bluntly honest, Wizards is not listening to anyone but a balding man who use to work for them.
    But to whom does he listen?

Was ArFo watching stats, or watching memes?
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Borderline click bait

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I think you vastly underrate the subtle power of Deathrite. Being cast off of an underground sea is just the first way that it is far better because you don't have to run a pile of forests to cast your mana dorks
    I've been bitching about DRS for this exact reason.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

We'll see? I could be happy either way. DRS gets the axe someday? Hierarch's value explodes and Goose becomes a thing again.
    Doesn't? Well I get to play a mana-dork + maindeck grave-hate in BUx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Eh, the format will probably see more creatures overall, meaning more targeted removal. Not that every deck won't still run 4x of the little bastard, but it's also not something you'll necessarily be building your deck just to beat.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Thread Information