Thread: What should a busy player play?

What should a busy player play?

Hi all.
    I hope this post is on the right board, if not please let me know and I will henceforth remove it.

I am looking to get into magic again (as I have been on and off for twenty yers)
    I have rather large collection. In my area I can choose between commander, standard or modern/legacy. I would rather not play standard as I don't feel like buying a new deck every year (and I want to take advantage of my collection) - Commander gives me a headache and also the community seems to endure a rather unhealthy split bween "turn 3-4 combos" and "look at my rhino-tribal".

The last group (who also seems the most mature) is into mainly legacy with a side of modern.

Now the question is: what to play:
    I am looking for a deck that is relatively simple (I am not going to touch mTGO and I am at best playing 3 times a month.) I know that legacy is not a simple format, but there is complex and there is very complex. It would be a big advantage if the deck could port to modern, but not a must. Budget is not a primary concern. I am not going to spend thousands of dollars -but i have most of the artifact accel, duals, fetches, sol-lands so I imagine that most decks are within reach.

What should I pick up?

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Re: What should a busy player play?

Manaless Dredge is easy enough to play and will steal plenty of games in an unprepared meta. Just pay heed to your triggers and the deck pretty much plays itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Sounds like you could pick up what ever you want.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

depends on how fair you want to play, but grixis delver is played in modern as well as jund. both are playable in legacy and should give you some enjoyment of playing with other people.
    -rob

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Doomsday
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Eldrazi? It's pretty straightforward to play, and still pretty powerful. If you already have sol lands and Chalices then the rest is pretty cheap to pick up I think. Seems like there's also a Bant version putting up ok results in Modern, but I don't know much about that.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Eldrazi, BigEldrazi, MUD, Dragon Stompy, Mono Red Sneak, Sneak/Show, Reanimator.
    I'd probably play something totally different in Modern.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

I don't play more than 3 times a month these days, always paper. Not on MTGO. I do read the source and legacy articles.

I play a variety of decks, right now have elves, dnt, dead guy, grixis tempo. Elves I play the most often.

Agreed you're pretty open to any deck choice.

I would start with what you own and go from there. What dual lands and other staples do you have?

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Apart from being a vague question and concerning personal prefrences, I'd say that it mostly comes down to the time you are willing to spend in learning to play a particular deck
    outside of tournament play. Most Legacy decks are complex piles and playing them successfully demands reflecting on plays, watching other players piloting them, tweaking slots and so on.
    And that might take some time.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

I think a good first start is to read through the forum posts here. Look over the Established Decks section and the Decks to Beat section. If you find something that interests you, you can search the deck name in YouTube or elsewhere. There are a lot of matches recorded from Star City Games opens, GPs, and other tournaments, and you can see the decks in action. You don't seem overly constrained by budget, so that's a nice place to be in.

Thread Information