Thread: Nile Stompy [Sea Stompy with Kefnet]

May 2015
    PDX

Nile Stompy [Sea Stompy with Kefnet]

So the key interaction here when you're not doing something inane like turn 1 Chalice or 3-ball is: Chrome Mox (imprint a blue card) -> City of Traitors -> Kefnet the Mindful. Specifically the follow-up play of any land, City trigger to sacrifice on the stack into "hey look, I have 4 mana so I'll just use Kefnet and return City to hand and draw a card."

So the deck right now looks like:
    Kefnet the Mindful x4
    Chrome Mox x4
    Chalice of the Void x4
    Trinisphere x4
    City of Traitors x4
    Ancient Tomb x4

36 slots remain, so the next step is obviously to get as close to Old School/93-94 legal as we can and thus we add:
    Serendib Efreet x4
    Psionic Blast x4
    Beta Island - I'm guessing here since I don't really play stompy decks but 26 mana sources seem fine so that would make this a 14x slots (plus or minus Fetchlands and/or Cavern)

If the mana source estimate is correct, 14 slots remain..so we're definitely jamming:
    Force of Will x4
    Misthollow Griffin x4 (and yes, we can cast them out from under a Chrome Mox #value)

I have no idea what the last 6 slots should be, but I'm sure a playset of Daze and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is probably good enough in the interim. The real boost here though is that Kefnet isn't Sea Drake, and it is much more in line with Chalice spamming on turn 1. Let's make Psi Blast great again!

Edit: thinking more about the mechanics at play with Kefnet, a card like Smuggler's Copter may make more sense in those last few slots.
    Last edited by Fox; 05-19-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Re: Nile Stompy [Sea Stompy with Kefnet]

I like the concept. Other 3cc drops I can think of are Thassa, God of the Sea and Illusory Angel.

However, I'm not convinced playing Trinisphere and FoW/Daze in the same deck, that seems very counter intuitive.

Edit: since it's likely that you will have a relatively full grip, may be equipments like Sword of War and Peace?
    Nothing witty to say.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Stompy/page23

Ideas what to pick up from Faerie Stompy.

I'd definitely test Walking Ballista since it's a threat/removal rolled into one package, with the added bonus of being fetchable with Trinket Mage.

Aside from Trinket Mage, Trophy Mage could also provide nice utility by fetching Trinisphere, CoW and different Swords of X & Y. Both Mages also fill your hand to activate your Kefnet.

Other than that, why did Mulldrifter fall out of favor?

As for Looters, a combination of Smuggler's Copter and Looter Il-Kor might be interesting for card filtering. Not sure about the numbers, though.

Edit: Food for thought:

If you already run Griffins, you could also run Manipulate Fate. If you run Trinket Mage, you can increase the consistency to pull a Ballista.

With up to 8 ways to get both cards, then a splash for Food Chain suddenly becomes more attractive to go for the infinite Ballista damage combo as an alternate wincon. Intuition could be used to increase the number of ways to grab combo pieces, including Food Chain. Whether or not it's worth the splash is a different question, but it could be pretty cool. One could even hide behind Ensnaring Bridge while preparing the nuke combo.
    Last edited by Barook; 05-20-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Really like the idea of Kefnet in a stompy shell. But the deck has the usual stompy issues and I think it often will be quite difficult to get Kefnet online.
    If you have to mulligan and play a Chrome Mox, it will take way too long to get Kefnet running. Perhaps use something like Day's Undoing to refill the hand?

Edit: And Karakas may be a big issue, as I just experienced... ^^

May 2015
    PDX

@P210 There are a number of ways to fight cards like Karakas from turning it into an Island, exchanging one of your lands for it, Tsabo's Web/Winter Orb/B2B type effects, running your own Wastelands, etc. Perhaps a deck like this would even consider running Imprisoned in the Moon, going with a more Stax-style approach (Mana Vortex), or maybe you just play some Eldrazi Mimics and have the opponent take 5 regardless. Also note that if an opponent wants to keep bouncing Kefnet, you could still be crewing a Copter while simultaneously resetting a City. At later points in a game I think a lot of Stompy decks are probably ok paying to force opponent to tap Karakas and then respond by paying to draw a card and refund 2 colorless mana as they pick up and redeploy that City. At this point in theorycrafting such a list, the real question is whether or not the deck is competitive in a general sense rather than whether or not it can beat a problem card. Kefnet might end up being downplayed, or perhaps testing would dictate that a game 1 presentation of this deck is most winning when it plays right into Karakas with the hope that they just don't run it - right now in the meta that's probably not entirely unreasonable; Tundra isn't doing that well and DnT is doing weird stuff with red b/c of their inability to just be ok with losing to elves.

@midnightAce Thassa seems fine, but I would imagine she's harder to turn on than Kefnet as she's not really onboard with the City shenanigans plan. This is what makes Kefnet interesting, you've potentially got everything you want in one card (kind of like Leovold). Kefnet incentivizes what would otherwise be reckless City play, has variance reduction (card draw), and at the end of it you might just be blocking or swinging with a 5/5 indestructible flier (pretty nice keyword against Decay/Fatal Push types). This deck is entirely composed of pretty gargantuan fliers, so I don't know how much the unblockable ability would help. There's a pretty good amount of large, conditional blue fliers around the three mana mark to choose from and maybe Illusory Angel takes Misthollow's spot; the angel has a great rate, it's outside of Bolt range, and only one color requirement...but I'm always a bit leery of cards with that Talara's Battalion-esque wording, especially in a stompy deck where mulls happen and discard can not only take away another card, but also strand Illusory in hand at the same time. Equipment in those flex slots seems fine, in general though I think Light and Shadow are the colors this creature set wants to be protected from most. Definitely fair observations about Daze/Fow + Trinisphere, but blue stompy is also the only deck of its kind that really can have such a high chance of protecting that turn 1 lock piece on the stack. Also, the list I posted actively wants to exile those Griffons and there's few better tempo-positive ways to do it than FoW/Chrome Mox. That's a really controlling, turns-long way to look at this color of stompy, and adding Kefnet into that equation probably means the correct way forward (assuming again that all of this is actually competitive) involves an explosive/protected start into very deliberate long-term planning where independent pieces have additive synergies. It's all theory at this point, but this deck should almost feel like a Delver deck with proactive start, deploy a threat, then sit back and make sure you win with that threat by selecting towards instant speed interaction. I don't know that blue colors of stompy have enough obnoxious "let's jam" effects to be playable [in that same way] over 8x Moon/Sin Prodder or TKS/Smasher/Eldrazi Temple.

@Barook the Food Chain stuff sounds pretty fun, but it's currently a tier one deck with Brainstorm approach so I think we'd just play that. There's definitely way more synergy between Griffon and Angler/DRS exile from yard, also more synergy between Man. Fate and a non-prison mindset. The Mishollows are more here to be free pitch cards which do double duty as creature slots 9-12. I don't know if this deck is supposed to run more than 12 creature slots, but after Kefnet and Serendib it felt like the card had to be blue as well as an unlinked 1-card wincon (i.e. creature). We're only at 24, maybe 26, blue card slots whilst supporting Chromes and FoW, I don't know how much lower we could reasonably go. I think Trophy mage and a very small [1-2 slot] equipment tutor package is probably fine, given it can also find lock pieces as you've pointed out. It is a bit tempo-negative though; hard to say if it's antagonistic to the rhythm this deck wants to have. I can see Intuition being pretty nice in this deck, it definitely makes 4x Kefnet or 4x City potentially less miserable (once assembled, duplicates of either are pretty much useless).

Mulldrifter is something I considered, but Misthollow is card advantage which then turns into a clock. I don't know how much better draw 2 cards early (evoked) is than exile to Chrome/FoW and have a body to attack/block later.

Thread Information