Thread: Every Match Revealed: A Comprehensive Analysis of all~2,000 matches played at MKM Fra

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Every Match Revealed: A Comprehensive Analysis of all~2,000 matches played at MKM Fra

Some of you will remember the amazing Too Much Information articles series the legendary Hatfield brothers used to run on SCG many years ago. In the spirit of this complete analysis of tournaments, including all the matches played, we have now analyzed the first big tournament of the post-Miracles era: the 437 player MKM Series Frankfurt in May.

Every Match Revealed: A Comprehensive Analysis of all~2,000 matches played at MKM Franfurt (436 players)

Special Thanks
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the people involved in this project. First of all Bob Huang for the original idea and establishing the contact to Jesse Hatfield. Jesse had developed the algorithm to analyze all these matches and crunched the numbers afterwards, which I owe him a very big thanks for, too! I'm also very thankful for the MKM coverage team to provide me with all the decklists as well as Sebastian Reinfeldt of their judge team who reached out to their scorekeeper to send me every round's matchups after the event. You really wouldn't read this article if it hadn't been for all of those guys!

So long,
    Julian
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Re: Every Match Revealed: A Comprehensive Analysis of all~2,000 matches played at MKM

Very interesting data. Now I'm curious about the sideboards used and how that skewed some results (ex, 4c loam, did they go with Swords package, or did they overload on hatebears and get crushed by DnT)...are decklists available?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Re: Every Match Revealed: A Comprehensive Analysis of all~2,000 matches played at MKM

One thing that all of the decks that have sub-50% win percentages (Eldrazi, DnT, Burn, RB Reanimator) have in common is that they are disproportionately played by new* players. I wouldn't be surprised if they always had sub-50% win percentages in tournaments because of this, independent of how well the deck is actually positioned.

*bad

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Very interesting data. Now I'm curious about the sideboards used and how that skewed some results (ex, 4c loam, did they go with Swords package, or did they overload on hatebears and get crushed by DnT)...are decklists available?
    Unless I was listed under "other" I'd like to ask fellow stormers what happened that I caused 2/3 wins vs Elves for my archetype...

I'd also ask the organizers how can they not facilitate prize splits but hand out all the decklists to public... not that I mind it, it's just weird... anyway thanks for the analysis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Unless I was listed under "other" I'd like to ask fellow stormers what happened that I caused 2/3 wins vs Elves for my archetype...

I'd also ask the organizers how can they not facilitate prize splits but hand out all the decklists to public... not that I mind it, it's just weird... anyway thanks for the analysis
    from what i can tell, they handed julian a stack of papers and he did the rest.

What i want to know, is the BUG delver variants were separated, but stifle vs therapy (or more accurately, stifle vs no stile) grixis was not. I wonder if there was any difference in win % for those.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Many thanks for all the work you put into this; it's great.

Somewhat related to this data, as Infect had a pretty large presence as it usually does in paper events: Is there a reason that Infect is nonexistent on MTGO? I don't play online, so am I missing that there's a card that's pricey, like Rishadan Port in Death & Taxes? Something about the different meta?

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Excellent article. It's easy to see that there was a lot of work involved in making it and you deserve a lot of kudos.

I am a bit of number crunch newbie so I'll ask everyone here. Has anyone done the math on the win percentages of stifle vs. therapy grixis delver? How would I go about doing that?
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

So obviously mods need to move Dragon Stompy to DTB section if that last graph is correct 😛

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Somewhat related to this data, as Infect had a pretty large presence as it usually does in paper events: Is there a reason that Infect is nonexistent on MTGO? I don't play online, so am I missing that there's a card that's pricey, like Rishadan Port in Death & Taxes? Something about the different meta?
    Infect is a pseudo-Delver deck, meaning it has a pretty terrible m/u vs an actual Delver deck. I doubt the amount of Grixis Delver online makes it an attractive choice.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Sweeeeet article. I really miss seeing data like this from legacy events. Thanks to you, Bob, and Jesse!
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Thanks, Julian. Excellent work on this.

Thank you, very insightful, although I must say I would take your conclusions with a lot of caution. While agree wit most of the stuff you conlclude from the numbers, I think this still has a lot of variance (pilot skill, draws etc) because of the relative small sample size (you did mention that).

If this was available for all Legacy Tournaments it would be so interesting to see how the meta would shape up. Because people would see how the different decks actually play out and not get misled by t8/16 numbers.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    If this was available for all Legacy Tournaments it would be so interesting to see how the meta would shape up. Because people would see how the different decks actually play out and not get misled by t8/16 numbers.
    They still would unfortunatly. Just looking at top x to see what is winning is allot easier then looking at a detailed matchup analysis.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

I just had a man-gasm

Thank you for a beautiful article.

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Thanks for the article and the insights Julian!

For those of you that want to see more on the Bant Deathblade he was talking about, watch Reid Duke play it against Julian.

Thread Information