1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Flame Slash
    1 Fragmentize
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Peer into the Abyss
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Tendrils of Agony

happy to see this list on the 5-0. hopefully you're on here and give some insights as to how the deck has improved with jeska's will. i haven't played legacy during most of 2020 and haven't even picked up the wills yet. what did you play against?
    -rob

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Re: Ruby Storm

So are both sides of this just awesome for this deck?
    I think it's worth trying out.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yes, they are good. Phil Gallagher (ThrabenU) just put up good results with Ruby Storm as well. He credits Jeska's Will for a lot of the fancy new power in the deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    So are both sides of this just awesome for this deck?
    I think it's worth trying out. ..
    It's certainly worth trying out, but, individually, the sides really aren't that compelling. For ruby storm the front side is a bad cost reducer that costs 1 more to cast than Ruby Medallion and the back side is unlikely to see more cards than Reforge the Soul at a similar mana cost.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think the asymmetry of Harnfel puts it a little above Reforge the Soul. In some matchups Reforge is a big liability, especially anything that packs 5+ Force of Will/Negation. For a long time I relegated Reforge the Soul to the sideboard as a single Burning Wish target, just because the risk of getting Force-d or giving opponent's 7 extra draw to find one. What Harnfel also brings is a higher ceiling. Because you're always trading one card for 2 you can even trade a 'good' card for 2 more cards, simply because discarding isn't really throwing away a card in a deck built around Past in Flames.

I wouldn't discount the Red Mana Battery effect of Birgi, either. When you don't lose mana the risk of going all-in on rituals is somewhat mitigated. It does turn removal on from opponents, but when you have the option to play either side I think it is a strong option. I've been sideboarding Guttersnipe pretty much since I picked up the deck a couple years ago so this could be another option for a sideboard creature plan.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Considering Bonus Round, I wonder if Skatterskull Smashing in the board is worth it. Burning Wish to find a land could be good set up. Extra Burning Wishes or Bonus Round. Also Ruby Medallion lowers the cost of BW to a single R.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I got some incredible insight from the most recent Leaving a Legacy podcast: Rite of Flame x1 in the sideboard is correct, not because you will ever Burning Wish for it alone, but with Bonus Round doubling it you want the option to get both mana and business. Shatterskull seems to fit the same strategy, which means you can make a land drop and get business if you double your Burning Wish.
    Brainstorm Realist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

There's been advocating of bonus round and sb rof for quite some time. Vs non blue decks seething song bonus round led burning wish with a rof and hazoret's in the sb is usually game over.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

// 12 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 2 Creature
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

// 9 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    1 Desperate Ritual

// 14 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Sandstone Needle
    6 Mountain

// 21 Sorcery
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Bonus Round
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Jeska's Will
    1 Ignite the Future

sb would have at a minimum:

1 grapeshot
    1 tendrils of agony
    1 empty the warrens
    1 rite of flame
    1 past in flames
    1 hazoret's undying fury
    1 sadistic sacrament
    3 scab-clan beserker
    1 fiery confluence
    1 echo of eons
    1 ignite the future
    1 empty the warrens
    1 reforge the soul

Just saving this here for now.
    -rob

I am only just making an account but yes I am now here. My list has changed quite a bit since this and I am writing a primer of sorts. I will post as soon as I am finished. I have spent about 2-3 months 4-5 leagues a week testing various iterations and have been recording my thoughts and conclusions throughout. I will have a pretty thorough finished product along with a couple lists that I find to be actually competetive. To give you a teaser the deck no longer runs Bonus round, rite of flame, simian spirit guide, desperate ritual... it is permanent based with a TES package (3 opals, 3 chrome mox) 3x birgi, 3x EXPERIMENTAL FRENZY. I'll be streaming TONIGHT (3/2/21 Tuesday) and the Sunday Challenge 3/7/21
    Www.twitch.tv/tonyscapone
    I will provide links soon to finished lists and my primer.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by TonyScapone View Post
    I am only just making an account but yes I am now here. My list has changed quite a bit since this and I am writing a primer of sorts. I will post as soon as I am finished. I have spent about 2-3 months 4-5 leagues a week testing various iterations and have been recording my thoughts and conclusions throughout. I will have a pretty thorough finished product along with a couple lists that I find to be actually competetive. To give you a teaser the deck no longer runs Bonus round, rite of flame, simian spirit guide, desperate ritual... it is permanent based with a TES package (3 opals, 3 chrome mox) 3x birgi, 3x EXPERIMENTAL FRENZY. I'll be streaming TONIGHT (3/2/21 Tuesday) and the Sunday Challenge 3/7/21
    Www.twitch.tv/tonyscapone
    I will provide links soon to finished lists and my primer.
    it's really nice to see how you've been brewing in your own way with the deck and have pushed it into yet another direction. will try to check out your games as soon as possible.
    -rob

Seems cool, i'm too a fan of Mox Opal and i think it's somewhat overlooked in Legacy

New Dragonstorm List!

10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors

4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Lotus Petal

3 Birgi, God of Storytelling
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Terror of the Peaks
    1 The Ur-Dragon
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
    1 Lathliss, Dragon Queen
    1 Atarka, World Render

4 Burning Wish
    4 Seething Song
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Dragonstorm
    3 Irencrag Feat
    3 Jeska's Will
    2 Pyretic Ritual

Sideboard:
    4 Defense Grid
    3 Blood Moon
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Shatterskull Smashing
    1 Dragonstorm
    1 Irencrag Feat
    1 Mizzix's Mastery
    1 Boiling Seas
    1 Anarchy

This deck is great fun to play with. Birgi/Horn give it a whole new way to tango, particularly with the horn. If you hold a dragonstorm and a burning wish in hand but not enough mana to generate your combo, you can discard the dragonstorm to the horn and find mizzix's mastery with the wish, casting mastery targeting d. storm. Which seems in my opinion like a better idea than what I was previously doing for 5 mana, which was reforge the soul. Yes, reforge gives you more looks at burning wish, but the symmetry was often too painful. I really like this list but think that the 'board could use with some tinkering. particularly due to the fact that it seems that Death and Taxes is a fairly favorable matchup, excepting thalia. Therefore it seems that anarchy might be somewhat of a poor choice. But I'm unsure to be honest. Maybe a past in flames could be good maindeck in place of a jeska's will, which, as has been noted here, is not always a reliable source of mana. Super fun to play though.

now i'm playing that list:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal

// 4 Creature
    4 Birgi, God of Storytelling

// 15 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Desperate Ritual
    4 Valakut Awakening

// 14 Land
    8 Mountain
    3 Ancient Tomb
    3 Sandstone Needle

// 19 Sorcery
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Bonus Round
    3 Reforge the Soul

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Defense Grid

// 12 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Cave-In
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Chain Lightning
    SB: 1 Bonus Round
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    SB: 1 Finale of Promise
    SB: 1 Ignite the Future

That is a classic list, but i've try Birgi and Valakut Awakening. Birgi is strong in each part of the card, of course. Valakut is strong, like Act on Impulse (that probably is the worst drawer 'cause we can use better the Horn side of Birgi with more reforge). i like the list a lot, but i don't test with all the decks. I did a lot of test against Echo Storm and D&T. I want try against delver and ANT next time.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Cool list. Missing jeska's will or maybe just a replacement for AoI

Looked at it again, what I do like about this list is the ability to run a lot more lands than most versions. I'm not crazy about Reforge anymore, but it does steal a lot of wins vs non blue decks. It does make sense in your build, which is always looking to refill the hand for valakut.

I've always liked playing the led version. I understand it wouldn't play well with the valakut. It could still make sense to run led since you can flop into a Reforge.

How often are you casting birgi and winning the same turn, or casting birgi and winning the following turn?
    Last edited by mistercakes; 03-24-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    -rob

I've been quite busy with the deck. Here are my links. I streamed a Top 8 run for a Sunday Challenge and edited + put it in my YouTube. I wrote a 20+ page article and got it published on theepicstorm.com. Check it out! :D

@TonyScapone on twitter and TonyScapone on MTGO

https://theepicstorm.com/the-epic-ruby-storm/

https://youtube.com/channel/UCjjDWbkVroC3zKakInA5SgQ

https://www.twitch.tv/tonyscapone/

https://www.streamdecker.com/mydecks

I've been quite busy with the deck. Here are my links. I streamed a Top 8 run for a Sunday Challenge and edited + put it in my YouTube. I wrote a 20+ page article and got it published on theepicstorm.com. Check it out! :D

The article at mtgtheepicstorm is very good. Shouldn’t that be enough to qualify as a primer and get this moved up to established?

Apr 2018
    Valencia, Spain

Hi all, i like to see other versions of this deck but i’d rather prefer to follow the original guideline based on passing through the countermagic with a ton of spells.

I think that the “spirit” of this deck wants to enjoy playing spells and cards like bonus round, hazoret’s undying fury, reforge the soul etc... give us that crazy play.

I neither think that Ruby Storm is a “meme deck”, it was born 4 years ago to give us fun and i want to mention Mistercakes and Viecko, the authors.

Thank you guys!

Thank you Tony for posting this, I read your article on theepicstorm and I found your deck quite interesting. Within your article and in some of your videos, I noticed that you mentioned you were having a difficult time with Deafening Silence and maybe some other permanent hate that made your deck difficult if not impossible to work. I am wondering if you considered adding the card Introduction to Annihilation to the sideboard? Introduction to Annihilation can be fetched with Burning Wish and not only can it exile just about any permanent threat, it can also act as disruption from against your opponent. Also I am wondering if 2-3 copies of Introduction to Annihilation can work in place of Shattering Spree, Pyroclasm and Chain Lightning? Replacing these would make the sideboard more streamline and you could add board in some Introduction to Annihilation in games 2-3 if needed so you don't have to use a very valuable Burning Wish. Since Introduction to Annihilation is all colorless, you don't need to produce colored mana to cast it and since your deck provides so much mana, casting it a five may not be too much of a problem. Adding Introduction to Annihilation to your sideboards and possibly main deck may not make your deck so vulnerable and may can give it some more disruptive option.

Just an additional thought that is directed at everyone. Is Introduction to Annihilation good for all Ruby Storm variants?

Just some thoughts and I am looking forward to feedback.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    The article at mtgtheepicstorm is very good. Shouldn’t that be enough to qualify as a primer and get this moved up to established?
    I think so. Working on moving it now.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information