Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4787939495969798 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 1944

Thread: Ruby Storm

Re: Ruby Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Worobec View Post
    5 mana is way over the top, you are likely not even able to get to 5 mana against deafening silence for example, and for that pourpose, if you are willing to spend many sb slots you can surely find better cards (even enginereed explosives work better for example)
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

updated initial post to tony's epic primer and his recent podcast.

thanks again tony!
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    5 mana is way over the top, you are likely not even able to get to 5 mana against deafening silence for example, and for that pourpose, if you are willing to spend many sb slots you can surely find better cards (even enginereed explosives work better for example)
    I just know from experience that if a card locks me out of the game or is going to make me loose the game and I have no answer for it main deck but I can wish for it in my sideboard; I would want that card available to me no matter what the cost. Introduction to Annihilation is a good option to have to get you out of just about any permanent threat that prevents you from winning the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    updated initial post to tony's epic primer and his recent podcast.

thanks again tony!
    My pleasure! My passion :D

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

I just know from experience that if a card locks me out of the game or is going to make me loose the game and I have no answer for it main deck but I can wish for it in my sideboard; I would want that card available to me no matter what the cost. Introduction to Annihilation is a good option to have to get you out of just about any permanent threat that prevents you from winning the game.
    What about Apocalypse then? The price is high, but you can get rid of all permanents. Since the deck casts many spells from exile or graveyard (e.g. Ignite the Future does both), discarding the hand might not be an issue.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Ofc it's cool to have an answer to pesky lock pieces, but at 5 mana (and not being red), this card is close to unplayable.

Image facing deafening silence, how are you supposed to get to 5 mana with rituals shut down and likely against a deck with 8x land destruction and thalia.
    If you fear deafening silence, anarchy is much, much better.

A combination of:
    - anarchy for W ench and possible blowouts
    - a creature removal, shouldnt be hard to find one red
    - an artifact removal, again easy to find

should solve your problem, you now have no game only vs non-white ench, and there are not that many i think
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Oh my, this seems like it will make a lot of turn 2 wins happen.

Edit: I've been told in the main spoiler thread that i'm dumb and this isn't good. I guess i'm seeing it wrong.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It's close, but happening the next turn and not "until your next turn" is a big downside.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post

Oh my, this seems like it will make a lot of turn 2 wins happen.

Edit: I've been told in the main spoiler thread that i'm dumb and this isn't good. I guess i'm seeing it wrong.
    You're not dumb, this card is very good. I would consider it immovable as a 1x sb target. It has only over-performed in testing.
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4085919#paper

Are we 8-wish now? Makes me want to grab a Thundermaw and just smash face with it.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    It's close, but happening the next turn and not "until your next turn" is a big downside.
    I need to revise my statement, because apparently Galvanic Relay is bonkers. I nabbed a set.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hey, folks. Here's another silly pet project that I've been working on. I'm definitely up for some suggestions.

Hunting Pack R/G Storm

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Chrome Mox

// 2 Creature
    2 Lier, Disciple of the Drowned

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Experimental Frenzy

// 14 Instant
    2 Hunting Pack
    1 First Day of Class
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Seething Song
    3 Veil of Summer

// 16 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Mountain (b)
    2 Taiga
    4 Arid Mesa
    1 Plateau
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Volcanic Island

// 17 Sorcery
    4 Escape to the Wilds
    4 Jeska's Will
    4 Strike It Rich
    3 Wish
    1 Expressive Iteration
    1 Ignite the Future

// 15 Sideboard
    // 5 Instant
    SB: 2 Force of Vigor
    SB: 1 Hunting Pack
    SB: 1 Turn the Earth
    SB: 1 Crash

// 1 Land
    SB: 1 Blast Zone

// 9 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 4 Prismatic Ending
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Peer into the Abyss

I would say the most powerful card in the deck is definitely escape to the wilds. It gives some degree of resiliency. I've been going toe-to-toe with some of the tougher control decks and amazingly, this has been able to hold its own. First day of class into hunting pack is pretty funny. Albeit difficult to sequence. There's a lot of fun to be had here, which is always my goal. But of course, I'd like to be able to make it more competitive as well. I really wanted to make a hunting pack deck because I like the card. Obviously there are better ways to win, it's more for the sillyness of things than anything else.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Did no one get excited about this?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Would love to play this card with bonus round, but haven't played a game of legacy since early 2020.

Theres some talk of it on the discord.
    -rob

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

So I've actually gotten back into Legacy a bit, been (mostly) cleaning up at the local tournaments with this list

5 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Chrome Mox
    3 Shatterskull Smashing

4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Rite of Flame
    2 Desperate Ritual
    1 Pyretic Ritual
    4 Manamorphose
    3 Seething Song

4 Ruby Medallion
    3 Birgi, God of Storytelling
    2 Bonus Round

4 Jeska's Will
    4 March of Reckless Joy
    2 Inspired Tinkering
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Wish
    2 Past in Flames

Sideboard:
    1 Defense Grid
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Act on Impulse
    1 Bonus Round
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Galvanic Relay
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Paraselene
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Wish
    1 Worldfire

Some notes on card choices:

- First off, I don't see anyone else running March and that's wrong. Categorically. March is lowkey one of the best cards in the deck and I think really a large part of what's pushing the deck from the dregs of tier 3 novelty to actually being a metagame breaker in power level. Like, I don't think I've felt this good about the power of a deck I was working on since Hulk-Flash days. But yeah March is good generally, and insanely flexible. It's a mana dump when cards are what you need, and it can conversely turn cards into mana. It's also just a really solid turn 1 play setting up turn 2 wins, often just at card parity by pitching one card of whatever you have too much of. Whereas it turns into a dig deep must-counter if the game stalls out. Just, play March, it's so much better than diddly shit like Reckless Impulse. Joy recklessly

- Birgi is obviously just an insane card but it's worth pointing out

- Wheel effects are bad, why do you want your opponent to draw cards

- Running 6 (sometimes 7) wish effects is actually just dumb

- While we're at it a lot of what makes the deck so much more powerful now than it used to be is that with so many ways to play cards from places other than your hand, LED actually just becomes functionally Black Lotus, which it turns out is a really good card. I do realize that this is the goal of lots of combo decks to combine with various tutors etc., but I mean, there aren't really hoops. When you're going off and you flip an LED off the top with an exile effect, you play it and it's just straight up three free mana to cast the spells you have in exile or your sideboard or your graveyard

- Shatterskull smashing is really good as it turns out, being a land that pitches to March/Mox and also kills hatebears/hatewalkers dead

- Speaking of which, not technically drawing any cards except for Manamorphose means you get to lol at Narset/Hullbreacher

- Why Worldfire, I hear you ask. Because it's completely asymmetrical going off and it's a big red button that answers any situation where you're still allowed to cast spells, including shrouded and indestructible hateful things and even infinite life if that comes up somehow

- Galvanic Relay is an insane wish target in the matchups where it's relevant, but is not worth playing main deck as it's a dead draw when you actually need to win.

- Simian Spirit Guide isn't here because it's just a gray ogre when you're going off

- Yes it's quite possible that 15 wish targets is overdoing it, I'm not sure what I'd actually want to side in though. Honestly the biggest weakness the deck has are cards that simply stop you from playing spells; Deafening Silence, Ethersworn Canonist, Iona and Archon of Valor's Reach. The deck has outs to the first two at least. Otherwise, most other hate cards and counters/discard are just bumps in the road; they can slow you down but the opponent usually needs a critical mass of such effects + actual pressure to stop you. The deck is incredibly resilient against these other forms of hate. I have been tempted by Chandra, Awakened Inferno which would be useful against decks with an overabundance of counters + kill hatebears up to and including Archon, but it'd be pretty hard to cast without being able to play rituals the same turn.

Also I'm not fond of the name "Ruby Storm," nor do I consider it particularly accurate anymore as the deck is well past needing Medallion to go off. Or Bonus Round for that matter (hence only 2 maindeck copies.)

I propose the deck name be changed to The Great Red Spot instead, appropriately named after the biggest storm in the solar system.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Somehow playable?
    Last edited by Cabozin; 10-01-2022 at 02:04 PM.

For other people that have no clue how stickers work: according to this tweet it's 40 % to be a Seething Song (5 mana), 30 % to be better Seething song (6 mana) and 30 % a worse Seething Song (4 mana). And that's for the first use in a game, the next uses are worse, because the best sticker is already used up, if I understand the mechanics correctly. Also, it doesn't get doubled by Bonus Round.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

kind of cool to see an enchantment guttersnipe. dunno if it's a functional reprint. haven't played in a while. :)
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

obligatory Mind's Desire is unbanned. can maybe merit the manamorphose + led builds, but also just have a dumb out in the burning wish sb.
    -rob

Hello guys. I see this adventure and i think seems good for a full "draw 2" list as below (it's just an example).

// 60 Maindeck
    // 9 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    2 Helm of Awakening
    3 Defense Grid

// 6 Creature
    4 Birgi, God of Storytelling
    2 Runaway Steam-Kin

// 8 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose

// 18 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Sandstone Needle
    1 Dwarven Ruins
    6 Mountain

// 19 Sorcery
    8 Reckless Impulse
    4 Wrenn's Resolve
    4 Jeska's Will
    3 Wish

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 1 Helm of Awakening
    SB: 1 Defense Grid

// 2 Creature
    SB: 1 _____ Goblin
    SB: 1 Urabrask

// 1 Instant
    SB: 1 Chaos Warp

// 10 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Act on Impulse
    SB: 1 Bonus Round
    SB: 4 Galvanic Relay
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Fiery Confluence

I think (for now, with 0 test, just theoretically) we can do a full combo deck with up to 12 free "draw" 2 in the deck. In fact, Birgi + Ruby cast free each draw 2 and i'm trying to improve this chance with this list. What do you think about this idea?

I work also for a more all-in list in g1:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 11 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    3 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal

// 8 Creature
    4 Birgi, God of Storytelling
    3 _____ Goblin
    1 Urabrask

// 8 Instant
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose

// 14 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Sandstone Needle
    3 Mountain

// 19 Sorcery
    8 Reckless Impulse
    4 Wrenn's Resolve
    4 Jeska's Will
    3 Wish

// 15 Sideboard
    // 6 Artifact
    SB: 3 Defense Grid
    SB: 3 Chalice of the Void

// 1 Creature
    SB: 1 Urabrask

// 1 Enchantment
    SB: 1 Aria of Flame

// 1 Instant
    SB: 1 Chaos Warp

// 6 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Act on Impulse
    SB: 1 Bonus Round
    SB: 3 Galvanic Relay

Just one thing that will be in test: chalice, without drop at 1, seems good against stp/brainstorm from our opponent. Just in test.
    Last edited by hadhod; 08-14-2023 at 04:52 AM.

Thread Information