Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrab77 View Post

G1: I get mooned and rabblemastered to death
    Hey there, how's it going? Getting mooned to death sounds way more funny than it actually is lol. And don't ever apologize for your english, it's good and even if it wasn't you're taking your time to write and improve the deck. That goes a long way. ;)

What are you planning to cut in order to get to 4 Therapies? 3 Brutalities seems like the right number, Unmask is really explosive but if it gets countered you get really far behind, whereas a countered Brutality still leaves a fatty in the graveyard for you to reanimate.

More often than not I've wished I had another Brutality in hand rather than an Unmask.

I'm currently trying the full-hardcast mode with my SB, didn't had the time to write about the last event but it performed well. Yes, we could be weak to bridge, but on games in which your opponent doesn't know your strategy to leave the reanimation package behind it's basically a free win - he will mulligan to hell and back to find hate, leaving him with a five or six cards in hand in which one or two are useless, and you still keep plans A, B and C up your sleeve.

Hail Marit Lage and hope you have a good weekend!

I was messing around with a version of this for a bit in the run up to eternal weekend and it seemed ok but I'm not an experienced depths/combo player and I couldn't get familiar enough with it for me to play it over a blue deck.

I think the list I was using was something like

2 Griselbrand
    4 Custodi Lich
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    1 Primeval Titan
    1 Grave Titan

4 Reanimate
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Unmask

2 Lake of the Dead
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg
    7 Swamp
    1 Castle Lockthwain

Of course mono-black reanimator-depths is already a deck, the main thing I have done here is swapped Exhume for Shallow Grave and added 4 Custodi Lich instead of extra copies of Grave Titan or whatever other random reanimator target like Iona or Ashen Rider.

Some things to think about:

- Shallow Grave is obviously nice with Grisel to give haste. This might appear to be a problem because at the end of the turn you will lose the 7/7 wincondition and you don't have the same-turn tinfins storm kill but it seems you can usually draw enough cards to disrupt the opponent and set up depths.

- Shallow Grave lets you instant-speed reanimate your Hexmage which can provide some eot Marit Lage the opponent isn't expecting

- Primeval Titan was included because it seemed a better Shallow Grave target than Grave Titan (set up depths kill vs make 4 Zombies) in practice it didn't seem necessary but not convinced enough to cut it yet.

- Custodi Lich is only 5 mana instead of 6 which makes it easier to cast than GTitan with Rituals/Petals, Lake of the Dead turns typically make 6 mana for Titan but then this lets you push Lich through a Daze etc

- Shallow Grave Lich after the opponent steals the monarch is a good play (kill one of their creatures and take the monarch back) and because Shallow Grave is an instant you can even do it in their 2nd main before they draw a card

- Exhume is bad with Custodi Lich because it gives them a free creature to sac

- I felt like Grave Titan had become a lot worse because of Oko, DHA+Bolt etc, whereas the Monarch is relatively more difficult to interact with (and in the matchups where you expect it to be interacted with it's good for your 5drop to edict them on ETB)

Anyway I thought I might revisit this deck with the new 2BB monarch enchantment from the commander set, the deck probably can't fit many copies main but it does seem like a decent SB plan to juke combo hate

MH2 Shallow Depths Update

2 Griselbrand
    4 Custodi Lich
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    3 Grief
    1 Archon of Cruelty

4 Reanimate
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

2 Lake of the Dead
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg
    8 Swamp

Playing the shallow graves over another reanimate spell gives your griselbrand plays a boost which makes griefs stronger
    Grief is also a good card in the deck, you can reanimate/shallow grave/hardcast it etc

However of course there is still an argument to play Exhume or Animate dead etc instead
    Especially if you want to try to win with Archon to Beat karakas when you dont have enough life to Reanimate it, or something like that, it could be annoying
    I think Exhume is maybe a bit worse with Grief / Lich than Animate Dead

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    MH2 Shallow Depths Update

2 Griselbrand
    4 Custodi Lich
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    3 Grief
    1 Archon of Cruelty

4 Reanimate
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

2 Lake of the Dead
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg
    8 Swamp

Playing the shallow graves over another reanimate spell gives your griselbrand plays a boost which makes griefs stronger
    Grief is also a good card in the deck, you can reanimate/shallow grave/hardcast it etc

However of course there is still an argument to play Exhume or Animate dead etc instead
    Especially if you want to try to win with Archon to Beat karakas when you dont have enough life to Reanimate it, or something like that, it could be annoying
    I think Exhume is maybe a bit worse with Grief / Lich than Animate Dead
    That's a sweet looking deck! How good has Custodi Lich been as a 4 of?

If I wanted to add 4 Dauthi Voidwalkers to the above list, how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    That's a sweet looking deck! How good has Custodi Lich been as a 4 of?
    I think it's probably better than the grave titans of the original list because it's easier to hardcast and a bit better vs plow but this is somewhat debatable I suppose

If I wanted to add 4 Dauthi Voidwalkers to the above list, how would you do it?
    Sideboard card (if anything), I don't think there is space in the main
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 07-02-2021 at 04:40 AM.

With all the noise about initiative I think one of the black ones has flown under the radar a bit

From the Catacombs 3BB
    Sorcery
    Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control with a corpse counter on it. If that creature would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else.
    You take the initiative.
    Escape—{3}{B}{B}, Exile five other cards from your graveyard.

It's like a zombify with escape that also lets you take the initiative

- Anytime you go off with griselbrand but don't win that turn, your opponent has to grind through multiple escapes of this to win.
    - Essentially mono-black unburial rites in terms of being an Entomb target
    - If you don't have any solid targets in your graveyard you can always target any random creature from the opponent just to get initiative

So you could play a deck like in my previous post -1 Grief +1 this. You could also cut the Depths aspect entirely and use another recent suggestion of adding 4 Voidwalker (over the Hexmage), as the unblockable attacker is nice with the initiative/monarch aspects and is just a solid monoblack card as a plan B if your opponent has Leyline of the Void or whatever

Thread Information