Thread: [SCD] Bontu's Last Reckoning

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

[SCD] Bontu's Last Reckoning

Bontu's Last Reckoning

Bontu's Last Reckoning (1BB)
    Sorcery
    Destroy all creatures. Lands don't untap during your next untap step.

Honestly, I feel like this card is a sleeper sweeper (heh), especially in Legacy where it's back effect can be mitigated via Force of Will and other alternative cost spells, and its much more accomodatable converted mana cost is welcome against explosive aggro-combo like Empty the Warrens, Elves!, etc.

Thoughts?

Re: [SCD] Bontu's Last Reckoning

It seems worse than Toxic Deluge in most cases to me.

Picked up some foils just in case when they are cheap. Might be better against Tarmogoyf decks than Deluge.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklas View Post
    It seems worse than Toxic Deluge in most cases to me.
    The difference is you suffer no negative side effects if Reckoning is countered. The double black is the biggest question mark. The main fringe scenarios would be Toxic's ability to kill an indestructible creature and ability to set wrath points (mainly something like Lilly Last Hope +1, Toxic for x=1, and your own DRS lives while their DRS dies).

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Damnation is a much closer comparison, and Damnation sees almost no play in this format. Toxic Deluge has largely supplanted Damnation and Pernicious Deed because it takes care of most of the cards they used to handle. If more creatures with large toughness are printed in the future, then maybe Bontu's Last Reckoning will have a role, but it would still be competing with Damnation for that spot.

Feb 2010
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The difference is you suffer no negative side effects if Reckoning is countered. The double black is the biggest question mark. The main fringe scenarios would be Toxic's ability to kill an indestructible creature and ability to set wrath points (mainly something like Lilly Last Hope +1, Toxic for x=1, and your own DRS lives while their DRS dies).
    ... The lifeloss isn't the only difference. Taking a turn to untap *is* the biggest difference. The current legacy format doesn't allow you to take a turn off just to cost wrath for 1 mana less.

Quote Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
    ... The lifeloss isn't the only difference. Taking a turn to untap *is* the biggest difference. The current legacy format doesn't allow you to take a turn off just to cost wrath for 1 mana less.
    Life is not so important compared to the tempo loss.
    That's why Channel.deck would be tier 0 in every possible meta

Damnatiom = Toxic Deluge (situational hierarchy between these two) > Bontu's LR

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
    I stipulated that the wrath spell is being countered, in which case you untap as normal. If it resolves that's great, and degrees of magnitude more likely to resolve vs Daze than Damnation. Quite a few decks that run Toxic play hellbent magic; any deck that fires off hellbent cantrips effectively exerted 1 land per cantrip fired from previous turn. Such decks also have a high predisposition towards running PWs, if that PW is LotV they probably have to blindly mill off the top the next turn, otherwise the PW is still generating value unopposed.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I'm not a fan. Sending all your lands to the tapped zone for a whole turn is going to be such a big tempo punch that by the time it's worth it, you're past the need for a 3-mana board wipe and could just pay for good ol' Damnation. I agree that Toxic Deluge is just usually the better board wipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

I think people are selling this card short and I agree with the OP - this card is Legacy viable.

It competes with Toxic Deluge, Pernicious Deed, and Damnation. However, it has differences that make it situationally better / worse than all of those, some of which you guys have already mentioned. It doesn't cost life like Deluge, which can be a huge deal against, say, Eldrazi, and is less of a blowout if countered. It costs less than Deed and Damnation, and that's a pretty big deal when you're talking about a card that can be cast off of a Dark Ritual.

Is it a tempo loss? Sure. But, that tempo loss is relative and flexible, and it comes with the benefit of sweeping the board. You won't cast this to remove a single threat unless you absolutely must, and so you're looking to get 2-for-1 or better off of the card. So, even if you do lose tempo, you also gained CA. And, the more you removed (looking at you, Elves and Merfolk) the better a trade it is.

Like I said, tempo is flexible. Consider:

Turn 1 Deluge off of Dark Ritual = You can't untap ONE land next turn.
    Turn 2 Deluge off of (Mox Opal? Ritual?) = You can't untap TWO lands next turn.
    Turn 3 Deluge (off land) = You can't untap THREE lands next turn.
    Turns 4+ = You're down the three lands you used next turn.

In other words, the tempo loss is at its zenith if you play this normally on turn 3, and drops off rapidly in either direction after that. Now, I completely agree that turn 3 is probably the turn when you're most likely going to want to fire this off. But, as a late game card or an early game answer, the drawback is less.

Also, consider what your deck wants to be doing. If you're in an aggressive or tempo deck, then the tempo loss is pretty bad. But, what if you're in a control shell that just wants to drag things out?

Basically, this card is absolutely playable. Whether it actually sees play depends on whether:

1) The metagame is likely to produce lots of decks that quickly flood the board (Elves, Eldrazi, Merfolk);
    2) Your deck is not a tempo deck; and
    3) Your deck plays Dark Rituals.

I think the more that these three things are true, the better Reckoning gets compared to similar cards.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post

Basically, this card is absolutely playable. Whether it actually sees play depends on whether:

1) The metagame is likely to produce lots of decks that quickly flood the board (Elves, Eldrazi, Merfolk);

I think the more that these three things are true, the better Reckoning gets compared to similar cards.
    What decks are those?

I'm seeing:

Storm - Would probably rather just kill you by the time it can cast this.
    Some Reanimator decks - The game is probably over by the time you can cast this.
    Pox - Shouldn't be letting enough creatures hit the board for a sweeper to be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    What decks are those?

I'm seeing:

Storm - Would probably rather just kill you by the time it can cast this.
    Some Reanimator decks - The game is probably over by the time you can cast this.
    Pox - Shouldn't be letting enough creatures hit the board for a sweeper to be good.
    Probably one of the nonblue midrangey decks i.e. Junk, DGA, 4c Loam.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Feb 2015
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    I think people are selling this card short and I agree with the OP - this card is Legacy viable.

It competes with Toxic Deluge, Pernicious Deed, and Damnation. However, it has differences that make it situationally better / worse than all of those, some of which you guys have already mentioned. It doesn't cost life like Deluge, which can be a huge deal against, say, Eldrazi, and is less of a blowout if countered. It costs less than Deed and Damnation, and that's a pretty big deal when you're talking about a card that can be cast off of a Dark Ritual.

Is it a tempo loss? Sure. But, that tempo loss is relative and flexible, and it comes with the benefit of sweeping the board. You won't cast this to remove a single threat unless you absolutely must, and so you're looking to get 2-for-1 or better off of the card. So, even if you do lose tempo, you also gained CA. And, the more you removed (looking at you, Elves and Merfolk) the better a trade it is.

Like I said, tempo is flexible. Consider:

Turn 1 Deluge off of Dark Ritual = You can't untap ONE land next turn.
    Turn 2 Deluge off of (Mox Opal? Ritual?) = You can't untap TWO lands next turn.
    Turn 3 Deluge (off land) = You can't untap THREE lands next turn.
    Turns 4+ = You're down the three lands you used next turn.

In other words, the tempo loss is at its zenith if you play this normally on turn 3, and drops off rapidly in either direction after that. Now, I completely agree that turn 3 is probably the turn when you're most likely going to want to fire this off. But, as a late game card or an early game answer, the drawback is less.

Also, consider what your deck wants to be doing. If you're in an aggressive or tempo deck, then the tempo loss is pretty bad. But, what if you're in a control shell that just wants to drag things out?

To add to this, if you're playing a deck that drags things out you can't play a lot of deluges, because the life total is going to be probably under some stress already. BLR acts like an additional wrath after toxic deluges in my opinion, whereas on average deluge is going to do the job more efficiently, but there are so many deluges a deck can play safely.
    Since a lot of creature decks in legacy play tarmogoyf or gurmag angler, who is played even more than goyf right now because grixis delver is arguably the best deck in the format, BLR seems like a nice card to have to wrath the board without having to pay 5+ life.
    BLR has an actual downside only if the opponent has a follow up, which is not always the case. In my opinion a deck cannot play more than a certain number of either TD or BLR: the first one taxes the life total too much, and therefore redundant copies of it can become dead cards pretty fast; the second one acts like an emergency button that can get rid of big monsters in a pinch, but too many copies of BLR and the deck becomes way too clunky.
    My opinion is that before playing the second copy of either card I'd rather play the first copy of the other one: they both are very powerful and have different type of drawbacks that don't overlap. And they both answer TNN for 3 mana. That's my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Indeed. Infact I'm testing a single copy in a midrangy deck like one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Yeah, either that, or some kind of Dimir or Esper control deck that wants to grind out the opponent. It's not a competitive deck right now, but something like Mesmeric Orb / Unravel Sanity Mill, where you just want to twiddle your thumbs while you grind them out, is the perfect kind of deck.

My point is not that this card is well suited for today's meta, but it is the kind of card that I can absolutely see fitting a particular need that is powerful enough for Legacy in future metas.

Thread Information