Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hollow One Controls the Courts

Jul 2013
    Texas

Re: Hollow One Controls the Courts

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Well, I 3-2'd a league and went 2-2 at my weekly (but won my first 5 games) with an approximation of this list:

4 Hollow One
    4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Vengevine
    4 Flameblade Adept
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Insolent Neonate
    2 Hooting Madrills
    1 Anger

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Firestorm
    2 Sudden Shock
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Dead/Gone

4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Taiga
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Mountain
    1 Forest
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Forgotten Cave
    1 Barbarian Ring

4 Pyrostatic Pillar
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Magistrate's Veto

I do think it has to have blue in it because it's very challenging if you don't draw faithless looting or they surgical faithless looting. So getting redundancy with Careful Study is appealing. Also I think the storm plan out of the board would be better with Flusterstorm/Force -- like Neckbird's list. And Cephalid Coliseum, etc. etc.

Anger has been pretty good, even just as a 4-mana haste creature to trigger VV or get through for the win. However, Wonder would probably be even better. I also have Brawn in my "maybe" pile to get around TNN/YP infinite chump blocks.

The Loam package is OK... it's nice to refill your hand for Looting effects and we always have Barb Ring recursion as a plan. I think it's better than trying to play Grove or something; both plans are slow, but Loam has a little more upside in helping hit land drops vs. Wasteland decks and building mini-engines with cycling lands.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Red offers an interesting extra in Gamble. Being able to find an extra Hollow One and discard a card comboes nicely with e.g. Faithless Looting. Though sadly the random discard does make things a tad unreliable and I think a Legacy-viable version would have to run non-random self-discard. It also doesn't feel strong enough to be able to run without interaction; combo feels very difficult otherwise.

This deck probably wouldn’t run frantic search if frantic search was legal right? Waiting until turn 3 even if free is too slow I’m guessing but then again people are suggesting cephalosporins coliseum which is slower and effectively costs 2 blue.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Red offers an interesting extra in Gamble. Being able to find an extra Hollow One and discard a card comboes nicely with e.g. Faithless Looting. Though sadly the random discard does make things a tad unreliable and I think a Legacy-viable version would have to run non-random self-discard. It also doesn't feel strong enough to be able to run without interaction; combo feels very difficult otherwise.
    Now Gamble is an interesting thought... back to the drawing board :)

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
    This deck probably wouldn’t run frantic search if frantic search was legal right? Waiting until turn 3 even if free is too slow I’m guessing but then again people are suggesting cephalosporins coliseum which is slower and effectively costs 2 blue.
    I would definitely play Frantic Search. I don't think it would be a 4-of but it's very powerful. I've considered cards like Compulsive Research and Thirst for Knowledge but the tapping out is the hard part. The fact that it is an instant means if you are on the Rootwalla/VV plan you can do it on their turn (though it doesn't help with Hollow One of course).

Izzet Charm is in my pile of cards for the U build right now. Kills DRS, looting redundancy, and counters haymakers like Jace, K-Command, and NO (and potentially even Terminus if they try to brainstorm/predict into it on our turn or something). Hope to have a list by tomorrow.

Jul 2013
    Texas

This deck has some serious swings but the payoffs are so sick

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    This deck has some serious swings but the payoffs are so sick
    Hello, could you share your updated list pls ? Really interested.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Would casting breakthrough for x=2 be worth it in this kind of deck? Or still too lousy?
    -rob

Jul 2013
    Texas

This is the most up to date list but I’m fiddling with it a lot

4 hollow one
    4 flameblade adept
    4 hapless researcher
    4 street wraith
    4 basking rootwalla
    4 vengevine
    1 skaab ruinator
    1 hooting mandrills
    1 wonder

4 careful study
    4 lightning bolt
    2 faithless looting
    2 izzet charm
    2 stubborn denial
    1 life from the loam

3 scalding tarn
    3 wooded foothills
    2 misty rainforest
    2 tropical island
    2 volcanic island
    1 taiga
    1 island
    1 forest
    1 mountain
    1 lonely sandbar
    1 barbarian ring

3 pyrostatic pillar
    2 flusterstorm
    2 surgical extraction
    2 pyroblast
    2 ancient grudge
    1 echoing truth
    1 pyroclasm
    1 tormod’s crypt
    1 sulfur elemental

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Would casting breakthrough for x=2 be worth it in this kind of deck? Or still too lousy?
    It would be sick but I think a tad too slow, at least in the build I’m using. However, it could be interesting in a Call to the Netherworld build just because of more free madness.

There’s probably math on having a couple VVs, hollow ones and rootwallas in your top X cards. Like, what are the chances that you breakthrough for 1 and get a bunch of VVs back that turn. But that’s above my math ability.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Streamed the deck a bit last night, I can't put it down because of turns like this

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/233061771

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

I am starting to acquire the cards to make this ridiculousness. I do think that having 4 maindeck Thoughtseize might be reasonable, but it might also just dillute too much of the deck. I also only own 2 Control of the Courts, so I will put in 2 Collective Brutality and see (and also see how it would be as CotC #3 and #4).

It's an exciting deck to be certain.

Quote Originally Posted by razvan View Post
    I am starting to acquire the cards to make this ridiculousness. I do think that having 4 maindeck Thoughtseize might be reasonable, but it might also just dillute too much of the deck.
    I think you're on the right track about wanting discard, but I think cabal therapy might be more useful as it is still a resource you can use once it is discarded. I think it works especially well either after an attack or with a root walla.

May 2015
    PDX

I think Breakthrough is probably fine. In a normal game were you ever going to turn 2 a Goblin Lore with 4 cards left in hand [before Lore resolves] and risk a 37.5% chance of losing the best plan your hand had? After that point Breakthrough is going to generally outperform, especially in a longer game. The question is probably more about are you playing red at all, or can you fit Faithless Looting by itself in a BUG approach. The URg approach also seems fine, but I don't think you could really justify not incorporating P-Fire. Collective Brutality seems like a far better card than Thoughtseize given how untinteractive the linear versions of this deck are.

I've been playing around with this deck idea. I like it!! Kudos for the deck idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkraigher View Post
    I'm pretty sure the most broken cards in any of these lists are the Goblin Lores and the Control of the Courts. I'd just run more of these with delve spells in the green versions too.
    I think you're dead right to pursue these two cards.
    They offer a great chance to drop fatties like Hollow One, given Chalice@1 is easy for many opponents' decks to drop on T1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
    ... cabal therapy might be more useful as it is still a resource you can use once it is discarded.
    For me, I like the idea of black, creature options a plenty even without recursive threats.
    Cabal Therapy is probz my fave magic card. Raven's Crime here could be useful, as we only care about the first couple of land drops, after that you might repeatedly use Crime to kill their hand. I know Living Death is a casual card and doesn't really fit here, but this deck idea immediately had me thinking about it....

Blue does have solid options.
    Hapless Researcher, Careful Study, Breakthru etc. are all nice, but I'm actually more interested in Tolarian Winds.
    Court & Goblin lore together with Winds is where I'm thinking.
    Winds resolving = big turns with Flameblade Adept, and enable any delve card, letting you drop most of your hand on the field.
    Winds with Call to the Netherworld works okay.

My real concern here though, is that Goblin Lore, Control of the Courts & Tolarian Winds are all going to be counter fodder....
    Without those cards doing some heavy lifting, I think the rest of the deck may not be the threat we may hope for, which is why I'm testing out a list with discard.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The URg approach also seems fine, but I don't think you could really justify not incorporating P-Fire.
    The reason is for no Punishing Fire/Grove is that this is fundamentally an aggro deck and as such needs to be able to close out games efficiently and doesn't want to give the opponent any breathing room. I know that Punishing Zoo has existed in the past but this deck is even more aggressive than those more midrangy Zoo decks -- I consider it more like Affinity.

Sep 2010
    France

I'm tinkering something very junky right now with unearth and circling vultures. What do you think of it? Specially unearth, both seems good with hollow one and skaab ruinator which are my main damage sources.

I'm working on my mana base and a way to protect the win coditions but at the moment i was thinking about 4 hollow one, 4 skaab ruinator, 4 unearth, 4 circling vultures, 4 mox diamond, 4 street wraith and 4 attunement as a base.

Totaly forgot about tolarian winds though

Jul 2013
    Texas

I tried skaab ruinator. It was hilarious but it’s vulnerable to pyroblast and decay, and you always have to tap 3 lands which is kind of a lot. I was considering a UR moon build without VVs and with Dack and Ruinator though. And mind bomb! But that’s not on MTGO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2010
    France

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I tried skaab ruinator. It was hilarious but it’s vulnerable to pyroblast and decay, and you always have to tap 3 lands which is kind of a lot. I was considering a UR moon build without VVs and with Dack and Ruinator though. And mind bomb! But that’s not on MTGO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You don't have to tap 3 land with unearth. Mind bombs! I forgot about those too, need to try them.

Jun 2008
    Toronto, Canada

So I tried to BR version this week and went 2-2. Beat maverick and the mill deck, lost to elves and jeskai stoneblade.

I will post a new and updated decklist, but the one I ran was relatively standard, except 2 MD Collective Brutality over 2 Control of the Court which I only own two of. The sideboard is too chaotic and I will need to improve it. Definitely need board sweepers, whether Anger of the Gods, or Toxic Deluge. Firestorm or Devastating Dreams *could* be good but I think you don't want to discard too much to that specific effect.

Anger is great, so I upped that to 2 MD. This is what I would run right now:

4 Flameblade Adept
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Hollow One
    4 Gurmag Angler
    2 Flamewake Phoenix
    2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Anger
    4 Burning Inquiry
    4 Goblin Lore
    2 Control of the Court
    2 Collective Brutality