Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying into Legacy or Modern?

Re: Buying into Legacy or Modern?

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    From my experience legacy and modern don't differ that much anymore in terms of its costs. I was in OP's situation as well a few months ago after I had sold out years ago and considered investing in modern too but honestly I had to laugh at the prices people are willing to pay for crap like Fulimnator Mage etc. nowadays.
    Don't differ that much anymore in terms of costs? Are you kidding? There's a big difference. The cheapest major deck in Modern is Storm, at $388. The cheapest major deck in Legacy is Dredge, at $827.

Heck, the most expensive notable Modern deck right now is probably UWR Control (in large part due to Jace's high price tag at the moment), and that's a little under $1500 to put together. Most Legacy decks will run you at least $2,000 and some pass $3,000. Czech Pile is around $4,000!
    (prices based on mtggoldfish's deck price estimates)

EDIT: I should be fair and note that Jund's price tag in Modern is nearly $2,000. I initially didn't notice it because the deck's been irrelevant for quite a while now, but the unbanning of Bloodbraid Elf may change that. Still, the point remains that the absolute most expensive Modern deck is less than the typical Legacy deck.

And all that despite modern still being a format where you're killed by cc4 combos
    I'm not sure exactly what a combo card being cc4 is supposed to matter, but the biggest Legacy combo deck is probably Storm, which generally kills you... with Tendrils of Agony or Empty the Warrens, both cc4 cards. Also, for that matter, I'm not sure what deck in Modern falls under your description. Scapeshift is a 4-mana card (though the deck is just as likely to go off via Primeval Titan), but that's the only one I can think of. I guess Storm sometimes runs Empty the Warrens?

and manabases that solely comprise nonbasics because the best counterspell or LD available is mana Leak or Stone Rain respectively.
    Well, Legacy having substantially better land destruction and counterspells hasn't stopped Grixis Delver (Tier 1!) from running 0 basic lands.

In fact, I'm very puzzled as to this claim in general. What Modern decks aren't running basic lands? I can find a handful of Modern decks running only one (Affinity and 4-color Death's Shadow) but I can't find any running 0, and most decks are running multiple basic lands. It's certainly much easier to find Legacy decks running zero basic lands than it is to find Modern decks doing that.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Don't differ that much anymore in terms of costs? Are you kidding? There's a big difference. The cheapest major deck in Modern is Storm, at $388. The cheapest major deck in Legacy is Dredge, at $827.
    You can get Manaless Dredge + SB for around 300 euro's, so that'd be $350 or so US.

It's obviously not the best deck and is very much a metagame predator, but still. I've both 3-0, double ID to top 8'd and 0-5'd with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

If I wanted to play something blue-ish in Modern the only REAL investment are 4 Snapcaster Mage and 4 Scalding Tarn. Those 8 cards together are the price of a 1 NM Underground Sea. The rest is not that expensive anymore. In Legacy 1 USea does not open anything except an Ub Death's Shadow list with 3 Watery Grave and 1 USea and you are still missing your 4 Force of Will. Even less played non blue decks can run expensive cards like Chalice or Mox Diamond. Modern is waaayyy cheaper than Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    You can get Manaless Dredge + SB for around 300 euro's, so that'd be $350 or so US.

It's obviously not the best deck and is very much a metagame predator, but still. I've both 3-0, double ID to top 8'd and 0-5'd with it.
    This is why I say "notable deck" though I suppose I could have defined it better. I meant a deck of real tournament calibur, that it isn't a surprise to see do well at a big event. It isn't that surprising to see regular Dredge do well, but Manaless Dredge you rarely see any of. There's also the fact that, in my experience, pretty much everyone who plays Manaless Dredge does so not for any strategic reason, but simply because it means they don't have to buy Lion's Eye Diamonds.

If we want to start including decks of Manaless Dredge's caliber, or decks that people generally play just because it's a cheaper version of another deck, then we can easily point to Modern decks that are cheaper than Manaless Dredge, like Soul Sisters or 8Whack.

But that's why I was trying to fixate on the popular and notable decks rather than the more fringe archetypes. If you start going into fringe archetypes then you can absolutely find pretty cheap stuff in either format, but in terms of the decks people generally play, there's a huge difference between Modern and Legacy's prices.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I have spent way too much in Legacy, but the only time I regretted buying more was when I got an extra set of Polluted Deltas right before they got spoiled in Khans of Tarkir.

I have twice bought into Modern and regretted it each time.

(I also regretted getting into Vintage, but more because prices would have dipped a bit if I held off for another 3-6 months than because I don't enjoy the gameplay.)

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    What Modern decks aren't running basic lands? I can find a handful of Modern decks running only one (Affinity and 4-color Death's Shadow) but I can't find any running 0, and most decks are running multiple basic lands. It's certainly much easier to find Legacy decks running zero basic lands than it is to find Modern decks doing that.
    True story. Path to Exile is a thing.

Thread Information