Thread: Monoblue Belcher

Monoblue Belcher

I went 3-1 with this last night, beating DnT, Lands, and Esper Control and losing to BUG.

4 Goblin Charbelcher
    4 Paradoxical Outcome
    3 Tezzeret, the Seeker
    2 Painter's Servant
    2 Grindstone

4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe

4 Force of Will
    4 Pact of Negation
    1 Misdirection
    1 Hurkyl's Recall

4 Grim Monolith
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Basalt Monolith

Sideboard
    4 Defense Grid
    4 Flusterstorm
    1 Aether Spellbomb
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Hurkyl's Recall

Hurkyl's is coming out. I never liked it. Current runner-up is a miser Thoughcast.

Old versions had Land Grant+Tropical Island; that is definitely not the best configuration. My group is debating swapping the Seat for City of Traitors, but currently being an artifact and making blue are pretty huge.

I haven't really been working on the sideboard, hence why it was incomplete this week. Leyline of Anticipation is a cute option. Sanctity gives some more game vs discard.

Pacts came out in every single round, but I don't know if this is correct. They're dead in a lot of matchups, but Belcher gets at least 2 activations before the trigger, and the deck has decent potential to just pay for them (which I've done more than once).

It's a little sad that Painter's Servant doesn't let you put things under Chrome =(

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Re: Monoblue Belcher

I'll have to check this out - I was always a big fan of the vintage version (thread here - http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...oBlue-Belcher_

I'm surprised Land Grant wasn't good for you - Getting those first few mana sources was always the most important in vintage.

Hey, alphastryk, long time no see!

Coming over from the Vintage version, this one will feel a lot more like an uphill struggle. Your Outcomes are weaker and your mana is very choked. But of course, anything you switch to from Vintage will feel slow and vulnerable and terrible =P

Quote Originally Posted by serenechaos View Post
    I went 3-1 with this last night, beating DnT, Lands, and Esper Control and losing to BUG.

4 Goblin Charbelcher
    4 Paradoxical Outcome
    3 Tezzeret, the Seeker
    2 Painter's Servant
    2 Grindstone

4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe

4 Force of Will
    4 Pact of Negation
    1 Misdirection
    1 Hurkyl's Recall

4 Grim Monolith
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Basalt Monolith

Sideboard
    4 Defense Grid
    4 Flusterstorm
    1 Aether Spellbomb
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Hurkyl's Recall

Hurkyl's is coming out. I never liked it. Current runner-up is a miser Thoughcast.

Old versions had Land Grant+Tropical Island; that is definitely not the best configuration. My group is debating swapping the Seat for City of Traitors, but currently being an artifact and making blue are pretty huge.

I haven't really been working on the sideboard, hence why it was incomplete this week. Leyline of Anticipation is a cute option. Sanctity gives some more game vs discard.

Pacts came out in every single round, but I don't know if this is correct. They're dead in a lot of matchups, but Belcher gets at least 2 activations before the trigger, and the deck has decent potential to just pay for them (which I've done more than once).

It's a little sad that Painter's Servant doesn't let you put things under Chrome =(
    Any Blue Belcher list should be using Mana Severance if you're using lands with artifact mana.

Severance Belcher lists are ok for what they do, but they've never really been the direction I want to go. Requiring an extra card to go off and some "fluff" deck slots are not really where I want to be with Belcher.

Cool list. I wasn't a fan of the Mana Severance versions, this looks like a fun alternative. At first I was surprised to see a lack of brainstorm, then noticed there aren't a lot of shuffle effects to make it broken.

Since you're running Painter, why no blue blast? I know it's a minor alternate win condition (Painter-Grind), but if Painter is live, seems like a real easy plus.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post

Since you're running Painter, why no blue blast? I know it's a minor alternate win condition (Painter-Grind), but if Painter is live, seems like a real easy plus.
    Painter typically names Blue for my Forces and Misdirection, but I could definitely see running Blasts in the sideboard if the deck moves a little more into the PainterStone plan (at least 3/3 I think). That would also allow naming Red against blue decks to avoid turning on their Forces.

Dec 2014
    Philly area

Why Defense Grid over Leyline of Anticipation? Leyline is free and pitches to Force of Will later in the game, unless I'm missing something.

If anyone is still interested in this deck, it is much more reliable and powerful now with the flip lands.

4 Tezzeret the Seeker
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    1 Karn, the Great Creator

3 Goblin Charbelcher

4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Paradoxical Outcome
    2 Echo of Eons

4 Sea Gate Restoration
    4 Jwari Disruption
    1 Silundi Vision

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Force of Will
    4 Subtlety

(Appropriate Karnboard)

Narset incidentally shuts off a bunch of common stuff and occasionally you get lucky and blowout with Eons. Her dig finds 56/60, including the lands. You can also include a single Seat of the Synod or City of Traitors if you want, I prefer to be zero lands.

Thread Information