Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Re: MTG Arena

Uro banned in Historic.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...odern-historic

All aboard the cats and cauldrons train!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Uro banned in Historic.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...odern-historic

All aboard the cats and cauldrons train!
    ANyway, I was bored getting my uro exile by the god of lies :)
    But that seriously weakens the kinnan deck by removing an alt wincon

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I just started playing this on my phone today and I have noticed some things

1. The game needs to reconnect to the server a lot. It was smart of them to include this fact in the game's tutorial so I could be prepared for it to happen again later

2. There's no Lorwyn so there's no Kithkin. This bug almost caused me to delete the game but I held out

3. There are a bunch of active promo codes for free packs which I felt was pretty nice, not that 3 packs per set with 8 cards in each pack goes very far. I did get a couple mythics but since they aren't Kithkin I'm not sure what they do

4. Whoever decided that turning a card 15° was enough to indicate it's tapped needs to be defenestrated

I will keep playing because I'm a slut for f2p phone games and most other f2p TCGs have let me down (I can't get good at Shadowverse and Hearthstone lost its appeal when Baku and Genn totally fucked things up).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

The glorious interface of arena kept taxing my graphics card (why?) so I finally uninstalled it from my phone. So far I bought a big RPG off steam to waste my time but we'll see if I reinstall once that finishes.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I just started playing this on my phone today and I have noticed some things...
    I started playing last month, certain I would hate it. Turns out I love it...
    Initially downloaded onto my wife's POS all-in-one, but it kept having thermal events and shutting down the computer. So I bought a tablet for $450... to play a free game...

I just about have Torbran fully built. I'll probably jump into Bo3 Standard when I'm finished. Also 40/60 cards towards Historic Izzet Phoenix, but someone decided Brainstorm and Faithless Looting are rares, so it'll take me a while to accumulate that many wildcards.

Mostly I'm just surprised how much I enjoy playing Standard. I'm positive it has more to do with the accessibility to play Magic than any real interest in Standard. I also think if I couldn't just play a pile of haste creatures and burn I would have dismissed it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The glorious interface of arena kept taxing my graphics card (why?) so I finally uninstalled it from my phone. So far I bought a big RPG off steam to waste my time but we'll see if I reinstall once that finishes.
    When I tried to play Arena on my laptop even on the absolutely lowest settings, it would eventually cause it to overheat and shutdown. Granted, its a relatively old device but you'd figure this application shouldn't be such a resource hog.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    When I tried to play Arena on my laptop even on the absolutely lowest settings, it would eventually cause it to overheat and shutdown. Granted, its a relatively old device but you'd figure this application shouldn't be such a resource hog.
    It depends on your components, but the overheating is because the power settings are probably set at max performance.

I had to dig to find the system requirements:

Q. What are the system requirements to playing Magic: The Gathering Arena?

A. Minimum Requirements:
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ or Equivalent
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 8800 or Equivalent
    RAM: 2 GB
    Operating System: Windows 7

Recommend Requirements:
    Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560
    RAM: 4 GB
    Operating System: Windows 10
    Not exactly sure what the laptop equivalent to a desktop GTX 560 is, but that might be the issue.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

This game low- key reminds me of the Steam MtG game I played like 8 years ago, Duel of the Planeswalkers or some such. I always liked that game. After playing Hearthstone for a few years I've really come to appreciate a computer keeping track of the game state.

I think I found an issue with Foretell and disconnects though, I found I couldn't cast face-down spells for their Foretell cost if I exiled them prior to the disconnect. I'll have to see if it happens again I guess.

All in all this game is not too too bad. I think I plan on playing strictly little kid decks though, if there's one thing I can't stand it's a goddamned metagame.

I didn't see a way to play EDH yet, I will have to settle for Brawl I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

The glorious interface of arena kept taxing my graphics card (why?)
    Happens alot for most card games. I thing there is some kind of bottleneck for all the HD images of the cards. Also the initial load time for the client with all their HD ads... Idk most of the time I alt+f4 and play something else.

But I played my fair share of Arena got to mythic330 but then I burnt out and never got into the grind again.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I've ground up to Mythic a couple of times. It's really not worth it imho. Anymore I just play up to Platinum for the card styles then go mess around in the casual ques. Historic is a garbage town format right now, and Standard still suffers excessively from the last year of mistakes. It's just not remotely fun to play "who casts "i win" creature or spell first hur-dur-hur" in the ranked games.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I've ground up to Mythic a couple of times. It's really not worth it imho. Anymore I just play up to Platinum for the card styles then go mess around in the casual ques. Historic is a garbage town format right now, and Standard still suffers excessively from the last year of mistakes. It's just not remotely fun to play "who casts "i win" creature or spell first hur-dur-hur" in the ranked games.
    Good news about historic!

Good news about historic!
    That is good news. The article is kind of hilarious though. Like, the reason those decks "only" have a 51.5% winrate is because everyone is pre-boarded against them. I swear wotc isn't run by clowns, it's the entire damn circus.

EDIT: Honestly, half the shit in the strixhaven archive should have been pre-banned in historic. I mean, for fucks sake, Brainstorm AND Looting in a tiny format? And they're like "why is everyone playing red and blue?" Idiots is too kind a word.

That is good news. The article is kind of hilarious though. Like, the reason those decks "only" have a 51.5% winrate is because everyone is pre-boarded against them. I swear wotc isn't run by clowns, it's the entire damn circus.

EDIT: Honestly, half the shit in the strixhaven archive should have been pre-banned in historic. I mean, for fucks sake, Brainstorm AND Looting in a tiny format? And they're like "why is everyone playing red and blue?" Idiots is too kind a word.
    They have a 51% win rate because they play against other brainstorm decks 90% of the time. P Sully burst out laughing on the Odyssey episode of the resleevables when Cedric informed him that Brainstorm was legal but bolt was banned.

Brainstorm only suspended while Time Warp is banned is hilarious.
    Not to mention they didn't touch Looting which is a way worse for the meta.

The porting the mystical archive on arena was a stupid idea.
    Most of the cards were either legal in historic anyway or are banned in literally every arena format so they are pointless.
    I see the point of trying to keep parity with paper but some things just don't work and they should have just made those cards illegal in paper limited as well.
    Probably they only did it to sell the cosmetic skins of the awful jap alts.

TBH I don't see were they are trying to go with historic.
    With the collections they obviously try to force certain archetypes, they then introduce cards in the remasters that don't do the format any good either.
    Not to mention it takes them ages to do something in the online only formats.
    Maybe they want to get people back to playing standard by making historic and brawl suck ass ignoring that standards is even worse so people just stop playing all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    TBH I don't see were they are trying to go with historic.
    Seems like its intended to be a curated, eternal format for their Arena client. Since its curated, the meta could end up being similar to Legacy, Modern, or Pioneer. They could also end up scrapping the entire format if and when they have all of Pioneer on Arena.

Its really anyone's guess but I like the idea of a curated non-rotating format. In theory, you could make an incredibly well-balanced meta game that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    It depends on your components, but the overheating is because the power settings are probably set at max performance.

I had to dig to find the system requirements:

Not exactly sure what the laptop equivalent to a desktop GTX 560 is, but that might be the issue.
    Thanks. I only use the laptop when I travel but I'll have to remember to check into that setting next time.

Thanks. I only use the laptop when I travel but I'll have to remember to check into that setting next time.
    You might also have to make sure it's actually using the GPU and not the integrated graphics (I have had this problem with games before).

Seems like its intended to be a curated, eternal format for their Arena client. Since its curated, the meta could end up being similar to Legacy, Modern, or Pioneer. They could also end up scrapping the entire format if and when they have all of Pioneer on Arena.

Its really anyone's guess but I like the idea of a curated non-rotating format. In theory, you could make an incredibly well-balanced meta game that way.
    Pioneer is unlikely to come on Arena because it would directly compete with Historic in the role of premier non-rotating format. (Also, they actually make money directly because of Historic, so why mess that up with Pioneer?)

You might also have to make sure it's actually using the GPU and not the integrated graphics (I have had this problem with games before).

Pioneer is unlikely to come on Arena because it would directly compete with Historic in the role of premier non-rotating format. (Also, they actually make money directly because of Historic, so why mess that up with Pioneer?)
    They have said over and over their plan is for pioneer on arena

They have said over and over their plan is for pioneer on arena
    Do you really believe what they say?

Do you really believe what they say?
    Do I believe Wizards wants to put more products on their shiny flagship online money making tool? Yes.

Thread Information