Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: MTG Arena

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Re-installed recently and was absolutely amazed at how few players there were, including leagues and premier events just about to reach their time to fire. This when compared to when I sold out which was the day of Arena's public release.
    See, and here's the thing - I've never had an issue getting into an Arena limited event. I'm sure the queue is entirely different, in fact I guarantee it is not at all like a proper game of draft as I can logout and come back and keep playing my deck until I get my 3 losses (which for me takes not-very-long, I'm a garbage Limited player). MTGO events probably require the same thing a real 8-player in-person draft require, plus the requisite issues that go into keeping a stable internet connection.

And for as much as mobile gaming gears itself to be insidious, I have to admit it's convenient as fuck to have a Magic the Gathering button on my phone. The ease of being able to jump in, have a BO1 game and jump out no matter where I am* is pretty great. Maybe MTGO can do this as well, but it doesn't have a phone client.

* - too bad I'm on T-Mobile and there's literally a hole in their coverage that perfectly outlines the state I live in. I actually have pretty shit reception, but that's a carrier issue, not an Arena issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I have to admit it's convenient as fuck to have a Magic the Gathering button on my phone. The ease of being able to jump in, have a BO1 game and jump out no matter where I am* is pretty great.
    This has been the appeal to me, especially in the current reality where an unwashed mouth-breather can get you sick. Before Alchemy was a conversation, I decided I wouldn't spend more money on Arena except for the Mastery Pass. That's after spending probably close to $300 on a core of Red Historic decks and a harem of Historic Brawl decks.

I'm concerned about Alchemy, but hopeful that the raised fists of a million angry keyboard warriors will lobby for my interests and a Classic Historic will emerge and let me continue my sub-game of 'How Big Can I Get My Hand With Rielle' while facing another Tatyova or GW Enchantress clone...

***while I'm on the subject, they need to find a better method to display hands of over 20 cards.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    This has been the appeal to me, especially in the current reality where an unwashed mouth-breather can get you sick. Before Alchemy was a conversation, I decided I wouldn't spend more money on Arena except for the Mastery Pass. That's after spending probably close to $300 on a core of Red Historic decks and a harem of Historic Brawl decks.

I'm concerned about Alchemy, but hopeful that the raised fists of a million angry keyboard warriors will lobby for my interests and a Classic Historic will emerge and let me continue my sub-game of 'How Big Can I Get My Hand With Rielle' while facing another Tatyova or GW Enchantress clone...

***while I'm on the subject, they need to find a better method to display hands of over 20 cards.
    Agreed on all counts. Especially the last point, I've lost a game to the shitty UI of having half my 100-card deck in my hand, and judging by the opponent's brazen tapping out to make the play that made it happen, they knew full-well it would cause enough of an issue for their opponent that it was a safe play. I hate that I still wonder if I had drawn removal somewhere in those 45-ish cards. I hate that I roped instead of getting to pick the 7 cards I'd keep end-of-turn. It blows losing to the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

I wouldn't put my faith on that, at all. I think (and it's a first) WotC finally learnt how to ride the internet pile-up, which is to have some junior staff make a few vague statements, keep doing whatever it is they intended to do and wait for the inevitable disappearance of the original angry mob, to be replaced by the half-a-dozen faithful that will be left preaching to one another.

If this is the case, then we may be entering a new era of 'if you're not happy, there are a lot more that are' by WotC. Think we've reached the 'take it or leave it' stage.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Feels like such a mistake to me. Arena is probably the slickest way to play Magic on computer, perhaps not the most in-depth but certainly the most fluid. Having no avenue for an "Eternal-ish" format that reads just like paper Magic is... bothersome

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Why does the upkeep step not exist?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Why does the upkeep step not exist?
    I think you just have to set a stopper or be in Full Control mode? Not sure, I am currently playing such little kid technology that playing things during an upkeep would be like breaking the sound barrier on a tricycle - possible but highly unlikely

Unless an ability uses the stack arena won't automatically stop on the upkeep.
    You can set the stop manually (like on mtgo) by clicking the the icon to the left of the desired player. I think it's a dot?
    There's another one in the far right to put a stop on the end step

This is beyond funny:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/...already_begun/

Cards amended before they are even released. Rarity not part of card's image...

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    This is beyond funny:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/...already_begun/

Cards amended before they are even released. Rarity not part of card's image...
    Ehhhhhh

To be fair I don't give a shit about the digital-only cards actually existing in certain formats, I just want to play a Historic format where they aren't present, lol. As long as they do that, they can print digital cards that force both players to play a subgame of The Adventures of Lolo 3, only to decide that's too broken and change the whole card to a 1/2 with horsemanship for . Who cares.

Also, to an extent, this isn't entirely new or stupid. Cards have even been banned/restricted before they're released, or needed errata due to pants-on-head fuckups in the wording - you got your Wormfang Crabs, your French Scorched Rusalkas, you got that White non-creature that was printed with power and toughness for some reason that I can't remember the name - so like, dumb stuff like this is the least of my own concerns.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I realize it's a little bit like enjoying the sides when the main course is undercooked but this update is actually decent from a certain perspective. I like how the navigation is cleaner in the sidebar, it's more taps but it's less clutter, and it still saves your last format choice so it's not really a ton of taps if you're just logging in to play little kid Historic decks.

Speaking of which, I had to update my really bad Teferi deck to include the rebalanced Wizard Class card and I just straight-up removed the new Luminarch Aspirant from all decks which contained him, pretty sure that guy is dead now. Never did draw the new Wizard Class. Also my Teferi deck sucks, it draws guys when I need answers and gives me land when I need guys.

I would still really love to get a non-digital Historic format, I'm tired of playing against Tome of the Infinite. I said it would be a shit card to play against on initial spoil and I was right, dammit all. It feels really bad to lose to a mono-Blue deck because it got to break the color pie/color wheel/whatever we're calling it now, and cast Dark Ritual and Swords to Plowshares. I'm not fond of playing around these kinds of lines, that's a big reason I took a break from Hearthstone during the triple-class Discovery mechanic crap. It's a good example of the "bad RNG" that turns players off from digital TCGs; even if you're a dyed-in-the-wool digital-only TCG player chances are pretty high that you hate playing against this kind of crap. It's Mario Party RNG.

I realize it's a little bit like enjoying the sides when the main course is undercooked but this update is actually decent from a certain perspective. I like how the navigation is cleaner in the sidebar, it's more taps but it's less clutter, and it still saves your last format choice so it's not really a ton of taps if you're just logging in to play little kid Historic decks.

Speaking of which, I had to update my really bad Teferi deck to include the rebalanced Wizard Class card and I just straight-up removed the new Luminarch Aspirant from all decks which contained him, pretty sure that guy is dead now. Never did draw the new Wizard Class. Also my Teferi deck sucks, it draws guys when I need answers and gives me land when I need guys.

I would still really love to get a non-digital Historic format, I'm tired of playing against Tome of the Infinite. I said it would be a shit card to play against on initial spoil and I was right, dammit all. It feels really bad to lose to a mono-Blue deck because it got to break the color pie/color wheel/whatever we're calling it now, and cast Dark Ritual and Swords to Plowshares. I'm not fond of playing around these kinds of lines, that's a big reason I took a break from Hearthstone during the triple-class Discovery mechanic crap. It's a good example of the "bad RNG" that turns players off from digital TCGs; even if you're a dyed-in-the-wool digital-only TCG player chances are pretty high that you hate playing against this kind of crap. It's Mario Party RNG.
    The other problem with Tome of the Infinite is that you get to play cards that are not legal in historic. I'm not exactly sure if the randomness is enough to say something is ok to play out of the tome when it is not ok to play them in the format.

And they are really, really pushing Alchemy. The amount of free packs with this set is nothing I've ever seen before. Which kind of re-affirms my point that they are not going to reverse their decision re historic. In fact, I now think Standard will be far more stable than historic. Normal Standard's bans will be dictated by paper, so it will only be the really horrendous stuff, which is ok anyway. Alchemy Standard and by extent Historic's bans will be dictated on a whim according to perceptions of online play that are volatile as hell.

My quick take after an evening of play, Alchemy Bo1 standard is the same sh%$-fest as normal Bo1 standard.

They also seriously nerfed my brawl deck with the latest bans.

All in all, fu&^ this update.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I think regardless of what they intended for Arena they need to acknowledge what it's become for a lot of people.

In a way it reminds me of how Zoom blew up over the pandemic and they were forced to update a ton of code because whether they were ready or not it had seen wide adoption and they found themselves running to catch up to a much larger user bases set of expectations.

Arena may have been intended to be a digital-first Standard-focused experiment, but similar to Zoom it was adopted by users with a different set of expectations, and instead of rolling with it they're trying to force their original intent.

Alchemy is a deal breaker for me personally. They're just clearly taking the game in directions I don't like, and that's fine enough, I guess, but I'm not going to stick around and pay money for it. Wish I could see my Arena Account, it's got 4x of everything and bunches of wildcards.

Actually, hmm. Anyone know if you can change what email the account is linked to? That would be the key to letting me sell someone the login info.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Alchemy is a deal breaker for me personally. They're just clearly taking the game in directions I don't like, and that's fine enough, I guess, but I'm not going to stick around and pay money for it. Wish I could see my Arena Account, it's got 4x of everything and bunches of wildcards.

Actually, hmm. Anyone know if you can change what email the account is linked to? That would be the key to letting me sell someone the login info.
    https://dotesports.com/news/how-to-c...d-in-mtg-arena

^explaination of how to change your email/PW. FWIW, it is against the ToS to transfer an arena account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Full-House View Post
    MTG is a game 13+ (btw in cinematograph rating PG-13 allows nudity), while forum is open to anyone, and children under this age can see your picture and wonder how tezzeret is assosiated with anus and what is sexual t-rex means. Who knows where this path would take them? Are you responsible for their actions under the impression of your profile? I think no. You should be assamed.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Is there a Gatherer type of database for the "edited" cards?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Is there a Gatherer type of database for the "edited" cards?
    https://www.magicarenacardlist.com/

Sets can be selected on the left hand side column (select 'Rebalanced')

I like how the navigation is cleaner in the sidebar, it's more taps but it's less clutter, and it still saves your last format choice so it's not really a ton of taps if you're just logging in to play little kid Historic decks.
    Totally threw me off today. Had to do some play UB spells snd was sure, i have this historic UBg thing. Went a quick 5-0 then it clicked that my ranking thing never popped up. Stupid icons with no tooltip/help text. Was playing "fun" not ranked. Derp. Better UX? Sure. Good? Nope.

Was wondering why I kept running into rando 173 card piles of lol.

I am like I'm sure most are, that there's not a non-Alchemy historic.

Arena has already too many formats/versions of formats to clutter the ui and fracture the player base.

Given how much they don't care about the brawl formats I wonder why they are still in the client.

I'll probably stay away from arena until they add "paper historic" back to the options as I don't want to play with cards that perpetually transform my dudes into frogs who seek random spell books.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I don't understand offering more formats to be "fracturing the playerbase", do people make this argument for paper Magic as well?

I could maybe understand this argument as a strike against paper Magic when talking about demand for format staples but that's a non-issue in Arena; owning a single copy of a card lets you play that copy in as many decks as you can build, I'm not sure that adding or restoring a proper "non-digital non-rotating" format does anything besides attract people that might want to play that format.

Thread Information