Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Re: MTG Arena

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Do I believe Wizards wants to put more products on their shiny flagship online money making tool? Yes.
    Pioneer and Historic likely can't coexist, so it's easier to pick one, and Historic it is. (Doesn't mean they won't add cards that are incidentally Pioneer-legal, but Pioneer also has the burden of the paper format holding it back. Doesn't help that Pioneer is effectively dead right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Pioneer and Historic likely can't coexist,
    What is the evidence for this

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I've been enjoying Historic to the extent that I don't hate it just long enough to finish my daily $$$ quests and then quit immediately after. Like most magic in the modern age, it's about finding a deck you enjoy playing and that's it. Can you play a deck you like? (y/n) Then you will/won't stomach playing Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    What is the evidence for this
    I think the implication is once Pioneer is on MTGA they cannot coexist. In any event, I disagree with that notion. Historic can be a curated quasi-Legacy format and Pioneer and be the eternal "FIRE" format. For obvious reasons, these could be completely different meta games.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    I think the implication is once Pioneer is on MTGA they cannot coexist. In any event, I disagree with that notion.
    Yes that's what they're saying but there's no evidence of it being true.

Magic historically has shown that the game can really only handle one high-prestige non-rotating format, and right now that's Historic.

Doesn't help that Pioneer is basically dead right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Magic historically has shown that the game can really only handle one high-prestige non-rotating format, and right now that's Historic.

Doesn't help that Pioneer is basically dead right now.
    That isn't true and right now there two of them.
    Commander and modern.

Modern and Legacy coexisted for quite some time. Pioneer and Historic can easily become the MTGA version i.e. two non-rotating formats one being cards of the current design era and the other being the entire game's history.

And here's more evidence they are viewing Historic as the Legacy of MTGA:

https://i.imgur.com/jzqX10N.png

As an aside, this article was already taken down supposedly because it was meant to be published on Monday.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/stat...49764866641921

So Paper is still far more profitable than Digital. So no need to fear that WotC is going to abandon Paper for for Digital anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

So Paper is still far more profitable than Digital. So no need to fear that WotC is going to abandon Paper for for Digital anytime soon.
    There's actually so much in that 1 tweet, it's insane.

What kind of R&D do they need for a port to digital?
    How is that more expensive then the R&D for paper/design in general?

What kind of clowns is running this whole operation?

Also:

https://mtgazone.com/jumpstart-historic-horizons/

They are going to introduce all the crap nobody likes and can't be done in paper.
    Congratz clowns of the coast.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Also:

They are going to introduce all the crap nobody likes and can't be done in paper.
    Ah those sweet sweet Microprose memories. I'm ready to cast Goblin Polka Band again!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Also:

All three of those mechanics are pretty cool. However, other than seek, I believe they could have effectively been paper mechanics as well.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

All three of those mechanics are pretty cool. However, other than seek, I believe they could have effectively been paper mechanics as well.
    Well, Perpetually tracking through zones would be impossible. A creature given Perpetual Deathtouch would still have it after a Terminus. Never knowing which one it is that you drew afterwards would be a challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Paper is for Commander (prices even for Standard-legal cards are primarily influenced by Commander now, which is a sign) and Digital is for everything else, especially competitive Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Well, Perpetually tracking through zones would be impossible. A creature given Perpetual Deathtouch would still have it after a Terminus. Never knowing which one it is that you drew afterwards would be a challenge.
    I agree. It's not that it could be executed exactly the same in paper but most of the time it would effectively be the same.

The only thing that can't be done effectively is do "random" this but who wants random anyway?

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    You would need a unique to the ability sticker that you could put on the front of the sleeve.
    Team FireBrothers

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I agree. It's not that it could be executed exactly the same in paper but most of the time it would effectively be the same.

The only thing that can't be done effectively is do "random" this but who wants random anyway?
    By getting the first card in your library that does satisfy all criterias. Still abusable with something like brainstorm, so maybe starting bottom which is harder to do :)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

A shame this is an online only card. I would try that in Eldrazi Stompy otherwise since it works with Eye/Temple and generates card advantage. It could also grind value in combination with Displacer.

But since Seek pulls a random card that qualifies from the library without shuffling, we won't see it in Paper.

A shame this is an online only card. I would try that in Eldrazi Stompy otherwise since it works with Eye/Temple and generates card advantage. It could also grind value in combination with Displacer.

But since Seek pulls a random card that qualifies from the library without shuffling, we won't see it in Paper.
    Seems like it's not revealed either, nor can you use "prevalent" in paper and expect anyone to believe you.

At least now we have an answer to the pioneer vs historic debate.
    Historic gets the literal random garbage they pull out of their clown wigs.
    Ironic given the names of the format.

Thread Information