Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Re: MTG Arena

Yeah that's basically NWO philosophy which is what, 15+ years old now?
    Arena just rubs it in because it makes all rares equal in price

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

That Crimson Vow launch was pretty rough.

Maybe I'm soft on stuff like this after becoming a developer in recent years and going "oh fuck, yeah, you can't just say 'just release code with no bugs in it 4head', this shit is actually somewhat complicated", like I feel like I should have a stronger consumer-side opinion? It's annoying but I'm not gonna spike my phone over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    That Crimson Vow launch was pretty rough.

Maybe I'm soft on stuff like this after becoming a developer in recent years and going "oh fuck, yeah, you can't just say 'just release code with no bugs in it 4head', this shit is actually somewhat complicated", like I feel like I should have a stronger consumer-side opinion? It's annoying but I'm not gonna spike my phone over it.
    There's a difference between "code without bugs" and "it at least compiles ".
    It's just industry standard now to release whatever is pushed at the end of the day without more than 5 min of testing.
    The next few days are hotfixing the top threads on the subreddit.
    Saves on QA staffing and people buy things anyway.

I can see the "front line" dev side with lots of tough deadlines and nasty bugs because of rushed code.
    Management is really at fault here as well as the consumer for not punishing these practices.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    There's a difference between "code without bugs" and "it at least compiles ".
    It's just industry standard now to release whatever is pushed at the end of the day without more than 5 min of testing.
    The next few days are hotfixing the top threads on the subreddit.
    Saves on QA staffing and people buy things anyway.

I can see the "front line" dev side with lots of tough deadlines and nasty bugs because of rushed code.
    Management is really at fault here as well as the consumer for not punishing these practices.
    Yeah, I get the sense that industry standards are miles apart between the kind of dev I am, and what game development expects and requires. Whenever I hear Casey Muratori or Jonathan Blow talk shop about the way programming is supposed to be, I go "okay, I literally can't do 90% of what you do with the tools at my job and if I ever wrote the kind of code you guys like, my team would reject that pull request so fucking fast"

The lack of QA is pretty inexcusable regardless of the product.

It was a Windows update that broke it though right?

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Isn't that an even bigger failure?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

On my Android phone? :/

I mean if their servers are running Windows, big yikes

Down again, best comment on reddit: 'this is why everyone comes here to find out if anyone else is having the same error. the status page is useless other than finding out if the bug is probably related to an update'

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/.../is_mtga_down/

Yeah it was down again this morning and their server status thing is manually updated so it still showed green

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

It seems to be up and running again, but they still haven't patched the issue that keeps me from getting more than 3 wins in Limited formats

It seems to be up and running again, but they still haven't patched the issue that keeps me from getting more than 3 wins in Limited formats
    I'm stock pulling tokens until they fix that

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I'm stock pulling tokens until they fix that
    To be fair, the issue exists in Paper Magic as well

To be fair, the issue exists in Paper Magic as well
    No one's played paper magic in years

No one's played paper magic in years
    Speaking of not playing, after about 2 years recently started MTGO and, boy, there are a lot less people playing. Less people in every single room and league. Even some of the premium events that were within hours of starting were about 10% of the maximum numbers... I wonder if that particular economy was not totally twisted by the fact that the renting bots buy everything that they can loan if the prices would not be down to peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Speaking of not playing, after about 2 years recently started MTGO and, boy, there are a lot less people playing. Less people in every single room and league. Even some of the premium events that were within hours of starting were about 10% of the maximum numbers... I wonder if that particular economy was not totally twisted by the fact that the renting bots buy everything that they can loan if the prices would not be down to peanuts.
    That's actually pretty interesting, the effect of loan bots on card prices. If I was still in school I'd even pitch it as a research topic. Now you have be genuinely curious!

Lol, alchemy

Lol, alchemy
    For those not knowing what this is about, essentially, they are making a digital only standard format with cards that can be 're-balanced' at a moment's notice. Note, historic is now officially a rotating format (and you'll get no wildcards when your deck core is 're-balanced' and your deck stops working):

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...w_digitalonly/

Edit to say, WotC also noted that this is being done in lieu of putting resources into bringing Pioneer to Arena...

For those not knowing what this is about, essentially, they are making a digital only standard format with cards that can be 're-balanced' at a moment's notice. Note, historic is now officially a rotating format (and you'll get no wildcards when your deck core is 're-balanced' and your deck stops working):

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...w_digitalonly/

Edit to say, WotC also noted that this is being done in lieu of putting resources into bringing Pioneer to Arena...
    So it seems like this is the fix to "we can't be bothered to print balanced cards".

I suppose it makes sense since arena doesn't depend on the purchase of individual cards so much and they want people to keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post

I suppose it makes sense since arena doesn't depend on the purchase of individual cards so much and they want people to keep playing.
    Actually, it does. Outside draft, the only reason to buy packs is to get wildcards to allow you to craft the cards you want, it's indirect, but it's still a form of card purchase.

Actually, it does. Outside draft, the only reason to buy packs is to get wildcards to allow you to craft the cards you want, it's indirect, but it's still a form of card purchase.
    Yeah but that doesn't rely on the demand for very specific cards, as all cards have the same "value".
    For paper busted cards are used to drive sales.
    Win for WotC in both cases.

Thread Information