Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1098

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Has anybody tested Angel of the Ruins yet?
    No, but it looks pretty decent, even as a singleton in the board. I've been watching youtube vids and it seems there are often scenarios in which Karn-wish into Angel, cycle angel, weld back is a total hose.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to make a minor adjustment or two for playing against Emrakul, the Aeons Torn a lot? I play against SnT a lot and the only game-1 plan is to Karn into Tormod's Crypt and then combo, and then in reaponse to the triggers eat their gy. Is that correct? I know I can stall with Bridge, and lock them out with Lattice if things go longer, but it's pretty rough as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yah mill is inherently weak to emrakul. Other than gy hate the only way to win would be to make them draw a card at instant speed, but I’m not sure if there is a reasonable way to do that (temple bell?)

With 6 pyroblast and md canonist they should have trouble enacting their own game plan though?

Alternatively you can run a bridge, needle, oring or cratermaker main. More spicy is, with how good meddling mage is, and how the best combo decks are a+b right now, maybe nevermore is a reasonable anti combo card?

May 2015
    PDX

Would rather save a mana and wish for Sundial before ever submitting Temple Bell; especially if the deck has City of Traitors. It also makes it way safer to go for a Grindstone activation on your turn since you can exile the removal spell and try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Would rather save a mana and wish for Sundial before ever submitting Temple Bell; especially if the deck has City of Traitors. It also makes it way safer to go for a Grindstone activation on your turn since you can exile the removal spell and try again later.
    Ending the turn as a super stifle/Counterspell does seem nice. Also stops eot brainstorms. That’s a much better suggestion but possibly still not good enough.
    The best option is probably to md some gy hate like relic that doesn’t hit your welders.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Ending the turn as a super stifle/Counterspell does seem nice. Also stops eot brainstorms. That’s a much better suggestion but possibly still not good enough.
    The best option is probably to md some gy hate like relic that doesn’t hit your welders.
    But Relic does hit your graveyard...maybe you mean crypt?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    But Relic does hit your graveyard...maybe you mean crypt?

If you play Karn it just puts things in the wish zone.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

No, but it looks pretty decent, even as a singleton in the board. I've been watching youtube vids and it seems there are often scenarios in which Karn-wish into Angel, cycle angel, weld back is a total hose.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to make a minor adjustment or two for playing against Emrakul, the Aeons Torn a lot? I play against SnT a lot and the only game-1 plan is to Karn into Tormod's Crypt and then combo, and then in reaponse to the triggers eat their gy. Is that correct? I know I can stall with Bridge, and lock them out with Lattice if things go longer, but it's pretty rough as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?

Yea Show and Tell is one of the harder matchups. You're right for the Crypt, you can remove the Emrakuls all at once with their library. Game 1 you can cheese a lot of wins with Ensnaring Bridge if their list doesn't have any maindeck bounce or Cunning Wish, otherwise you are looking to assemble Painter+Canonist with blasts in hands while you either beat down or find a Karn to get a Crypt/Lattice. Postboard I've been taking out all my grindstones and going more beats/control, since a single Karn can wish for Stone and Crypt over two turns
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If you play Karn it just puts things in the wish zone.
    And turns off your 6 goblins.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Also stops eot fetching. They won't make that mistake twice.

How many Rip Aparts will you guys be playing, and where? I'm looking at 3 in the board in place of the Moons in moon-heavy builds or in place of 3x Bolts in Cap'n's (that looks funny) list, and then dropping bolt #4 for another Karn board item (I'm trying out a walking ballista).

Edit: Idk why I didn't ask, but does Brainstone get a consideration in this deck? Does Diamond Lion, since it is able to be grabbed by Imperial Recruiter? I am still without any real context as far as play lines go, so apologies in advance for anything obvious I miss.
    Last edited by Secretly.A.Bee; 05-08-2021 at 02:03 AM.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

How many Rip Aparts will you guys be playing, and where? I'm looking at 3 in the board in place of the Moons in moon-heavy builds or in place of 3x Bolts in Cap'n's (that looks funny) list, and then dropping bolt #4 for another Karn board item (I'm trying out a walking ballista).

Edit: Idk why I didn't ask, but does Brainstone get a consideration in this deck? Does Diamond Lion, since it is able to be grabbed by Imperial Recruiter? I am still without any real context as far as play lines go, so apologies in advance for anything obvious I miss.

No need to apologize, there's actually a ton of ways to move forward now with all these new printings. I'm just gonna hijack your reply to also rant about my thoughts on new spoilers. I guess I'll just start with what I've been testing:

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Plateau
    1 Great Furnace
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Mountain

4 Lotus Petal
    1 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Engineer
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

3 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Blood Moon

4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast

2 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    3 Karn, the Great Creator

side:
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Rip Apart
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grindstone
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Great Furnace
    1 Magus of the Moon

I started with two rip aparts in the board, replacing what had been a Hedge Mage and an Explosives. The bolts I feel are just too nice against a wide variety of the meta post-board where things like Ouphe pop up. They have been nice killing a couple Sylvan Libraries and doing other Abrade like things, also sniping some downticked Karns which is a huge win to me. I imagine it would be much more appreciated against decks like Show and Tell and Miracle Control, I just haven't run into those matchups as much. For now, I haven't been bringing them in against Rug or Ur Delver, as I don't want to fetch out plateaus there. In other matchups like Dnt and all the Junk variants floating around I have, which led me to put the Great Furnace as a wishable target G1 and option to board in as the 20th land to help out the Rip Apart splash. I like the current list, Delver is just a hard but winnable matchup and the list would have to be altered a bunch to improve it. Mono Red Imperial has always had a better Delver matchup in my opinion compared to splashing colors.

Anyways, I'm really excited to test the new weird land saga Urza's Saga

Urza's Saga
    Enchantment Land — Urza’s Saga

(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)

I — Urza’s Saga gains “{T}: Add {C}.”

II — Urza’s Saga gains “{2}, {T}: Create a 0/0 colorless Construct artifact creature token with ‘This creature gets +1/+1 for each artifact you control.’”

III — Search your library for an artifact card with mana cost {0} or {1}, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle.

This thing is effectively a half land, a problem I've had with the deck for a long time. I've always liked 19 lands, as it's the leanest it can reasonably go. 20 has always seemed flood prone, but appreciated in some land denial matchups. This is basically the middle, plus it tacks on stuff like make crewable weldable beaters for two turns off a sol land, then go tutor Grindstone, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond straight to play, or sideboard cards like Crypt. We can also Enlightened Tutor this, which in my mind is the missing value E-tutor card we've wanted.

For Diamond Lion, since he can be found by all our tutors (E-tutor, Recruiter, Engineer, Karn) there's strong arguments to having a copy somewhere in the 75. He crews and beats, which can't be forgotten either. The issue becomes space, and my mind went to a Lotus Petal, but that's the spot Urza's Saga would take. Also, Diamond Lion is different enough than LED in shortcake that it can't really replace it. Maybe it's another petal, but then white mana and weldable cheap targets becomes weird. Monkey is likely the swap in this case, otherwise shaving down to 5 blasts or 5 goblins.

Brainstone is actually pretty cool, but would need to be worked around as an engine card. I don't really see space for it especially at 3 total mana but I am curious to hear about others thoughts

To your point about a Karn board item, Walking Ballista is always a good option, as it can also be boarded in against stuff like DnT for a recruitable bomb. The new Portable Hole is I think a real consideration, where though I'm not sure. There's arguments for a copy main and side at minimum, and that this card is much better than I realize. For starters, an Engineerable or Etutorable maindeck answer to stuff like Ouphe or even removing a Goyf, and then on top having the same answer available to Karn in the board. Also from reading around it appears we can't abuse this thing with our goblins like an Oblivion Ring, it would just be reset back and forth

Portable Hole (W)

Artifact

When Portable Hole enters the battlefield, exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls with Mana Value 2 or less until Portable Hole leaves the battlefield.

I'm planning to test this:

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Plateau
    1 Great Furnace
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Mountain

1 Urza's Saga

3 Lotus Petal
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Diamond Lion
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Engineer
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

3 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Blood Moon

4 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast

2 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Smuggler's Copter

side:
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Rip Apart
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Grindstone
    1 Portable Hole
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Magus of the Moon

I don't know where I'll settle but I like the look of that one to start. I'll likely be testing a bunch all summer and posting updates.
    Strawberry Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Do you think the sorcery speed of Rip Apart is a problem? Are Abrades just sub-par now?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Do you think the sorcery speed of Rip Apart is a problem? Are Abrades just sub-par now?

Honestly they’re so new I don’t think any conclusions can really be drawn yet. Rip apart is definitely worse against delver I don’t think anyone can argue that. In theory rip apart is better overall and I like how it helps some of our harder matchups like sneak/omni as well as a big one in my mind killing counterbalance, even if the card is underplayed right now. This kinda goes with my larger meta theory that uw control always takes a while to adjust to new meta games, although at some point it gets figured out. there are enough random walkers running around too that I think rip apart will be good, and any answers to karn are always big
    Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

I'm starting with this deck as well, great reading so far, thanks all! As a former MUD player I'd advise tot use different kinds of fetchlands. Sorcerous Spyglass turn 1 revealing 3 of the same fetchland is a thing. Rare, but it happens !

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Wanted to give a quick Modern Horizons 2 update. List first:

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    1 Great Furnace

2 Urza's Saga
    3 Lotus Petal
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Engineer
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

3 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Blood Moon

4 Pyroblast
    4 Lightning Bolt

2 Enlightened Tutor

side:

1 Lotus Petal
    1 Grindstone
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Rip Apart
    1 Magus of the Moon

Saga is crazy good. I quickly went up to two copies after trying the first. They quickly snowball, and the uncounterable beaters/welder fodder plus LED/Petal/Stone and sideboard Crypt is amazing. Saga plus Painter is also an easy turn 3 win. I have aspirations of a third but need a lot more testing to see what sticks out.

The four bolts are a concession to Ragavan and UR delver, which appears to be the new deck of choice. We line up well, being able to block and play bolts and blast the new dragon, but it's still a very tough matchup. Saga helps here too providing more mana around Daze, and so far every time I've gotten Wastelanded, it's always been the Saga over Plateau/Sol land. Pressure off our Tombs is actually huge. I've been regularly e-tutoring for a Saga to hit my land drop and to just provide insane value over three turns.

I've made some concessions to fit in the pair, chopping a petal and letting it slot into the board. I previously had a Great Furnace, and I really like the petal there even more. A colored mana and free welder food/construct pump is a really nice board card. Saga provides similar overlap to Copter from a beater perspective and is just a lot better, so the second took that spot. A third copy is a lot harder, because I don't think anything else can really be chopped. I like the Simian Spirit Guide enough, and I'm hesitant to go any lower on colored lands. Then you're looking at City, and I don't think that's right either. So for now I'll run two and see what happens, but from initial games this list is sick. Between 4 leagues I've split them 3-2 and 4-1 twice.

The EE and Ballista are quick flex spots for 1 drop delver and whatever else, one of those spots will 100% be Portable hole. There are a lot of other moving pieces with the metagame right now that a lot could change, but this is where I'm starting
    Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

Urza’s saga is bananas in general; seems even better in a deck that can get grindstone. Could more copies be better than engineer?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Urza’s saga is bananas in general; seems even better in a deck that can get grindstone. Could more copies be better than engineer?
    Engineer helps hold the deck together with finding Bridge and Canonist. The entomb is extremely important. I'm trying a third copy over the third City of Traitors for a bit. The deck is slower per se, but it's a logical swap to try as City gets worse when some of the lands played previously blow themselves up.

The larger balancing issue I'm finding is that I've always played 19 lands. Saga is a half land, but still counts as the full land drop. Having 21 lands I've noticed I've been consistently hitting drops, so I don't think 22 is where I want to be. Just about finding the right split and seeing if the colors and mana aren't hindered
    Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

Hey, can anyone give me some reasoning, why most people play all 4 Painters main instead of one in the side to wish up with Karn? Picked the deck up right before the companion errata and copied one of the Jegantha builds with one Painter in the side, 0 Smuggler's Copters and 4 Bolt Main. Due to Covid I obviously haven't played it that much besides with some friends but I've always liked the Karnable Painter. Is there strong reason against that?

Sep 2011

Pyroblasts and 1/3 body (blocks Ragavan, crews Copter) means Painter is useful outside the combo, while Grindstone is pretty much useless outside the combo. So they would prefer to hide a Grindstone in the Karnboard, but are happy to see natural Painters early. Recruiter also means there are already enough tutors for Painter without Karn. Grindstone is harder to find.

Also, karn wish painter is 6 mana, which is kinda nutty. It’s not a big mana deck, so having 4 main is easier to naturally find.

I was on your side too a while back, but having tested both versions, I came down to the side of having 4 main being generally better to my style of playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Thread Information