Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Threaded View

[Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Alrighty. So having moved recently and having mo friends who play legacy (or magic at all) close by, this is all just theory-crafting. So I need some real-life fact-checking please!

Preparing for the Swedish nationals in the coming weekend, and I’m trying to figure out what 75 is the most effective build; partly for how I tend to play, and partly for how the general meta looks. I guess there will be a good number of people bringing pet decks, and others bringing lands, ur delver and dnt as the premiere hot stuff of the online meta.

Shortcake - you can outsmart me, but you can’t outsmart silver bullets!

18 creatures
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Goblin Engineer
    4 Painter's Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

2 PW
    2 Karn, the Great Creator

7 Spells
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast

1 Enchantments
    1 Blood Moon

10 Artifacts
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Grindstone
    1 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

22 Lands
    2 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Scalding Tarn
    3 Urza's Saga
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Portable Hole
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Tangle Wire
    1 Engineered Explosives

Ideaboard
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 spellskite
    1 hex parasite
    1 bolas citadel
    1 torpor orb

So far my real issues are:
    1. Is explosives worth it? It hits me bad, can’t really be welded, but it’s a easy way to kill chalices, and 1cmc-tribal decks.
    2. 5 blast main, 2 side. Yea, blue is still a thing, but is it really that powerful? And in a meta where I might meet stuff like Spanish Inquisition or trainwreck (assuming it’s the pet-deck meta), is it worth it?
    3. Tangle wire; sure it can lock down delver decks (read: delay), but so can a bridge and bolts and blasts and copters. And if I can cycle tangle wire in and out, aren’t I already winning as is?
    4. Karn side. My thinking is that some decks are slow enough, and I’ll need all the grind I can muster. But the meta in general feels a lot faster than a year ago. Maybe it’s better off as something else.
    5. Hex parasite/crucible. Yea, so infinite karnstructs seem like a great idea in theory. And so does killing off opposing PWs, and so on. But this is probably not what shortcake wants to do.
    6. Sundering Titan. The look on peoples faces when I land this guy is always priceless. Sure nationals are somewhat important, but I figured the probability of me taking down the whole event isn’t high, but the impact/statement I can make with Titan seems good.
    6.1. And if Titans impact is big, bolas citadel casting etutor off the top into the second of the combo piece to win with citadel blast seems even better!
    7. Torpor orb vs dnt and Oracle. Sure it’s bad with recruiters and engineers, but I’m not sure they have easy ways to deal with it. And that should give me enough time to win. I think. Or not?

Then, some more serious issues:
    Mana - 22 lands of which 5 are non permanent (2 city, 3 saga), plus 4 petal and 2 SSG. The extra SSG is just cuz daze seems so prevalent, and the 3 saga allows me to moon people without feeling too horrid about blanking cards in hand.
    Copter - I really liked copter. But it feels so hard to find space for it, and I’m wondering if it’s even good enough anymore. It kills delver, DRC, monkey, and can delay murktide/lage given enough welder effects, but it just needs so much setup to get it to work. Not sure if it’s better as something else.
    4/3 engineer/welder - yea, welder is better in a vacuum, but finding silver bullets is sorta my play style. I’m not sure there are enough artifacts here to make all of this functional, and I’m not sure being more gy based is good considering how many decks these days use the yard.

Currently, I’m tempted to remove a karn and a tangle wire from the board, and putting in a spellskite and Titan into the board. Skite being bolt-proof and protect welders and really make removal a bit awkward for the opponents, and I just have a hard time saying no to a beefy Titan.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by schweinefettmann; 10-31-2021 at 10:04 AM.
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Thread Information