Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

Re: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

I didn't invent the deck, it just inspired me to register on this forum lol. I think many of us share this childish drive to crap on cantrip decks with dumb green timmy piles.

I agree the deck could use some more threats, but they should be easy enough to find between OuaT and 1-2 GSZ. 7 mana is also not that hard to come by with all those sources. And don't forget the Shepherd themselves can be threats in a pinch. I was also thinking of fitting a Kogla instead of Tyrant/Rec sage, though I guess Rec Sage can still be crucial against a Bridge or a Moat. Shifting Triceratops also looks better than Questing Beast.

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Choke
    4 Veil of Summer
    4 Once Upon a Time
    1 Green Sun Zenith
    1 Kogla, the Titan Ape
    1 Shifting Triceratops
    1 Scavenging Ooze

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    6 Forest
    1 Karakas
    4 Turntimber Symbiosis

SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 4 Force of Vigor
    SB: 3 Questing Beast
    SB: 3 Tangle Wire
    SB: 2 Thought-Knot Seer

I guess you could cut a choke and a trinisphere or a veil to make way for more gsz or another creature toolbox, I don't know. I'd rather start from the most streamlined deck and then make adjustments from there.

Sep 2011

My mistake. I didn't know this deck's origin before TheSource.

Having played decks like this a lot, you often get stuck at 3-4 mana. 6-7 can take a long time even with OUAT. The nature of ESG, Chancellor, City (sacrifices), Mox (card disadvantage), and mulliganing into hate make it easy to hit 3 but hard to accumulate to high mana. Stompy decks need business at 3-4 mana.

Shepherd, Chancellor, Carnage Tyrant, Kogla, and Turntimber all require you to hit 6-7 mana to actually do anything. Until then you're just durdling topdecking until you hit lands. That gives even a blue opponent a lot of time to break your prison or kill you with a 2/2 + Tomb damage. Yes, blue decks can still resolve threats through Chalice @ 1 + Trinisphere + Choke + Veil. A 3-mana 2-drop will get there through all of that if you don't have a clock. Especially while Tomb damages you.

Threat density is an issue for stompy prison decks. The goal of the original deck was to convert acceleration (Chancellor of the Tangle) and disruption (Chancellor of the Annex) slots into threat slots using cards like Champion of Rhonas. While it looks janky on paper, and is, it also does something important: gives you business at 4 mana while making better use of the other slots to solve the threat density issue. Living Wish helps that a lot too. In my version, Keruga in the companion zone is your guaranteed access to a card-drawing threat so you can just go heavy on permanent prison cheese. But without all that, you need other business at 4 mana or more tutors.

OUAT doesn't really help because your deck is too light on cheap threats for it to hit one. It's 2-mana to put a land in hand. GSZ helps, but at 1 copy and few low cmc targets it's not enough.

If you really want to hate on blue, go to 4 Shifting Ceratops. It's uncounterable and can't be stopped by cheese like Coatl, Strix, TNN, Decay, Borrower, or Bolt. Thrun, the Last Troll is even trollier.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    My mistake. I didn't know this deck's origin before TheSource.
    OK, story time! Someone posted in the B&R thread that chalice of the void is propping up a lot of 'unplayable chunderbucket piles'. So, naturally I had to make a deck focused on resolving chalice (hence the chancellor of the annex) that I could call 'Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile'. The elvish piper effects seemed like the natural way to tie those two cards together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    OK, story time! Someone posted in the B&R thread that chalice of the void is propping up a lot of 'unplayable chunderbucket piles'. So, naturally I had to make a deck focused on resolving chalice (hence the chancellor of the annex) that I could call 'Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile'. The elvish piper effects seemed like the natural way to tie those two cards together.
    It does fit together well. Elvish Piper is so weak, but now Court of Bounty could be a significant upgrade.
    The Living Wish toolbox is good tech too.

Allosaurus Shepherd seems underwhelming on its own unless it's protecting a big GSZ or Natural Order. Otherwise the cards you need to protect the most are Chalice and 3sphere, which it doesn't even protect but Channex does.

I have just found out MTG Remy has gifted us with a theme song a month ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW_Q...osuNl&index=30
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Lol.

Howlpack Piper actually looks strong for this deck.

You can also add the green Initiative creature Undermountain Adventurer, which happens to help ramp into the 7-mana Chancellors or Turntimber Symbiosis.

Example: Chunderbucket Reborn

//Lands: 20
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Turntimber Symbiosis
    2 Boseiju, Who Endures
    5 Forest
    1 Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth

//Artifacts: 12
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

//Spells: 4
    4 Living Wish

//Creatures: 24
    4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Howlpack Piper
    4 Champion of Rhonas
    4 Undermountain Adventurer

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Endurance
    2 Force of Vigor
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Avenging Hunter
    1 Elvish Piper
    1 Terastodon
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Karakas
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Something like that? Monogreen's gained a lot of upgrades since you first brewed this deck. Endurance, Force of Vigor, Turntimber Symbiosis, Boseiju, Collector Ouphe, Court of Bounty, Yavimaya, and now a new Piper & Initiative creature.

That looks pretty strong! Yeah, definitely deserves a spin with all the new tech.

Winter Maze

Thread Information