Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] 5c Humans

Re: [Deck] 5c Humans

Here is a build I have been working on to mild success. Instead of running 5c lands to improve card quality, we are cutting down to 2 colours to run all the spell lands. This should provide strong smoothing in the end game when normally we might run out of steam.

To make that possible we are cutting hierarch for esper sentinel. We are also maxing out on lords and cutting recruiters since they synergize better with Esper Sentinel than a mana dork. Since we don’t have tutors and want legendaries we are playing Tomik.

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Silent Clearing
    4 Eijango, Seat of the Empire
    2 Scrubland
    1 Plains
    3 Karakas
    4 Wasteland

4 Aether Vial

4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Esper Sentinel
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Tomik, Distinguished Advokist
    4 Thalia’s Lieutenant
    4 Brazen Freebooter
    3 General Kudro of Drannith
    3 Brutal Cathar
    2 Orzhov Pontiff

So far this shell has been extremely strong vs delver and combo, my hope is the new NEO lands will provide extra staying power vs control and non-blue.

On a whim I tried the above list and got a 5-0. Only changes were - 1 tomik -1 Eijango +1 Adeline + 1 Plains.

2-1 Doomsday
    2-0 Enchantress
    2-1 8mulch
    2-0 Doomsday
    2-1 WUBG control

Compared to recruiter lists the extra speed of sentinel/kudro over hierarch/recruiter was game winning in the doomsday and WUBG mus. The maindeck pontiffs overperformed, killing many strixen and enchantresses. Adeline was pretty good. Tomik was hard to cast but ok. The ward on brutal cathars was crucial to beating 8mulch’s maze + tabernacle starts.

My brew has been insanely successful. It’s very heartening to see my theory based brew perform so well. Making sentinel a 2/2 is indeed a legacy level thing to do, and the benefits of BW (basics, silent clearing, hard cast sideboard cards, Eijango) are worth losing hierarch and meddling mage. In several matchups just killing the opponent with kudro was way more impactful than any recruiterable hate bear (doomsday, 4c control).

Eddie Zamora, the legacy humans dude, took it for a spin and immediately 5-0’d.

Douges, maverick enthusiast and certified nicest person in the legacy community, also got a 5-0 on his first try.

Based on the tweaks made by the above, and my previous comments, I think the following list is very clean:

4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Silent Clearing
    3 Eijango, Seat of the Empire
    1 Scrubland
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Karakas
    4 Wasteland

4 Aether Vial

4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Esper Sentinel
    2 Dark Confidant
    4 Thalia’s Lieutenant

4 Brazen Freebooter

4 Kitesail Freebooter
    3 Brutal Cathar
    2 Orzhov Pontiff

3 Mindbreak Trap
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Cathar Commando
    2 Kataki, War’s Wage
    2 Orzhov Pontiff

Last edited by Reeplcheep; 03-10-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

The only card I don't understand is Brazen Freebooter? Is it just there to be a 3/3? I mean, I guess a Treasure token does help to mana fix though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    The only card I don't understand is Brazen Freebooter? Is it just there to be a 3/3? I mean, I guess a Treasure token does help to mana fix though.
    Ooops.

Kitesail Freebooter
    {1}{B}
    Creature — Human Pirate
    Flying
    When Kitesail Freebooter enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a noncreature, nonland card from it. Exile that card until Kitesail Freebooter leaves the battlefield.
    1/2

Although not usually as good an effect as meddling mage, freebooter provides a similar role while staying WB. The evasion and only 1 coloured pip is also an advantage compared to MM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Ooops.

Kitesail Freebooter
    Ah, ok, that makes much more sense. I was rather confused why one would run Vial up to 4 with no other four-drops with that other thing.

Kitesail is much more obviously useful.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

The deck got another 5-0 last week.

People are still figuring out the 4 flex slots (bob and pontiff in my list) but the core of the deck is pretty solid. This is a good option if people want to play aggro decks.

I played BW in the prelim. I went 3-1 and had a very cool what’s the play:

2-1 UR Delver
    2-0 Elves
    0-2 ANT
    2-0 Stoneblade

The deck feels very strong vs fair blue due to the power of sentinel + a fast clock. However it is not the best vs combo or fair non-blue. It’s possible that the deck should switch flex slots to beat those matchups, for example cathar commando and sanctum prelate over bob and orzhov pontiff.

I got another 5-0 with BW Aggro Humans this weekend. The deck rolls over fair blue decks as they are currently constructed; I tuned the flex slots to be a bit better versus unfair/non-blue decks.
    WLW Team Italia
    WW Jeskai
    WW Jeskai
    WLW Trad. Lands
    WLW Dark Bant

Prelate over pontiff main felt good. I tried 4 eijango which felt like too many. I think 3 eijango 3 silent clearing is the sweet spot.

Not sure if anyone reads this thread, but I still believe this is a relatively cheap and aggressive deck that is well positioned in blue meta games. 2 power sentinels just ruins jeskai’s whole day. Some tuning of the land base and flex slots is still needed. But the other viable aggro decks have clear weaknesses that this deck avoids so I think it could fill a true niche. (merfolk and slivers have garbage removal, madness is pretty bad without LED, and burn can’t beat uro or combo).

ThrabenU played the deck and really enjoyed it, even if he didn’t do particularly well. https://t.co/0R5FF9Rws3

I got another 5-0 with BW aggro humans. Fiddling with the flex slots to improve the matchups that aren’t blue control or spell combo. Tomik was excellent vs maverick (makes KOTR into a goyf which you fly over) & delver (chunky flyer you can flicker with karakas). I think people underate MBT as a "mental misstep" against 8 cast, which is why it it is my favourite combo hate.

Easy but interesting whats-the-play below. Opponent has 11 life, 4 cards in hand, bauble and DRC in gy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Easy but interesting whats-the-play below. Opponent has 11 life, 4 cards in hand, bauble and DRC in gy.
    Go back in time resolve Kudro to stop Murktide.
    (drop cavern, cast kudro holding up wasteland or karakas, Mother targeting LT, attack with all remaining. Hope for now zero-cost interaction)

Feb 2014

Cavern on humans, Kudro (exile bauble), protect blue on lieutnant, attack to force the murktide block and kill it.
    If it goes, waste a volc for safety, and your opponent concede ?

Yah both of you are correct. Not too hard a line, but I thought it was interesting that neither of the default options with mom was correct (make the biggest attacker unblockable or keep which ever one is blocked alive)

I went 3-4 in the challenge with this:

3 Silent Clearing
    4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Karakas
    4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Thalia's Lieutenant
    4 Plains
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Esper Sentinel
    2 Scrubland
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Kitesail Freebooter
    2 Adeline, Resplendant Cathar
    3 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
    3 Brutal Cathar

3 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Kataki, War's Wage
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Orzhov Pontiff
    3 Surgical Extraction

I did decent vs delver so I think it is a good starting point; but got wrecked by a+b combo though.

WLW Standstill
    WW UR Delver
    LL UBR dreadnought
    LWL Painter
    WLW UR Delver
    LWL Delver
    LL Oops

It seemed what I lacked the most in matchups was removal for murktide or other must kill creatures
    Still a big fan of tomik for the flying body and wasteland/loam hate. Adeline did do insane amount of damage a few times, but maybe should be a silent clearing and a 4th cathar due to the above.

I’m not the only one having success with humans in this meta. Others got a 5-0 with my list and with the traditional 5c list

I tried out adeline over pontiff. I got a 4-1 & 5-0 in leagues and a 4-3 for 20th in the Saturday challenge. She offers some incredible closing power, in one instance racing both a delver and a Drc through a chump blocker. I had issues casting her on time in the past, but that was when I still had a basic swamp.

My challenge record was beat all the blue decks, lose to the fair non-blue decks as expected. I hit not nearly as much delver as I predicted. It appears the blue decks expected more blue too since I did get my plains pyroblasted before conceding a few times.
    WW Doomsday
    WLW UR Delver
    WLW Jeskai
    LL Elves
    LL Red Storm
    LL Staxless Stax
    WW Jeskai.

If the opponent isn’t playing cantrips (sentinel/Thalia) or counters (vial/cavern) the deck isn’t particularly amazing other than hoping the fast clock gets there. But I don’t know if that is worth changing; perhaps it is just something inherent to an aggro deck. It’s possible I am losing the non blue matchups due to not mulling aggressively enough for my sideboard cards. I mulled 7s without sideboard cards but I kept reasonable 6s.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 04-25-2022 at 10:18 AM.

I know it is usually considered a terrible card, but I think the Adeline version might want 1 Eijango Castle over the 3rd Eijango, Seat of the Empire

• 11 legendaries instead of D&T’s 5
    • 5 legendaries with the critical 2 or 3 toughness so that castle saves them from bolt. D&T has 0.
    • A weakness to jitte and strix.
    • Helps the other eijangos a lot, makes the channel less telegraphed and doesn’t legend rule it.
    • Cheap flying legendaries: Tomik can wall a DRC or Delver with it as early as t3.

I tried out the new card Night Clubber in the challenge yesterday. From my Twitter:
    I had my best MTGO performance ever today, going 7-0 into 3rd place. I ran hot and hit my targeted metagame (fair blue and blue combo). Occasionally Orzhov Pontiff lets you do cool haunt tricks, but I think Night Clubber is better overall. Some sweet interactions below:

It is pretty awesome to identify a hole in the metagame (a fair deck that can go under delver without auto-losing to combo) and succeed. Note that quarters was actually WLW and the delver pilot who beat me was Reid Duke.
    The deck is not the best against fair non-blue but I think that is acceptable. In return it has a better combo mu than something like D&T.

Sep 2011

Congrats on the top 4 finish!

If you're worried about more Rough // Tumbles (and Fiery Confluence), what about Absolute Law or Crimson Acolyte in the SB?

Acolyte is a human for obvious synergies.

Absolute Law doesn't require mana and is a permanent type that's very hard for UR, Grixis and monoR to remove.

Or you might want something as simple as Honor of the Pure (also fights Plague Engineer on Humans).

Thread Information