Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Deck] 5c Humans

Re: [Deck] 5c Humans

I’m worried those solutions might be too expensive. What about burrion forge tender or force of virtue?

Alternatively perhaps I am over boarding and should keep in more freebooters.

Sep 2011

Is 2 CMC too expensive vs 2+ cmc removal? I would think the card disadvantage of Force of Virtue would hurt more. Maybe not. Is your mana under pressure more than cards?

Burrenton Forge-tender is cheaper but not a human and only 1 shot. It's great if you just want to counter 1 Rough // Tumble. The advantage of those 2 cmc ones is they're permanent, so they also turn off Bolts and make combat unfair.

Freebooters are good but UR can cantrip into it too easily. How are you boarding for that match? Reid Duke also got lucky. Even with all the digging, it's over 50% chance to never see that 1-of.

Perhaps I am overthinking it; I did beat 5 fair blue decks 2-0 in the Swiss. My board plan was -2 night clubber -2 freebooter -1 kudro for 2 plow 3 Leyline. Thoughts?

Sep 2011

Hmm no point in boarding in anthem if you're already boarding out a lord. Keep Kudro in? Protects your team and attacks Murktides and DRC.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Hmm no point in boarding in anthem if you're already boarding out a lord. Keep Kudro in? Protects your team and attacks Murktides and DRC.
    if I am losing to sweepers rather than murktide maybe the leylines are a bad idea. I could find room for a 3rd plow and then just go -2 clubber -1 freebooter +3 plow

Some other ideas:

Veteran Armorsmith 2 cmc human is the sweet spot for dodging pe and rough tumble. 3 toughness so it survives itself. The only significant miss is mom and she can protect herself from the red ones. Veterean Armorer hits everything but dies itself more easily. Plated Sliver has been played in legacy before for similar reasons.
    If you curve it into kudro your whole board is out of bolt range.

more basics. The bad matchups are still mostly fair non blue. In those matchups casting my spells is more important than having extra gas; perhaps I should go -1 scrub -1 clearing -1 eijango +2 flats + 1 swamp

Yosoyez is the OG humans pilot and you should definitely ask him piloting/5c questions.

More success for the BW list:

Going through the data collection project,Wizard_2002 took my list to a 20th place finish on Sat.! Didn’t lose a single game to blue decks.
    LL GW Depths
    WW Delver
    WW TES
    WW 4c Control
    LWL Lands
    WW 4c Control

I got a shout out on everyday eternal

Douges streamed a league

I will go over my challenge with Nathan limpetz tonight.

I made some minor changes to the list and am doing decent in leagues.

• More Depths and Blue control over wasteland decks made me want a 3rd karakas
    • The non-blue decks are quite varied. Although Clubber is fine, Adeline fits better with the “just kill them” ethos of my build. She usually decreases your goldfish by an entire turn.
    • Adeline adds another big butt to the deck so I felt it addressed the damage based sweeper issue without running bad cards.

4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Silent Clearing
    2 Eijango, Seat of the Empire
    1 Scrubland
    3 Plains
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Karakas
    4 Wasteland

4 Aether Vial

4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Esper Sentinel
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Tomik, Distinguished Advokist
    4 Thalia’s Lieutenant
    4 Brazen Freebooter
    3 General Kudro of Drannith
    3 Brutal Cathar
    2 Adeline, Resplendent Cathar

3 Night Clubber
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Kataki, War’s Wage
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 06-10-2022 at 12:49 PM.

2W
    Creature - Human Cleric
    Vigilance

As Anointed Peacekeeper enters the battlefield, look at an opponent's hand, then choose any card name.

Spells your opponents cast with the chosen name cost 2 more to cast.

Activated abilities of sources with the chosen name cost 2 more to activate unless they'e mana abilities.

This seems very good for WB. 3 toughness is less of an issue without recruiters, and meddling mage was always the card that you missed most from 5c. I would probably replace Adeline with him. The taxing effect is also more relevant in a faster deck.

coppercoat vanguard seems like a godsend to the WB build. The deck is made up of tax effects and lords, and this card does both. You can see a league here: HTTPS://YouTu.be/uoKv2XX1Lww

I ran cut all the flex slots for 4 and ran it for the first time in a league. I went 3-2, and my losses were to timing out and a punt. Other new humans worth considering:

Loren of the Third Path
    Corrupt Court Official
    Daybreak Chaplain
    Enduring Bondwarden
    Esquire of the King
    Jirina, Dauntless General
    Scorn-Blade Bezerker
    Ambitious Farmhand

I’m most interested in Scorn-Blade Bezerker as it is cheap pump for sentinel. If you have a vial instead of a sentinel it is a sort of protection spell.

Gideon (blinkable with karakas, turns on eijango) and Weathered Wayfinder (great against G decks) were my other considerations for additional 1 drops. On a side note, will Kytheon see the token from Adeline as “having attacked”?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    On a side note, will Kytheon see the token from Adeline as “having attacked”?
    No, it only counts creatures that were declared attackers. Things put in attacking are never declared (and so won't trigger things like Kytheon).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I played another league and went 2-3. I still haven’t lost to combo or fair blue, but there is a ton of sol land/reclaimer decks in leagues.

I was always losing to t1 big creature OTD. I was bringing in plow a lot; maybe that should be my additional 1 drop? If I have vial I often have an extra W mana floating around. We get a bit bigger than zoo and don’t have any reach, so the lifegain isn’t a huge detriment. Is it reasonable to run 8 non-humans in a tribal deck? Merfolk runs fow and vial, sometimes daze. Slivers runs fow and vial too.

Something like this:

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Silent Clearing
    2 Eijango, Seat of the Empire
    2 Scrubland
    3 Plains
    3 Karakas
    4 Wasteland

4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Esper Sentinel
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thalia’s Lieutenant
    4 Coppercoat Vanguard
    3 Brazen Freebooter
    2 General Kudro of Drannith
    3 Brutal Cathar

2 Night Clubber
    3 Leyline of the Void
    4 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Loren of the Third Path
    2 Kataki, War’s Wage
    2 Palace Jailer

Coppercoat continues to be amazing. It is half tax effect, half lord in a deck that is lords and tax effects.
    Are enchantments a large enough portion of the meta now, between Kiki saga, Urza’s saga, beanstalk, & Leyline binding, that I should consider Dawnbringer Cleric over Loren or Cathar Commando?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Yoooooo. Welcome back, Reeplcheep.

I was staring at Brazen Freebooter for a while, trying to wrap my head around why it was in that slot. Then I realized it was supposed to be Kitesail Freebooter. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I was bringing in plow a lot; maybe that should be my additional 1 drop?
    Any creature-heavy deck is going to want removal, and StP is the gold standard.

Coppercoat seems great.

For enchantment destruction, I would go with Loran of the Third Path because of the synergy with Aether Vial and Karakas.

Delney, Streetwise Lookout
    {2}{W}
    Legendary Creature — Human Scout
    Creatures you control with power 2 or less can’t be blocked by creatures with power 3 or greater.
    If an ability of a creature you control with power 2 or less triggers, that ability triggers an additional time.
    “It’s not a matter of what I know. It’s a matter of making it worth my while to tell you.”
    2/2

I believe this is a good replacement for Kudro in this deck. Unlike D&T, we have 16 onboard triggers to make value immediately without needing to untap. It’s essentially a lord for champ/lieutenant, and even better with sentinel/vanguard. It also goes nuts with Orzhov pontiff/kitesail freebooter; between goblins and bowcaster there is a lot of small creatures going around.

Something like this maybe:

4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Silent Clearing
    3 Eijango, Seat of the Empire
    3 Scrubland
    3 Plains
    3 Karakas
    4 Wasteland

4 Aether Vial

4 Champion of the Parish
    2 Chop Down // Giant-Killer
    4 Esper Sentinel
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thalia’s Lieutenant
    4 Coppercoat Vanguard
    4 Kitesail Freebooter
    3 Delney, Streetwise Lookout
    2 Brutal Cathar
    3 Orzhov Pontiff

3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Leyline of the Void
    4 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Loren of the Third Path
    3 Dawnbringer Cleric
    1 Palace Jailer

Sep 2011

Delney's double trigger works really well with Recruiter of the Guard or Militia Bugler, which are both Humans.

Unfortunately it has diminishing returns with the Lord effects. Coppercoat Vanguard gives 1/xs Ward 2 but 2/xs and 3/xs only Ward 1, and it stops Brutal Cathar from double exiling. Esper Sentinel double triggers for 2 as a 2/x (pay 4 or draw 2) but then only single triggers for 3 as 3/x (pay 3 or draw 1).

Thread Information